Useful Web sites for multiple subject tests

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2006

People have commented that useful Web sites for tests get posted, but then the threads get buried under the press of day-to-day posts.

Now here's a thread that should be unburiable.

Go ahead and give useful Web sites in your regular posts, but if you've found a site that's helpful for CSET or Praxis II or the MTEL, PLACE, GACE, FTCE, AEPA, ICTS, MTTC, NMTA, NYSTCE, CEOE, ORELA, or TExES multiple subject exams, please take a moment to tuck it in a post in this thread, too.

If the test you're posting about is intended to test the subject area knowledge of teachers in self-contained classrooms from pre-K through grade 8, this is the right place for it.

MsJessicaRamirez likes this.
  3. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 28, 2006

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 28, 2006

Oakland Museum of California! Yup, that's a good choice. For those in San Francisco, the Wells Fargo museum turns out to be quite nice as well. (There's a machine there that lets you simulate the force of an earthquake by jumping on it. Think science, too, please!)

5. kipski

kipski Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

Here is a section with some nice links I lifted from a previous TG post. Mostly focused on subtest I, any good site for subtest III, particularly the visual and preforming arts part?

6. kipski

kipski Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

here are some more pilfered resources I am finding as I look for art/music stuff, this is all Subtest I

pamela yount likes this.
  7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2007

keeley73 posted the following for Florida's multiple subjects test, in the FTCE series:

One has to log in and be eligible, and I'm a memorably bad liar, but for the Floridians this looks fairly promising.

8. jcuturrufo

jcuturrufo Rookie

Apr 18, 2007

9. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Apr 18, 2007

Wikipedia is also always very helpful!

Joy4educ likes this.
  10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

As is Answers.com, which gets you Wikipedia and a great deal else.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 22, 2007

12. Emerged

Emerged New Member

Apr 25, 2007

A bit of condensing regarding study resources from all the posts and threads I've read from both here and other sites:

ON RESOURCES TO BUY:
    1. Cliff's Notes for the CSET is a BIGGIE!
    (Many people have said it's as close as they could get to the actual test, and the most usefull book they got).

2. Boosalis (Beating the CSET) is another MUST HAVE.

3. The Hirsch (What 4th,5th,6th Graders Should Know) books are VERY helpful for reviewing and compactly "getting" an overall of various subjects.

4. Scholastic's Everything You Need to Know About (math,science,etc) series of books by Anne Zeman and Kate Kelly are also very good for overall subject studies.

5. Elmer's study stuff (which can be downloaded from the -Resources Section here) are seriously helpful!

6. Sparkcharts are VERY good as is the Hyperhistory's timeline chart.

7. The Kaplan CSET books are good as well (but not as good as Cliff's).

8. For the science stuff the Usborne Science Encyclopedia books are king.

9. Instead of reading every great work of literature, try The Great American Bathroom Book (boxed set).

11. aventine hill (has good flash cards).

ON WEB RESOURCES:
    1. Answers and wiki are king.

2. innovationguy is good for math (only for the advanced single-subject credential math subtests or if you seriously wanna test yourself for the multiple-subject math subtest).

3. california historical society and california history's stuff are awsome for California history studies.

4. Many other online places for many other subject studies (too many to list in this post) can be found in the resources section and more are listed on Stanislaus County Office of Education pages under their CSET Prep section.

5. The AICT pages are great for art history, periods, and key style demonstrations.

ON STUDYING
    1. Don't worry too much about dates and times so much as key events, "connections", and causes and effects for the History/Social Sciences tests.

2. Know key elements of art styles, and a timeline of historical art and theater periods (and some of the polital/reliqious influences of those times).

3. The Math subtest of the Multiple Subject is not rocket science but generally 5th - 8th/9th grade math/algebra stuff. KNOW your formulas, functions, and terminology! Be prepared for word problems... (look up the California State Content Standards for MATH for these grades and focus your studies on those).

4. The official CSET practice test from the CSET official site is pretty much the only "practice test" that is reliable (or that can be found). Take it, take it, take it, and focus your studies on the weak areas you find from it's results.

The official study guides and subject matter requirements from the official CSET site are a MUST HAVE to guide your studies!

ON THE ACTUAL TEST
    1. During the test answer as many of the questions as you can, skip one's that are too hard or take you too long (come back to them later when you can).

2. SHORT ANSWERS are just that, short answers, not long essays. Try to use the questions to gain facts, triggers, topics, and points for your answers. Put as much detail as you can from your own knowledge of the subject into your answers even if it's just to show that you know something about the topic (even if it's not exactly what they're looking for or asking about). Diagrams and pictures can be used too. Turn the questions into your answer, use them, and add supporting facts and information to back up your answer.

3. The multiple choice subject sections can give you hints, clues, and topic info. for your short answer sections.

The stuff from MOMedia and CA Teaching Solutions are basically a waste of time and money.

OK so that's what I've gotten so far to help me on these crazy hoops we all are having to jump through in order to get teaching jobs in a strange (dysfunctional?) beaurocratic public school system.

Does anyone else find it amazing that teachers are put through similiar hurdles as only doctors, lawyers, and psychologists are, yet we don't get that kind of pay or recognition for it? Not even our dear President has to have as much education and verification of it as we do...

-Emerged

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 25, 2007

Wellll... there are people who swear by Cliff's, but there are also people who swear at Cliff's; it makes sense to check out other possibilities.

14. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

Apr 28, 2007

Emerged -

that was exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you!!! I've been swearing by Cliff's (and not at it, TG :giggle: but I've heard lots of people swear at it) and I've read Hirsch's what 4th & 6th Graders Should Know (haven't gotten my hands on 5th grade yet though!), and was planning on gett Boosalis and Everything you need to know about world history to supplement so I'm glad I am heading in the right direction. Plus I am planning on making a couple of 'field trips' out to a few museums/missions.

The additional resources look very helpful though!! Some I hadn't been told about! Much appreciated!!

15. NHL

NHL Rookie

May 1, 2007

Hello,
    I'm new here and need some desperate help and tips on studying. I don't know about you, but I have having an awful time trying to memorize dates and names! Maybe it's b/c I'm getting older and my brain is not able to keep information (info overload, anyone?). I've extended my date from May 19-July 21 in hopes of having more time to study. Any tips on trying to memorize the info?

16. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

May 1, 2007

it's actually less about WHAT DATE it happened it's more about WHEN it happened ... knowing what sequence of events something happened and knowing how things connect together ... when you start looking at it like that it's a LOT easier to study ... if you go through the practice test you'll get a feeling for the questions ... GOOD LUCK!

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 2, 2007

NHL, you might find that prior threads have some useful tips for you.

Whereabouts in the state are you located?

18. precious angel

precious angel Companion

May 2, 2007

Praxis II 014 study notes

Hi,

Here's a helpful site for all the ones who are taking Praxis 014. www.praxis2studynotes.com
    There were many questions on the test that actually came from these study notes. Good luck and when you pass thank me later:).
    My results will be back the end of May so I'm keeping the faith.
    P.S. When I studied for my test, I highlighted key terms to help me remember better.

Joy4educ likes this.
  19. NHL

NHL Rookie

May 2, 2007

Thanks for the reply!
    But I forgot to mention that I'm taking the CSET, not the Praxis. But I'll check out that website, maybe there will be some extra info for me.
    Thanks again!

20. NHL

NHL Rookie

Jun 2, 2007

Anybody know the difference b/n the CBEST and CSET for credentials? Actually, I know the difference, but some teachers I know only took the CBEST and I'm required to take the CSET, is it b/c I'm teaching elementary and they teach middle?
    I'm still studying for the CSET in July...feeling incredibly overwhelmed (will be taking all subtests plus the writing portion of the CBEST..anybody take that part in May?? It's a new addition that first started on May 19) and nervous. I just looked over some practice tests and am horrified that I barely could answer any of them!! Anybody, please HELP!!!!

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2007

CBEST is basic skills: what you can do in reading, writing, and math. CSET, with the exception of CSET-Writing, is subject-area competence: what you know and what you can figure out based on what you know. A person can't substitute teach in California without showing basic skills competence, either by passing CBEST or, beginning last month, by passing CSET-Writing plus CSET-MS. (And ONLY CSET-MS: single subject test takers, you're still taking CBEST for the foreseeable future.)

CSET-Writing is basically the essay portion of CBEST, given in the afternoon session of CSET. The assumption is, apparently, that someone whose math skills and reading skills are good enough to pass CSET-MS shouldn't need to take another test that calls on math skills and reading skills. It's entirely unclear when the scores from CSET-Writing will be available - new CSETs generally come with delays in score release.

CSET-MS establishes subject-area competence for candidates for the multiple subjects credential, and it is now required of ALL candidates for that credential. The various CSET single subject examinations do likewise for the various credentials for middle-school and high-school departmentalized teaching, though it is also possible for the single subject candidate to have taken a preparation program approved by the CTC and to waive the examination requirement thereby, or in some cases to have amassed a suitable number and range of credit hours in college classes. It's a mistake, though, to assume that an undergraduate major in field X will suffice: one needs to show one's transcript to authorities in credentialing, usually at a county office of education or in a credential program. And, no, I am not one.

22. janis.longmire

janis.longmire Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

I would highly recommend teachercertify.com programs to study for the TeXes 160 & 161. They also have several other test. It really is awesome software and I passed the 161 the first time no problems. It is $60.00 to download but several programs recommend it and say is has about a 95% pass rate. Good luck!

23. Alameda

Alameda New Member

Jun 11, 2007

Question about workshops

I am planning on taking the CSET on July 21st. I have about two months to study and I haven't been in school for 5 years :eek:. I have the CSET Cliff's Notes book. I love it. However, I am very torn on whether I should take a workshop or not. It's 265.00, and I'm not positive it's worth taking. Does anyone have any advice?

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2007

Only five years? There are CSET-MS passers whove been out of school for closer to 25; that should be the least of your worries.

To decide whether you need a prep course in general, think about the following:

- Did your undergraduate education give you a fairly solid grounding across the seven domains?

- Do you take and read a newspaper, or follow news on the Internet, or listen to public radio?

- Are you generally comfortable and confident when taking tests?

- Are you disciplined about studying by yourself?

If you answer yes to all the questions, then you'll probably do fine without a prep class. And if you are in the Bay Area, you've got a wealth of fine hands-on and child-friendly museums to which to make field trips when studying out of Cliffs begins to make your eyeballs ache.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2007

Museums also work well for test takers with family responsibilities: you can combine study time with family time.

26. Alameda

Alameda New Member

Jun 11, 2007

Thanks for your reply! I can say yes, with confidence, to all the above except #3. I am not the best test taker...unless I feel very confident with knowing all the information..."all or nothing" type I guess. But thank you your advice helped....basically I don't think a workshop is absolutely necessary.

27. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2007

I am taking the CST on July 21, and I am a little nervous, but pretty confident. As TG mentioned, I feel that I am a good test taker and I try to keep myself on top of things as far as education... ( buzzwords, etc). I would not invest in a course. I think it all has to do with self-discipline. Just put your mind to it and you will do great.

We can always quiz each other too.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2007

That's one of the things that A to Z is very good for, yes, Frizz.

29. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2007

.... just wanted to mention the " For Dummies" series of books are useful for review.:eek:

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2007

They are; and I've been known to recommend a volume in the reprehensibly titled Complete Idiot's Guide series.

Kids' books, of course, are easier on the ego.

31. Alameda

Alameda New Member

Jun 13, 2007

Sounds great, thank you!

Can you fill me in on "buzzwords"? I've seen that term used before, but not familiar.

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2007

Buzzwords are technical terms for the subject area and for education; you need to be able to recognize them for multiple choice questions and you need to be able to produce them for constructed response questions. You'll find a good many of them in the Test Guides for the individual subtests of CSET-MS, in the Subject Matter Requirements, and in both the state content standards and frameworks documents on the Web site of the California Department of Education (http://www.cde.ca.gov - look around for the standards).

33. yantai1992

yantai1992 Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

How did you do on the test? I was thinking about purchasing these study guides.

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2007

For which exams, RJC?

35. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Jul 20, 2007

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

Nice resource, nothermanda. People who can rummage up and enjoy resources like that generally do all right on the test.

37. PaigeAMJ

PaigeAMJ New Member

Aug 1, 2007

certifyteacher.com

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2007

39. teacher08

teacher08 New Member

Jan 11, 2008

How did you do with the Praxis 2 Study Notes for the Elementary Education Content Knowledge Praxis 0014 Exam?
    Were they helpful for you in passing the exam? A reply would be greatly appreciated! Have a nice day!

40. mork

mork New Member

Jan 15, 2008

ORELA advice

Hello,

I'm looking for any advice, feedback, tips, etc re: ORELA test here in Oregon. The only study guide I could find was on the ORELA website which seems to be pretty basic and not very in depth. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2008

Let the official ORELA material guide you as to the test structure and emphases, but you can use other resources for your review of content knowledge - and they certainly don't have to be test-prep books.

Of the domains that you'll be tested on, which have you most concerned?