Uses of Videos on Youtube

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tuankiet153, Jul 18, 2020.

1. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Jul 18, 2020

I will be giving direct instructions to my students when it comes to online learning. I also gather some relevant videos from youtube and post them on my google site for their reference as a supplemental resource. Will I violate a fair use or copyrights if I insert a video from youtube into my google site for my students' learning?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 19, 2020

We were told that if we would use it in regular in-class instruction then we can use it in our Google Classrooms because it is a closed type of setting. Only your students have access. Now, if you post to a website where anyone would have access, that’s an issue sometimes.

4. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Jul 19, 2020

But it is on youtube that everyone can have access to too. Google site has a function that allows you to find a video on youtube to embed the video since this is an open source. My tech team did the same.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 23, 2020

So why not ask your tech team?

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 23, 2020

As long as the tool still links to the original video, that's fine. You cannot download it and reupload it somewhere else.

tuankiet153 likes this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2020

I would often email myself the link to a video that I was going to use in class that day, for easy and quick access. Our tech team said that was fine - I wasn't distributing it as my own, or reposting it anywhere. Youtube is glad you are using material found there, and I was able to share the web address should students want to review at home. In other words, I don't believe that you are out of line using youtube on your google site. You might go so far as to say something along "feel free to visit these youtube links for more in depth study." Youtube would love that, trust me!

tuankiet153 likes this.
  8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 23, 2020

It wouldn't be a fair rights issue because the video is on Youtube for all to see. If it is monetized, then students clicking on the link would actually make them money.

The only issue I could see is if students are accessing it from school (in class instruction) and Youtube is blocked, which was the case at our school.

9. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Jul 23, 2020

Insert/embed means that the videos are still linked to youtube. Students can either watch videos on my Google site or youtube. I never download videos and repost them because I know that it violates copyrights or fair-use and it is time-consuming. Alright. I am confident to insert videos from youtube in my Google site. Thank you for all you do.

MissCeliaB likes this.
  10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 24, 2020

Adding to my original post . . .

YouTube is owned by Google. They even incorporate a single step way to insert YouTube videos in Google Classroom. Not a problem.

MissCeliaB and tuankiet153 like this.