Useful Web sites for multiple subject tests

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Feb 29, 2008

Thank you. Those are some great suggestions, and I will definitely check them out. I'll be taking one of the three subtests, #3 in a couple of weeks so I'm a bit nervous :(

2. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Feb 29, 2008

I hear that the workshop is very helpful, but only for math and English as I'm told it doesn't go farther than those as far as reviews go; however, they may breeze through the other subjects. It may also depend on where you take the workshop. I was thinking of taking it at a community college, but I think they're given pretty much everywhere. Downside is that they're quite pricey :(

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 29, 2008

If you're more concerned about the other areas, look for workshops that are organized by subtest (that's how mine are organized).

4. ballymae

ballymae Rookie

Apr 13, 2008

thanks for this site

I take the test on the 24th I think this will help
    big time

5. Jkelley

Jkelley New Member

Apr 14, 2008

studying for the CSET

Thanks for the resources! I took the CSET this year and passed all sections thanks to lots of studying and the suggestions I read here. I found the Everything You Need to Know About... series by Ann Zemen helpful. I checked out study guides from the library for the practice tests and found a great website, hyperhistory, with time lines and maps for the history section. Don't underestimate the usefulness of the information on the CSET site in helping you to focus your study time efficiently.
    Good luck!!

6. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

May 5, 2008

Thanks to all.....

Thanks for all of your pointers everyone. JKelley, glad to hear from someone who recently passed. I am taking all 3 CSET subsets on May 17 and I am at a total loss........

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 6, 2008

It's not that uncommon that a test taker nails all three in one go, glamis. Are you generally pretty comfortable taking tests?

8. MissSadie

MissSadie New Member

May 13, 2008

I will be taking the ORELA in about a month. Any other advice to add to what was told to Mork back in January? I have heard that it's fairly simple-- just a bit more difficult than the CBEST. Is this correct? It seems more complicated, simply because it covers so many different subjects, such as research methods, theater, biology and music. I have barely started studying, and don't really know where to start! Any advice?

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 13, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, MissSadie.

CBEST is basic skills: reading, writing, basic math. ORELA is knowledge, and probably application of knowledge as well; it will give you a bit of a workout in somewhat different ways from CBEST.

Which domains of the test have you most concerned?

10. MissSadie

MissSadie New Member

May 14, 2008

I am not terribly concerned about the Social Studies (except the Oregon history part!) part of things, since I am studying for the Praxis in that and Language Arts. I am definitely concerned about the science, theater, dance, and the section in Language Arts about "Understanding the effective expression of information and ideas through oral and visual communication." Also a little concerned about math. I did fine on the Praxis I (I took that instead of the CBEST, actually) but I had to study quite a bit because I hadn't really thought about anything math-related for 10 years.

Eek! That's a lot to be concerned about.... Any thoughts?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2008

Oregon history aside, ORELA doesn't look much different in emphases from the parallel test in California.

How recently did you prep for Praxis I?

12. MissSadie

MissSadie New Member

May 15, 2008

I took the Praxis I just about 3 weeks ago and did well. Yeah, I've looked at the CSET site and it does look like the tests are pretty similar--- they are from the same company! I think I may buy I CSET prep book, or at least take a look at one a Powell's to see what it has to offer.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2008

The fact that the tests are from the same company is a little less relevant than it might seem: one of the selling points of NES (which, by the way, has been bought out by Pearson; it will be interesting to see what effect that has) is that it produces tests that are customized to a state's content standards. And Oregon's standards aren't identical to California's. That said, it remains the case that materials that are effective for CSET will probably be helpful.

Many people find, though, that standard test-prep books do them less good than do some of the better children's reference books. Powell's has a fine children's section, if memory serves, and carries a good assortment of books from the likes of Usborne, Dorling Kindersley, and Kingfisher; you particularly might find Usborne's Dictionary of Math engaging and useful.

14. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good general science site that covers all areas of science that is not of high school level? I am having a hard time finding one site that encompasses all of the sciences, but maybe there isn't one...thanks.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

15. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Jun 8, 2008

Brainpop.com is a really good site for elementary science. You can try it out for five days. It's also good for other subject matter.

I hope I passed subtest 2.....we shall see tomorrow (if they post it).

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2008

17. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2008

I do have the Usborne book and refer to it constantly. It is a huge help and fun to read and look at also. Thanks for your suggestions.

Man, I hope I pass this test!!!

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2008

The Usborne covers all the sciences in all the depth you need. And if you find the Usborne fun to read and look at, and if it's got you seeing the world in ways you didn't before, you're going to do fine.

If you're still nervous, consider a prep course.

19. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

I was just about to reply as "find TeacherGroupie" and ask and there you were. You are so helpful to all of us, thank you!!!
    Today is the score day, praying...but not confidently.....
    Have a great day everyone and good luck and prayers if you are waiting for your results.......

20. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

Has anyone gotten their result/s yet? I'm (im)patiently waiting.....on baited breath.....or is it bated breath?

21. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

TeacherGroupie,

Vous êtes très gentil ! Merci de votre support constant...et pour tous vos encouragements. Toujours un plaisir....Merci beaucoup!

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 9, 2008

De rien, p'tit. I've just run out of French, or I'd tell you to pay it forward.

23. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

I did it, I did it! I passed all 3. Thanks so much to TeacherGroupie and to so many of you out there for your help, support and prayers. I was so darned scared to push that button and see my results..........I had already saved the money to take them all again in July. Oh my gosh. I am jumping out of my skin.
    Happy thoughts and crossed fingers to everyone else, I know we all did great thanks to all the advice and help we found here!!!!!

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 9, 2008

Well done, glamis369!

In this process, what surprised you most pleasantly about yourself?

25. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

This was just a major, major thing for me. It had been so many years since I had used or studied any of these subjects. Honestly, the fact that I passed them was the biggest surprise but I think I really got a boost in self confidence and realized that I am a lot smarter than I give myself credit for. This is a hard test, to me at least, and people close to me have never taken any sort of test like this so they think its no big deal but it is a big deal and I'm just really excited and have new faith in myself.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 9, 2008

(beaming)

Now that's the best of all, glamis! That's perhaps the greatest side benefit of taking these things: the realization that, old voices notwithstanding, one really does have a better brain than one thought one did. Brava, indeed! And don't forget this, please.

27. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

Absolutely,
    Anyone who reads this down the road when they are searching these posts to prepare. My biggest piece of advice truly is:
    BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 10, 2008

(insert here TeacherGroupie doing happy dance of agreement)

29. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2008

Glamis, huge congrats on your success. You must feel a huge burden lifted from your shoulders to get this mother of a test behind you...

I am taking math/science in July. Any tips for that one you can share would be greatly appreciated. I am studying with a "new brain" and with an intent to learn it this time, and I already feel a different kind of understanding for it all. And maybe even there is some retention happening...but if you can share any sites, or anything about the m/s, I would appreciate it. I hope you celebrated big time last night.

:woot: :cool: :woot: :cool: :woot:

30. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jun 10, 2008

heavens........I sent you a pm. Yes, I did celebrate last night and yes that burden was heavy and I am relieved.
    I forgot to mention in my earlier posts that I took a couple of prep classes before my tests. If anyone would like info on these classes, feel free to send me a pm.

Joy4educ likes this.
  31. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Jun 10, 2008

Teachergroupie,

Absolument. Il est important de le payer en avant...Félicitations à ceux qui ont passé l'examen!

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 10, 2008

Tiny hijack: petit_ecole, I was afraid that le payer en avant was going to mean 'pay it in advance'. How would one say the latter?

heavens54, which is your big issue: science or math?

33. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Jun 10, 2008

I'm afraid that the phrase "Pay it forward" doesn't really exist in French, so you would have to translate it literally :cool:

34. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Jun 10, 2008

TeacherGroupie,

Let me ask the expert, my hubby, who is a native French speaker. I'll get back to you on that question...but to my knowledge, a lot of our sayings do not exist in French.

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 10, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, Mrs_D, and congratulations on passing.

petit_ecole, I'll look forward to your husband's answer, and I hope he won't give you the "why are you asking me that??" look - but if he does, feel free to blame it on me.

36. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Jun 11, 2008

Bonsoir TeacherGroupie,

So I checked with the better French speaking half, and as I suspected, the "Pay it forward" expression doesn't translate into French since they don't have this expression..sorry. Even my literal translation may not really work well, although it's close enough. I hope that helps?

Bonne nuit!

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2008

petit_ecole, that was just me getting curious and being a language geek. Come to think of it, I could've Googled the movie of that name to see what, if anything, it got rendered as in French. (The logic here is that "pay it forward" really wasn't a phrase in English either, till the book and/or movie...)

Please thank votre mari for me.

Hm, Mrs_D: I'll need to check out The Math Page. Thanks.

38. allmywebsite1

allmywebsite1 New Member

Jun 23, 2008

it will help teachers to get some new question-answers for their students

39. yessiebravo

yessiebravo Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

THANKS THAT WAS SO HELPFUL :)

40. summerlove1793

summerlove1793 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Praxis note cards

Hi,

Can I ask where you bought your study cards?

Thanks,
    Christine