Uses for can lids?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Dzenna, May 26, 2008.

1. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

May 26, 2008

I've been saving can lids (not sharp) for about a year. I use them at Christmas as bases for toilet paper roll candles. I will have quite a few extra next year. Any ideas for uses?

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 26, 2008

You can tape pictures or glue on them and the students play memory games or other matching games (ie. opposites) with them.

4. Xtine

Xtine Companion

May 27, 2008

Juice can type lids? You can use a nail and make a dent in the center, have the kids decorate circles of paper the same diameter as the lids. When they're done, glue them on the lids and spin the lids, it's a good lesson in color mixing if they only use the primary colors.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 27, 2008

:2cents:If you have a woodworking unit or table can lids can make quite lovely projects when hole punched. Use the large nails that one would use with small people in the woodworking area (we use large ones so that they have a large head to hit-whatever your children are used to hitting with hammers is fine). Then have them punch the lid until there is a hole. Pull nail and move to next hole. For older children Sharpies or other teacher markers can be used to make guides for letter shapes or pictures. It is a time consuming project, but even my 3's can do it after a while of working with the hammers. We usually start by pounding golf tees into pumpkins during the fall and then by hammering large nails into a large stump after that. This project is a take home. This is great for fine motor, self esteem, hand/eye coordination and gross motor. Really works on the strength in your writing hand-lots of supervision please.

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

May 27, 2008

Thanks everyone!

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 24, 2008

you can put their picture or names on them and put velcro ont he back. I have area signs (blocks, table choices, kitchen, sensory table, etc) in each play area and a "playtime poster "-- mine happens to be color coordinated-- and each area sign has a designated number of velcro spots on it--indicting how many children can play in that area at once (3 int he kitchen, 4 with table choices, 2 int he block area etc). When a child wants to play in an area, he takes his name and puts it onthat area's sign. If he leaves that area to play somewhere else he takes his name to the new area-- if the sign is full then he knows the area is full and need to make another choice. when it is time to clean up I can esily tell who played where last

8. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 24, 2008

Great idea! Thanks!

9. Edu Katy

Edu Katy Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

We use them in the Art Center to trace for circles. In the Spring we make wind chimes with them. (Make a hole in each lid and then tie a yarn string on each making them all different links where they can touch. Use a plastic butter or coffee can lid, punch holes around the outside and tie on lids with strings. Colored streamers make them much prettier.)

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 2, 2008

Great ideas I never thought about!!!

11. LA-4

LA-4 Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

We have a tradition in our family of using the juice can lids to make gold medals for dad to be ceremoniously given on Father's Day. I drill a hole in each one for a ribbon to be strung later and spray paint them gold. On one side we write Father's Day and the year. On the other the kids make up their award: World's Best Swimming Buddy, Favorite Basketball Coach, etc. I gave him the Favorite Car Pool Driver and the dog gave him Best lamb bone sharer. We write the giver's name on the bottom. Then I spray again with clear spray and add the ribbons.

I have used this idea at school to give awards. One time we had a teddy bear day and we gave these awards to each bear while they were at gym class. Biggest Bear, Best Dressed Bear, Most Colorful Bear, you get the idea.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 3, 2008

Oh I love that medal idea!!! thanks