Useful Web sites for single subject English/history

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2010

Congratulations on passing three out of four and almost nailing the fourth! Well done!

Side 2 of your printed score report shows performance indicators for each constructed response. What are you seeing there for Subtest IV?

2. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 18, 2010

Thanks TeacherGroupie :)
    This is what it says: I had 207 point, it is 220 to pass.
    the answers are graded 1-4 , and I think 4 is the best, but It's not obvious from the explanations, though.
    Speech: 1
    Media: 2
    Dramatic performance: 3
    Creative writing: 4

I am retaking this subtest in March, in about 3 weeks, and I should start studying. But I still don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2010

You can watch many history videos on learner.org

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 18, 2010

The Subtest IV responses are scored on a scale from 0 to 3, actually, and the plus marks are a little less informative than are the checkmarks and/or letters for each response.

Learner.org has some fine choices for takers of single subject English, too, in fact, though history videos might not be one's top choice.

5. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

I have a question regarding the Orange County Department of Ed study guides- Do these study guides contain actual information, or do they list resources and topics to study that I need to hunt for myself?

6. giget

giget New Member

Mar 24, 2010

great advice on Orange County website

Wow! this is great. I will check this out right now. I feel like I have to spend a small fortune just to prepare for this test. Then there is the fee itself. this is all just to hopefully keep the current job I have as an elementary school teacher. I enjoy teaching and learning on my own, but this is ridiculous.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 24, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, giget.

The OCDE materials work well for many people - but let me also suggest the "Elmer's English resources" thread here in the Single Subject Tests subforum.

(Is it really the case that you must take CSET English in order to keep your job as an elementary teacher? That puzzles me.)

8. kylito

kylito New Member

May 16, 2010

English Language ICTS

Hey there,

I've been looking for resources for preparing for the English Language section of the ICTS. It's been a while since I earned my BA in Literature (1995) and I've noticed that most of the prep books have pretty bad reviews. Has anyone had experience with online prep sites such as Longsdale publishing? I see a lot of people have posted about things that have helped prepare for the test in CA - does anyone know how similar that might be to the ICTS?

Thanks!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, kylito.

First, go to the ICTS Web site (http://www.icts.nesinc.com), if you haven't already, and have a look at the preparation materials online. The Web sites for most teacher tests offer some kind of test guide, study guide or preparation material that gives an overview of the material that can be tested plus some sample questions. The sample questions may cover less sophisticated material than does the test, but in format and approach they should give you a decent idea what you're up against. Be aware that there may be more than one document involved.

Next, since your test is not a Praxis test, find your state's content standards for English language arts. Tests produced for a state by what used to be NES are aligned to the standards for that state.

For material covered in ICTS that's also in CSET, you may well find CSET materials rather helpful: neither the indirect object nor the Romantic era tend to change much from one state to the other, you know?

I don't recall the ICTS passing score offhand, but scaled scores on NES tests typically run on a scale from 100 to 300 with passing somewhere in the neighborhood of 220 to 240 scaled points. In other words, you can get some questions wrong and still pass.

Oh, and breathe, please.

10. Anakris

Anakris Rookie

May 17, 2010

English CSET

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has the OCDE English study guide that I can purchase from????? Also if you have any good study material that you suggest, I would greatly appreciate it!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 17, 2010

Welcome back, Anakris.

If you haven't already visited the thread "Elmer's English resources", let me recommend it: there are some glossaries that you might find useful.

Having passed the linguistics-oriented CSET LOTE subtest, you should be in fair or better shape for CSET English Subtest II.

12. Sem

Sem Rookie

Jun 1, 2010

I'm spring cleaning and I have OCDE Social Studies books that I no longer need because I passed all the subtests on the first go. (I also used the OCDE English books and passed those too - but I already passed those on.) I mention this in case anybody is looking to save some money... message me. - UPDATE: I don't have these any longer... Thanks!

13. Sam2010

Sam2010 New Member

Jun 7, 2010

CSET IV

I sse there have been many posts regarding the passing of English CSET IV.
    I have passed all the other English CSET's but this one is giving me major grief. Any suggestions.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 7, 2010

My sympathies, Sam2010. Are you getting grief from all four questions equally, or from just one or two, or what?

15. Scheidt707

Scheidt707 Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

Taking the West E English Language Arts in Nov.

Has anyone taken this test or heard about it as I am scheduled to take it in November 2010 and the last English Language class I took was in high school over 20 years ago so I'm a little rusty. Any resources would be very helpful.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 2, 2010

Scheidt707, the various states' exams in English language arts have some differences in emphasis and in format, but they also tend to show broad similarities: reflexive pronouns and Romanticism just don't differ that much from state to state, you know? That being the case, you might do well to check out the thread "Elmer's English resources" in this forum.

The Framework document on the WEST-E English page should shed light on what the test can and cannot cover.

17. rdaporta

rdaporta New Member

Oct 22, 2010

Orange county dept of education USED study guides for English CSET

Hi to everyone,
    I am interested in buying OCDE used study guides for the English CSET I am taking in few weeks. I know it is not much time, but I have just had a baby and couldn't dedicate myself to it as I woud have liked.

Thanks for your help!!

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 22, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, rdaporta, and best of luck.

Have you checked out "Elmer's English resources"?

19. rdaporta

rdaporta New Member

Oct 22, 2010

Thanks so much, teachergroupie, for your quick reply.
    I have just printed them but my main concern is subtests III and IV. Can the glossary lists help? I am terrified!!

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 22, 2010

The glossary lists may well do you more good for Subtest III than they will for Subtest I, in fact.

The first task in Subtest III is essentially to compare and contrast two literary passages. One wants to show off one's grasp of the technical terminology of literary analysis - in fact, that's more important than identifying the works in terms of literary movement. Similarly, the second task in Subtest III is analysis - this time of non-literary prose, and so one is showing off one's grasp of rhetoric and argumentation along with one's knowledge of structure and other composition devices.

As to Subtest IV, bear in mind first that those are SHORT answers. The glossary of drama terms should be helpful for the third task, on theatre. If there are terms in the glossary that you don't know, let me recommend looking them up on line.

Are you taking all four subtests in one go? If so, do you absolutely have to?

21. rdaporta

rdaporta New Member

Oct 22, 2010

Teachergroupie, thanks again for your guidance.
    I have just printed the glossary of poetic terms, and I was wondering if I am missing any glossaries to prepare for the subtest III apart from the one I have just mentioned.
    I have also printed the glossary for the theatre part in Subtest IV. Do you have any input as what to prepare for the rest of the questions in this subtest?

Thanks again, I really appreciate all your help!

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 22, 2010

CSET exams are explicitly aligned to California's content standards. You'll find both the Content Standards and Frameworks docs for English-language arts on the Web site of the California Department of Education, http://www.cde.ca.gov, under the Curriculum and Instruction tab. Anything that isn't absolutely clear, you can (and should) look up on line - use something like Answers.com.

You might also want to search some of the threads for CSET English and for other states' tests for teachers of English.

23. CSET Nut

CSET Nut New Member

Dec 7, 2010

OCDE Social Studies Books Still Available for Sale?

I am preparing for the CSET Single Subject Social Science and came across this old post. I was wondering if these books are still available for sale?

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 8, 2010

OCDE still sells 'em, last I heard.

25. andreadana

andreadana Rookie

Dec 30, 2010

Hi! I'd be interested in buying a study guide from orange county for english subtest 1. I have already failed this 4 times because I do not have the right study materials. I would need it quick though if it's available as i'm writing again next saturday.
    thanks

26. trayg81

trayg81 Rookie

Apr 22, 2011

Orange County Dept of Ed CSET English Study Guide

Hey All!

I live in Orange County and since I am local I picked up a copy of the CSET Subtest I English Study Guide and all I can say is, "wow!" So far, it is fantastic. Very comprehensive on the literature. I will post a follow-up after I take my exam on May 7th to let you know how helpful it really was. :)

The OCDE has study guides for all the exams and while pricey ($50 for one subtest guide) I believe it is going to be well worth the money spent!

If you are interested go to ocde.us click on "teachers" under "professional development" click on the CSET link and then "click here for study guide form." I called over and spoke with Lucy McGinley she was very friendly and helpful!

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2011

Welcome to A to Z, trayg81!

28. trayg81

trayg81 Rookie

Apr 22, 2011

Thanks!

Im finding this site very informative!

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2011

Have you found the thread "Elmer's English resources" yet?

30. trayg81

trayg81 Rookie

May 4, 2011

It contains actually information. The study guides are broken down by subtest. I purchased subtest 1 study guide and its 350 pages of information. Includes some link resources for specific topics. One thing I will say is there are quite a few typos, which I found slightly distracting. I plan on filing a complaint because it was $54 for the one booklet I feel it should be pretty error free. Overall, the typos didn't take away from the usefulness of the information.

31. trayg81

trayg81 Rookie

May 4, 2011

I went over it, but found it a little overwhelming. To be honest I am taking subtest I and III Saturday I feel hardly prepared! There is just SO much information in the literature portion. So many authors, so many works, add matching them to their literary genre I feel like I am in a whirl! Hoping I can bring it all together by Saturday. I am studying hours on end each day. I will look over the Elmer's resource again because I originally looked at it when I first began to study.

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 4, 2011

Breathe, please.

The glossaries contain words that you need to be able to recognize (for Subtest I) and use (in Subtest III); they're the technical terminology of English language and literature.

33. trayg81

trayg81 Rookie

May 4, 2011

Breathe, good advice :thumb: I can be my own worst enemy at times haha. I printed all of Elmer's study guides and will review them in depth. Thanks again!

34. lauritama2

lauritama2 New Member

May 16, 2011

Can anyone give me info about a CSET test prep in the Los Angeles area? A friend of mine asked for info suggestions (here in this forum) in 2005 --- the workshop was organized through LAUSD and it was helpful.... I'm trying to find out the same info?
    Need help in passing subtest III and IV in Englihs CSET?

Would appreciate any leads...

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2011

Welcome to A to Z, lauritama2, and hugs. How close are you coming to passing, and what are you seeing on side 2 of your score reports?

36. trayg81

trayg81 Rookie

Jun 6, 2011

English Subtest I and III

I Passed!!! Now I need to prepare for Subest II and IV. Can any suggest some online prep course that are reasonably priced, books, or resources? Maybe TeacherGroupie :)

I really want to make sure I pass them!

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 6, 2011

Congratulations, trayg81! Do make sure you celebrate!

Have you had a look at the free online materials yet, especially the subtest descriptions? If so, what content in each subtest has you most concerned?

38. Jennburn

Jennburn New Member

Jun 8, 2011

CSET English

Hi Teachergroupie and Forum,

I just wanted to say thank you for providing this information and for taking the time to personally answer specific questions. You are an angel among us! This has been an amazing resource. I only wish I had found it sooner. :dizzy:

I will be taking Sections III and IV in July, 2011. This will be my third time taking attempting them, twice for both and once for Subset III alone. I don't feel bad saying that HERE but I can tell you I was mortified each time I did not pass. I'm doing everything I can to prepare myself for the test in July and this forum has been so helpful in that regard.

It's important to mention that I have an 17 month old daughter and am eight months pregnant with my son who is due in July. I have financial aid waiting (grants) and am ready to begin my single subject credential program this fall. But I must have passed CSET III and IV before I can be admitted. July is my last chance to do this. I would prefer not to sit through a five hour test nine months pregnant but I also don't want to wait another year and go through the entire admitting process all over again. So here we are. It's not ideal but it is what I am working with.

I took the first two sections of the CSET in November and passed them on my first try, scoring mostly +++, which I keep reminding myself means I can accomplish passing the rest of this test.

The problem has been the writing. Literally. Having to compose these pieces using PENCIL and under a time crunch. Apparently, this is really tough for me! I have never had test anxiety before taking these tests. Granted, I have also not been pregnant while test taking but while practicing for the test in May, I did writing prompts. I found myself having anxiety then, as well! Unfortunately, I ended up leaving the test site that time in tears, not even having finished it because I took too much time prewriting. I have since found this site and am taking deep breaths and looking at the big picture.

I downloaded Elmer's studyguides, they are a great resource. She took these tests 6 times before she passed them, so I know I'm not alone!

I'm sharing my story so that it may give comfort to someone else preparing for these exams. And also to say thank you for this forum, it's truly a gem.

Jennifer

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2011

Welcome, Jennburn. You're making me blush.

If the regular registration deadline hasn't passed - I can't recall whether it has, and I'm too tired to check - do please apply for alternate testing accommodation: you want to be able to get up and pee and move around and all during testing.

What are you seeing on side 2 of your score reports?

40. Jennburn

Jennburn New Member

Jun 9, 2011

Re: CSET English score reports

TeacherGroupie,

The deadline hasn't passed, it's June 10th, so we're good. By the way, after I left the test site in tears I was told by a few of the proctors that I could apply for alternate testing accommodation. But when I called the CSET information line to confirm this a few weeks ago, they told me that I could only apply if I had a learning disability. I guess pregnancy doesn't qualify? I'm willing to apply anyway, just in case.

Side 2 of my score reports:

For sections I and II, the multiple choice performance were mostly fours (stating that I answered most of the items correctly). No problem.

For section III, I scored a 172 out of 220 both times.
    Assignment 1: Comparison of Two Literary Texts. First attempt scored p,k,s. Second attempt k,d.
    Assignment 2: Analysis of Non-Literary Text. First attempt scored k,s. Second attempt p,k,s.
    Overall constructed response section +.

For section IV. I scored a 180 out of 220.
    Speech scored s; Media scored k,s; Dramatic Performance scored a check mark. Creative Writing scored a check mark.
    Overall Constructed-Reponse Section: ++.

I just got my scores for the latest test I left early, when I did not transfer information into the test booklet. Apparently you get 100 points for just writing your name? Because I scored 108 and 100 on III and IV, respectively.