Useful Web sites for single subject exams in other areas

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2006

People have commented that useful Web sites for tests get posted, but then the threads get buried under the press of day-to-day posts.

Now here's a thread that should be unburiable.

Go ahead and give useful Web sites in your regular posts, but if you've found a site that's helpful for CSET, Praxis II, MTEL, PLACE, GACE, FTCE, AEPA, ICTS, MTTC, NMTA, NYSTCE, CEOE, ORELA, or TExES exams in single subjects other than math, science, English, or history/social science, please take a moment to tuck it in a post in this thread, too.

If you've got a useful Web site for math, science, English, or history, please pop it into the appropriate "Useful Web sites" thread.

3. sffd_66

sffd_66 New Member

Jan 4, 2007

business education gace test

Hi...new here....I would like to take the business education gace test....I am looking for study material to review.......any suggestions...

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 4, 2007

What does the GACE business education test test? Is it primarily economics, or primarily workplace skills and technology, or what?

There should be a document or two on the GACE Web site (which, since this is a test from NES, is probably http://www.gace.nesinc.com) that describe the test, summarize key concepts that the test taker is expected to know, and give sample questions and answers. If you haven't looked for that document, it would make sense to do so. Then you can start asking focused questions, here and on the Internet - looking up terminology on Answers.com is a great way to study.

5. sffd_66

sffd_66 New Member

Jan 4, 2007

It test marketing, accounting, information technology etc......I just didn't know it there was a study guide for this particular test...or if I need to just get my textbooks out.....also I have taken all the practice test on the GACE website.....just looking to some review material to get better prepared to take the test.....thank you for your response...

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 5, 2007

Your local Barnes & Noble carries SparkCharts review sheets that cover accounting and marketing and finance and the ins and outs of various common application programs. You might also look for posts here by Malcolm on CSET single subject business; seems to me he may have had some study guide recommendations.

7. handtlkr

handtlkr New Member

Apr 24, 2007

Is there anything out there on the ASL test? I've heard that it's unpassable and even the Deaf are failing the signing portion!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 24, 2007

For CSET Business, and thanks to handtlkr having posted earlier: try California's business Challenge Standards document at http://www.bused.org/Finance_Business.pdf. Thanks to UCLACareerChanger for the link to the adopted standards rather than the draft version.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 24, 2007

CSET ASL was introduced in 2006. Typically, when a CSET is introduced, score reporting is delayed while the CTC looks at the results and decides what sort of performance should correspond to the standard 220 scaled passing score. If not enough people take the test to produce statistically reliable results, setting of the passing score may wait through one or more subsequent test dates.

If the test really is blowing everyone out of the water, I have every confidence that it will be rejiggered.

That said, it's worth noting that there are persistent rumors that peg the failure rate on CSET Multiple Subjects at over 50% - but CTC statistics indicate that the first-time pass rate is closer to 75%.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 25, 2007

As to CSET Business, let me re-post the link to the draft Challenge Standards; the draft version looks like a better study tool than the full version.

http://www.bused.org/guide-toc.html

11. needadvise

needadvise New Member

Jul 19, 2007

Hi,

Did you take the test? I am trying to get material to study. I take the test Aug. 4. Any advise on material or any advise on how to better prepare for the test would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2007

You'll need to know what your test is testing, of course - download the free official study guide document from the GACE Web site, and use that as a guide to terms and concepts to look up on the Internet. It may also be that the draft Challenge Standards document for business education in California could be helpful (see post #9).

13. handtlkr

handtlkr New Member

Jul 19, 2007

Passed!!

Finally passed the Business exam (all parts) as of June!!!:cool:

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2007

Congratulations, handtlkr!

15. csquared930

csquared930 New Member

Sep 3, 2007

HI new here. Does anyone have any info on the CEOE spanish OSAT?

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 3, 2007

Is this a subject matter exam for Spanish, or an exam of teaching practice, or both?

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 30, 2007

Here's a link that could be very useful for those who wish to teach family and consumer sciences (what used to be called "home ec") and need to pass state teacher tests in the area: http://www.aafcs.org/. This is the Web site of the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences.

It's worth noting that teacher-organization Web sites often have useful resources for teacher-test prep; I'd recommend looking up one or more statewide FCS teacher groups as well.

18. patches

patches New Member

Aug 20, 2008

:confused:
    Patches:

Where did you get the resources to study for the Business Education exam. I have the Morrison Media flash cards but they did not help.:confused:

19. patches

patches New Member

Aug 20, 2008

I need to know what resources there are for Business Education. I bought the flash cards from Morrison Media and they did not help. Please !HELP!:help::help:

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 20, 2008

See if there's a state organization of business teachers - I bet there is - and check out its Web site. In addition, look for lesson plans for business education. And locate the Texas state standards for business education, and use the Internet to help you make sure you know every technical term in them.

21. Michish

Michish New Member

Aug 28, 2008

need study material for praxis II art content

Hi, I bought the study guide book for the art content praxis II exam (code 0133). I bought "The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History from Prehistoric to Post-Modern" but this book is just a brief, fun overview and I feel like I'd have better luck studying from something much more in depth, like the books I used in my college art history courses. I called a former professor of mine and he told me they use Stokstad's Art History and The History of Art by Jansen. I have also heard about Gardner's Art Through The Ages. Can anyone tell me if these books are worth it?

Also, does anyone have any study guides or want to be a study buddy? I'm located in northern NJ. It's been a while since I'm a student and I have to get back into the flow.

Thanks!

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 28, 2008

The Annotated Mona Lisa is grand for an overview; I don't think you wasted your money getting it. Jansen and Gardner and the like also definitely have their place, though they're emphatically not cheap. If you're teaching in the field, however, they'd be good resources to have. You could try looking for used copies in your friendly local second-hand bookstore or in Powell's quite wonderful used-book department (http://www.powells.com).

23. drk1980

drk1980 New Member

Jun 18, 2009

HI teachergroupie...i am a native of orange county in southern california..i passed my cset geometery subtest and planning to retake algebra subtest this july..last score for algebra was 189..any books or web sites i could refer for my prep..?

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 18, 2009

Welcome to A to Z, drk1980. This thread isn't for math, but you can find a number of threads that are, including a "Useful Web sites" sticky thread for math and science and a lot of regular threads on CSET Math and other states' math tests. Perhaps the easiest way for you to get to them is to scroll up to the top of the page and click on the "Single Subject Tests" link to see the list of threads.

("Sticky threads" are threads that are corralled in their own area at the top of the list of threads so they don't get buried.)

25. mamaison

mamaison New Member

Nov 15, 2009

Hi all does anyone have any ideas on how to get study materials for the social science test for Florida. I have tried the test 3 times already and purchased two study guides and the one from the doe site as well. The test itself is no where near the practice that are in the books as well as the sample from doe. Help anyone.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 15, 2009

mamaison, try (among other things) the "Useful Web sites" thread for English and history/social science.

Are you taking the test for the first time?

27. gradstudent88

gradstudent88 New Member

Jun 12, 2010

World & U.S. History: AP prep books (Barron's is pretty good). I also got World History for Dummies, but haven't used it yet

Civics: Cliffs Quick Review: American Govt. (you can purchase an ebook for cheaper)

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, gradstudent88.

29. PoliSci

PoliSci New Member

Feb 23, 2013

Studying for MTEL Political Science test

Hello, does anyone know any good websites, or having any helpful tips for studying for the MTEL Political Science test?

It covers A TON of information, and I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed...

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 23, 2013

Welcome to A to Z, PoliSci. Have you taken any other subject-matter test for teachers?

31. history

history Companion

Jan 13, 2014

Do not feel bad. I took it 3 times and passed it on the 4 th. When I left the test site each time I looked at my xamonline prep book and circled the questions that I remembered and put the questions onto flash cards. By the time I got done I had a stack of cards. The test rotates , so by the time I took the fourth test , it was the same as the first. I know this may not help,but not unless you took every social science class there is no way you can remember everything about the field of social science.

32. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Jun 10, 2016

A new site that offers prep materials for the Texas Math teacher credential Exam, specifically the Grade 8-12 MMT (089) for TExMaT

http://texmathguru.weebly.com/
    It's packed with resources, practice Qs and practical advice for test preparation.
    Jay.

33. Kelly furgison

Kelly furgison Rookie

Jan 23, 2017

I have taken the music exam twice and have failed. Any suggestions on how to pass?