Useful Web sites for single subject math/science

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. nakdragon

nakdragon New Member

Dec 7, 2010

Does anyone if Jay still have his booklet for sale? i tried emailing innovationguy but haven't gotten a reply.

2. k3nd0411

k3nd0411 Rookie

Jan 20, 2011

Have you gotten a reply yet nakdragon? I just emailed Jay today.

3. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Jan 20, 2011

4. bdd

bdd Rookie

Mar 11, 2011

5. cset1

cset1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2011

I just found out this morning, that I passed both Bio 120 and Bio 124. I had only 3 weeks to study, and I did NOT have the Campbell Biology book available to me.

This website was tremendously helpful for me!

http://biologyjunction.com/ap_powerpoints_7th.htm

6. shikshak

shikshak Rookie

Jun 19, 2011

Taking Earth Science Subset III on July 9,2011

Hello:
    I am taking the above mentioned test on July 9, 2011. I do not have much time therefore I would like the name of a textbook that would be adequate within the short time I have for studying. Also I found a website:

http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078664233/student_view0/self-check_quizzes.html

They have quizzes and chapter tests. Are these adequate?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2011

I don't know whether there's really ONE book that will do it all, frankly. An A to Z member named Malcolm posted some good suggestions a while back: if you search the Members List for his threads, you should find some useful insights.

8. Soccerhockey

Soccerhockey New Member

May 12, 2012

anyone have an OCDE math subtest 3 (112) study guide they wouldn't mind selling to me?

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 13, 2012

Welcome to A to Z, Soccerhockey. How have you fared on Subtests I and II?

10. Soccerhockey

Soccerhockey New Member

May 14, 2012

I just took subtest II on the May 5 test date which I know I passed though I haven't yet received the score. (felt very confident on almost all the questions)

I passed subtest I with overall on the MC ++++ and CR +++.

(both were first attempts). I'm an elementary teacher but looking to switch to secondary. I have no math background but really enjoy teaching it. I'll be getting a calculus textbook and working through it (hopefully by the July test date... if not then in September).

11. samk

samk Rookie

Jul 24, 2012

I have OCDE guide books for sale. CSET MATH Subtest I & II. Both guide books helped me to study & pass the tests on the first attempt. I will sell at the price, reasonable for both of us. Thanks

I am also selling Jay's (Innovation guy's) CSET Math Subtest II guide book. PM me. Good day.

12. rurihoshino60

rurihoshino60 Rookie

Sep 10, 2012

I'm looking to buy used copies of the OCDE guide books for the math subsets I and II. If anyone has copies or knows where I could find them online please let me know.

13. samk

samk Rookie

Mar 26, 2013

I have OCDE guide books for sale. CSET MATH Subtest I & II. Both guide books helped me to study & pass the tests on the first attempt. I will sell at the price, reasonable for both of us. Thanks

I am also selling Jay's (Innovation guy's) CSET Math Subtest II guide book. PM me. Good day.

14. SkinnyPrincess

SkinnyPrincess New Member

Oct 1, 2013

i want to buy your books

Hi, I want to buy your books. this is my first time buying books like this. what is "PM"? I live right next to UCLA. thank you.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 1, 2013

"PM" is "private message". Think of it as back-channel communication, but still on A to Z: this is how members share things they don't want to make public, such as their contact information.

I think neither you nor samk has enough posts to be able to PM each other, but perhaps samk will respond to your post publicly and let us know whether the math materials are still available.

16. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Feb 10, 2014

I'm resurrecting this older thread to express a huge thank you to all who have shared resources and tips, especially about the CSET science tests.

I signed up for CSET science subtests 118, 119, and 122 in December and had only the two weeks of winter break to study before taking the tests in January.

I'm a middle school English teacher, recently moved to elementary to take an instructional coach position. More importantly, my last science class was in high school, over 20 years ago.

But this thread and the great resources mentioned, especially the UCI online study course, helped me maximize my limited learning time and pass all three subtests on the first try!

Big thanks to Peachyness, TeacherGroupie, and all others who have posted helpful information on this thread :) Love this community! :thanks: :thumb::up:

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2014

Woohooo!! Congrats Avalon!

18. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Feb 10, 2014

Thanks so much, Peachyness! The CSET study guides on your website were a godsend. Thank you for sharing so generously!

I studied and wrote answers for each content domain like you did. But when a concept, or the standard that described it, seemed a bit convoluted, your guides were my go-to for clarity.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 10, 2014

Congratulations, Avalon!

20. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

May 26, 2014

21. bmop

bmop New Member

Feb 28, 2015

Does anyone know if there are updated prep resources for the new Common Core exams, 211, 212, and 213? They were implemented 12/29/14. The old tests were phased out. I'm sure there's some overlap, so I'll do what I have to, but it would be nice if there was a focused test prep book out there somewhere.

22. gaylestuff

gaylestuff Rookie

Apr 16, 2015

Best Tried and True Test Prep Site

Hi,

I have used Examedge.com for taking several GACE exams. It had been MANY years since I've taken any sort of Business or Science classes. I purchased three of each test from Examedge and passed first try on both Business Education and Middle School Science. I didn't use any other books or sites for those two exams.

I also used ExamEdge to prepare for my Math and Special Education Exams. I can't give them 100% credit for those two exams because I also took a Sped class and used other sites for help in Math.

23. 2bteacher

2bteacher Rookie

Apr 14, 2017

Hi,

I am planning to write CSET - Foundational Math Set 1. Can anyone suggest test prep books and online resourses?

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2017

For books, look for posts by innovationguy and Malcolm; some of them will be old, but my sense is that the advice is well worth following.

25. 2bteacher

2bteacher Rookie

Apr 16, 2017

Thank you for the help, @TeacherGroupie. I will look for posts by innovationguy and malcolm.

26. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Apr 17, 2017

I wish you well on your preparation. The 1st two subtests are quite challenging but Subtest 2 tends to be easier for most candidates. I say this as someone who is a Math major, yet I myself prepared rigorously for 3-4 months before I took all 3 subtests. I do hope you shall persevere and work hard to prepare for the tests; dont take short-cuts, dont cut corners, dont try to take the easy way out.

In short, conduct yourself as you would expect your own students to comport themselves: prepare vigorously. Because the only sure-fire way to excel is: STUDY bloody hard. Typically, you should be applying yourself about 2-3 hours daily, and 4-5 on weekends. You shouldnt socialize excessively, you shouldnt be watching TV or movies (except for the occasional show); you must commit yourself FULLY to the CSET.

You may not like to hear this, but that's what it takes. You shall find websites online that promise you this or that, that youll pass easily if you only spent $30 on their "practice tests" but believe me it's like those companies promising rapid weight-loss: it's just one big scam. Theres no easy way. And thats the harsh truth.

Now that I have gotten the sobering news out of the way [!], here's more specific information about preparing for the CSET Single Subject Math.
    First, Im excited that youre considering a career move towards teaching Math: the school system desperately needs committed, dedicated and passionate teachers! Though I teach High School students, I worked my way up [Im a Math major] and have had endless fun as a Math teacher, no day is dull or boring or tedious.

Id advise you to first get really familiar with what you need to know i.e. the relevant content standards and the most important skills and concepts [see links on my site!]. Then, go about getting those skills.

Now, you can acquire, build and reinforce those skills via

·textbooks -- use my site for some excellent recommendations! Get a couple of them of different ones.
    ·online resources -- see my site for this
    ·videos -- try www.patrickjmt.com

Next, a quick observation re strategy: dont forget that each of the FRQs is worth more than each MCQ [of which there are more]. What you need is a balance: in my reckoning, it is sufficient to answer about 70% of the 35 MCQs and 1/2 of the 3 FRQs to pass. [Of course, if you could answer most of the MCQs, than you need answer only, perhaps, 1 of the FRQs, that sort of thing...].

But a sound strategy can get you only so far and no further. Most candidates DONT pass on their 1st several attempts and my diagnosis of the problem is that they take too much time on either or both of the MCQS and the FRQS. But it is evident that the real problem is that they werent terribly well-prepared for the tests in the 1st place! After all, you shall acknowledge that speed is a function of familiarity and knowledge: if you dont know something, itll take you longer to figure out!

My point is it isnt test-taking strategy that contributes to the majority of frustration; it is simply a lack of subject-matter mastery...which slows one down inordinately. Were one more conversant with High School Algebra [Precalculus and beyond] and Geometry / Statistics i.e. had practiced more on Qs that mirrored the style and difficulty of those on the Test, one'd have been fine, yes? Because one'd have been faster! Also, grappling with the computer-based test wouldnt have been a big issue, then!

To help you in your preparation, use materials and study guides that are very rigorous and shall enable you to be conceptually comfortable since the style / difficulty of the CSETis more sophisticated than what youd find in textbooks!

The other reason is that candidates are [relatively] unprepared is that a good proportion of the study materials for the CSET out there are utter rubbish asking you skills and concepts that one might find in an elementary textbook, rather than the applications-oriented and syntheses Qs stressed on the CSET!
    Let me know if you have andy Qs!
    Jay.
    heep://csetmathguru.weely.com

2bteacher likes this.
  27. 2bteacher

2bteacher Rookie

Apr 20, 2017

Thanks a million, @innovationguy for the elaborate reply with all details and tips to prepare for the test. I will follow every single direction given by you. I am planning to take the test in June.

Thank you once again!

28. PetrMishikoff

PetrMishikoff Rookie

May 15, 2017

I think your last link was probably a typo.
    http://csetmathguru.weebly.com

On my side, the site I refer parents of struggling math students and teachers is this: Prealgebra, Algebra 1 and Algebra 2.

As usual, I always recommend everyone to brush up on the basics. You may have issues with advanced algebra 2 topics, but a lot of times, it's because you missed a concept on prealgebra. Beating your head on the same type of question may not help you do better in the test at a later date. Work backward on the issue you have a problem with, and the way to a better mark may be easier then you think.

29. OddBall

OddBall New Member

Jun 24, 2017

Hi! I used the OCDE Workbook sources and they helped me pass both subtests 1 and 2 on the first try! I hope this helps :)

30. OddBall

OddBall New Member

Jun 24, 2017

Hi all. My question is for those who recently took the single subject Math Subtest 3 within the past year. I'm a little confused bc I've seen numerous posts on this forum about the test having questions (multiple choice and constructed responses) on the history of mathematics but no where on the CTC prep website under the subtest 3 domains does it say anything about the "demonstrating" knowledge in the history of math. Can someone verify this with me? I know the tests have slightly changed due to CCSS and need to know if I should prepare for this bc I'd rather use that time to review/practice.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 24, 2017

Pay attention to the dates of the posts. History of math was the second domain of Subtest III from when CSET Math was first introduced up until a couple of years ago. With that said, knowing how to derive historically useful results (the quadratic formula comes to my mind, and a dozen or so others should come to yours) is good practice in math, and being able to recognize intermediate stages in their derivations could well still save a test taker some time and grief.

OddBall likes this.
  32. OddBall

OddBall New Member

Jun 24, 2017

Thank you so much! :)

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 24, 2017

You're welcome. I'll add that, for all teacher tests, the gold standard for what can and cannot be covered is the most current official outline on the test's webpage.

Welcome to A to Z, OddBall!

34. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Jul 20, 2017

As Teachergroupie mentioned, History of Mathematics is no longer a component of Subtest III. On the other hand, the Calculus difficulty has been dramatically increased in both breath and depth.

Jay.
    www.csetmathguru.weebly.com

35. 2bteacher

2bteacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2017

I am writing CSET Math - Subset II in the first week of September.
    Please share your inputs:
    1)Online /book resources to practice the translation between geometric description and the equation for the conic section.
    2) Please share your inputs regarding the main topics that may be asked in constructed responses.

Thank you in advance.

36. al3c

al3c Guest