Useless white board makeover...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissEducation, May 20, 2011.

1. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

May 20, 2011

I'm posting this in Elem. even though I teach 7th grade because I know elementary teachers are wizards with creative classroom decorating! :)

I have a large dry erase board in my room that I rarely use because I have a smart board. I only have one large bulletin board so I'd like to turn the other board into a display board. It isn't magnetic, so the only way I've found to decorate it is to hot glue paper or material to it for a background, then I have to either tape or glue everything else onto the material/paper. When I want to take it down, the background is all torn up so I have to start from scratch. It's a big pain to put it up/take it down, so I only did it once the whole year. I'd like it to be more functional as a board where I can display information for class, but I'd like it to look a little jazzed up. I don't know if I'd be allowed to paint, but I'm thinking probably not (and that paint would chip up anyway.) Let me know if you have any suggestions!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 20, 2011

I bought some of these to hang up some student work that I don't want ruined. They stick securely and didn't ruin the paper. Maybe you could use something like this for the background?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 20, 2011

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 20, 2011

My one room is the old drafting class room so it has this chalkboard with graphing lines. I covered it with bull. board paper & use it as the Wall of Fame that students can sign their name to. They use big sidewalk chalk in bright colors & it turns out pretty neat. I also put a border around it that matches the border o my bull. boards.

You could also use a large pocket chart or a couple smaller ones. I use my charts for word walls & our Song of the Day cards.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 20, 2011

If you could laminate your background pieces in smaller sections (so it could fit in the laminator), then you could hot glue/tape to the white board. Then papers you tape to it would not rip the background. I actually did this with tissue paper. The tissue paper was the only thing I could find in the color I wanted. Worked like a charm.

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 21, 2011

Could you hot glue cork board squares to it? Does it have a ledge? Maybe you could buy a big bullitin board and lean it up on the edge in front of the white board? Cork board is the most flexible material if you can find a way to use that. Then you can use pins to display your work.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 21, 2011

Wait! The easiest solution is to not worry about a background but use magnets for borders. I buy the magnets sold in a small box to go on the back of business cards because it is cheaper by the inch and cut them into small pieces and put on the back of the borders. It is quick to do and fast to take up and down. I have the standard size large white board and a package of border will go around it with a little left over.

As to the projects, Lakeshore sells magnetic clips you can actually use a dry erase marker to put their names on or just use any magnets or magnetic clips. It works well and you can move things around to suit your tastes without having to take stapes out.

9. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

May 21, 2011

Wow...great ideas! Thanks!!! Maybe I'll actually manage to take and post a picture of the finished product.

10. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

May 22, 2011

The teacher before me put up duct take on the white board and it took me days to get all the tape and glue residue off the white board. I wouldn't think I could hot glue anything onto the white board. Across the top of our board is a cork strip where I could tack up fabric or paper if I wanted to.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 23, 2011

Yes, I would definiately test out a small section before doing the whole thing. Packing tape comes easily off my whiteboard. If a little sticky is left over, EXPO cleaner does the trick.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 23, 2011

I display student work with these:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/stikki-clips/

They hold paper, stick to anything, and don't tear up paper if you remove them carefully. You could leave up the same background and just change out the student work.