Using a Sharpie on desktop

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChristyF, Jul 3, 2015.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 3, 2015

I've seen a lot of ideas from teachers about writing on student desktops with a Sharpie/paint pen and how easilythey come off. I have paint pen in hand, but I'm too chicken to take the final step. Lol have any of you done it? I'm wanting to label their jobs (just one or two letters) on the corner of their desk. It would stay all year. If you've used the pens, which did you use? Was it oil based? Thanks!!

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 3, 2015

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 3, 2015

I can get sharpie off the desks by just going over it with a dry erase marker. Comes right off. We've done that on whiteboards after the sharpie has been there for months.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 3, 2015

If you're still worried, you can use a bit of the thin & clear packing tape and use a sharpie on top of that. Those come off easily and doesn't leave any sticky stuff.

Another option is the Magic Eraser. That stuff makes everything come off really easily! :)

6. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 3, 2015

You can always use Wet Erase markers too. They usually last me 2-3 weeks before starting to rub off (unless my students actively use bottled water or something to mess with it).

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2015

I haven't used them, but some coworkers did. They said it didn't stay on all year.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 3, 2015

I'm trying to avoid tape. I used adhesive pockets last year and by the end of the year they looked awful. Kids would randomly pick on them and it was bad. I'm fine redoing the paint throughout the year. In fact, I feel better thinking that the paint won't be on all year for me to clean off. lol I use Sharpie on laminated items in my room and clean it off with a dry erase marker. It's just the desks that made me nervous.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2015

I would just test it on one desk first since you're worried.

10. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 3, 2015

Sharpie usually comes off with a comet bleach/water paste.

11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 3, 2015

Magic Eraser it is then! :)

That stuff also takes off goo leftover from old contact paper!
    I even used it once to "clean" my white birkenstock sandals and it started taking off the black birkenstock logo so I had to stop.. :lol:

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 3, 2015

I've done some research and several blogs say that Clorox wipes remove the oil based paint. So, that's out. We use wipes on our desks almost daily to clean. I know the regular Sharpie comes off easily, so I'm going to stick with that. Thanks!

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 3, 2015

I write on my desks and white board with sharpie. It comes off with rubbing alcohol.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2015

I use post its or 3x5 cards taped to kids' desks to remind them of pull outs, behavior contracts, schedules, etc....cleaning desks is not what I do...kids wipe weekly with baby wipes....not going to be buying special cleaning products or exerting too much energy into clearing paint pens or sharpie off desks....:2cents: plus my kiddos change seating every other month or so...taking a post it or 3x5 card with them to new desk is more expeditious!

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 3, 2015

My kids normally clean their own desks, but I'm certainly not too good to clean a desk.

16. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 3, 2015

Sharpie on desks can easily be removed by a Magic Eraser. I wrote on some last year and when I started to want to move them around two or three swipes with the Magic Eraser and it was gone.

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 3, 2015

I'll definitely go the magic eraser route for the cleanup. :) thanks!

18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 4, 2015

If you write over Sharpie with a whiteboard marker (I buy cheap ones at a dollar store for this purpose), it will take the Sharpie off. I keep some of the Expo marker cleaner spray handy to get it completely off.

(I found out this trick when a teacher accidentally wrote on my whiteboard with Sharpie. Another teacher knew exactly what to do! :) )

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 4, 2015

I write on stuff with sharpies no problem - hand sanitizer gets it off.

20. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jul 4, 2015

I wrote on my desks this year with sharpies because my 5th graders would frequently "forget" where they sat. It was also a huge help for a sub if I was out. The only problem I had was that I had an amazing custodian who would clean my desk several times a week to the writing faded quickly.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 4, 2015

I used to clean the desks every day before I left. Just the idea of those germs made me crazy.

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 4, 2015

Me, too, Daisy. I have three groups of kids rotating through there. Lots of germs floating around.

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 4, 2015

Shuddering....

24. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 5, 2015

I use Sharpie oil based pens, and goo gone also, but the goo gone stinks up the room terribly, so be sure you have good ventilation when using it. Although, but students (somewhat sneakily ) discovered that hand sanitizer works just as well to remove the marker. I used hand sanitizer to take it off desks at the end if the year. Other than that, they're permanent until you want to get rid of them.

Edit: sorry, I don't use Goo Gone! I use Goof Off. http://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-Miracle-Remover-4-5-Ounce/dp/B001AHAN2M

25. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jul 5, 2015

Write over any permanent marker with dry erase marker. Takes it off like magic.
    I write with sharpie on my kids' desks all the time. I write on my board with sharpie sometimes when I need something to stay for a while.
    I've never had something not come off with the dry erase marker trick.

26. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Jul 5, 2015

Art teacher here. Sharpie will be completely removed with isopropyl rubbing alcohol--90% works, not the 70%.

As for oil based pens, try Terpenoid Natural:
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/w...hBi2JO5kKCVwZ0q1e78PIdQ9-1esTERL_ShoC3nDw_wcB

It doesn't stink like a solvent and a little goes a long way. If you're worried about fumes, however, sharpie marker and alcohol are probably the least toxic--just open windows if needed.

27. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Jul 5, 2015

another thought: you might want to try making a stencil or getting stencils that you can re-use to refresh your writing. FYI--kids LOVE writing on desks so giving them "stencil duty" might be a great reward that they would be psyched to have!

28. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 6, 2015

I had not thought of just using a sharpie to write on desks. I do know hand sanitizer helps remove sharpie.

I have let students use desks as dry erase boards.