Useful Web sites for basic skills tests

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2006

Useful Web and other resources for basic skills tests

People have commented that useful Web sites for tests get posted, but then the threads get buried under the press of day-to-day posts.

Now here's a thread that should be unburiable.

Go ahead and give useful Web sites in your regular posts, but if you've found a site that's helpful for CBEST or Praxis I/PPST or the MTEL, PLACE, GACE, FTCE, AEPA, ICTS, MTTC, NMTA, NYSTCE, CEOE, ORELA, TExES, or WEST-B exams, please take a moment to tuck it in a post in this thread, too.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  3. adria

adria Comrade

Jun 27, 2006

Great idea teacher groupie...

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2006

5. math guy

math guy Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

Interactive math website

A great math website with interactive activities--mainly for highschoolers or above-- is www.mathwarehouse.com. I've had some sucessful lessons on triangles, slope etc.. at that one.

6. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2006

Another great way to study is to watch Jeopardy! It covers lots of facts in World History, Literature, Science, etc. I don't know if this has been suggested before but it's been helpful to me.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 9, 2006

That's fine advice for subject-area exams: Jeopardy and trivia games work well to divert people from dwelling on how bad they think they are at history, literature, science, etc. while they play with ideas and facts, and in my book that's a very good thing indeed.

8. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Dec 12, 2006

Any good basic science sites???? If you need to practice constructed response for math and science where or what would you do? I like both math sites. . .

I am going to learn this math and science and pass the cset. . . .hopefully sooner then later. . .any good study plan ideas if you have a month. . .

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 13, 2006

Download either the Subject Matter Requirements document for CSET-MS or the Subtest Description document for CSET-MS Subtest II for some terminology and concepts that you'll need to know. Then look them up on the Internet - I like Answers.com.

Here's a good site for science: http://www.ology.amnh.org/.

The thing about science is that you have to be prepared to play with it, really and truly.

10. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Jan 15, 2007

http://www.teachingsolutions.org/florteaccer.html

For those seeking certification in Florida, I highly recommend the study guides you can find at this site. I've gained more knowledge since utilizing the guide I bought through them than anything else.

11. math guy

math guy Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Hi,
    I'm a new york teacher and am going to take the ATS-W. Anyone know if it was hard? I'm not asking for any acutal questions since that 's not allowed by NES---Just wondering what people thought about the test in general terms--was it multiple choice and free response or any other aspects of the test.

12. music2

music2 Rookie

Jan 7, 2008

This site is helping me. Thanks

13. newtoit

newtoit New Member

Mar 6, 2008

I have a BA in Sociology and have received my statement of eligibility for the Social Sciences 5-9 and 6-12. I really want to teach english also so I am taking the FTCE exam for English 5-9 on April 19th. I have an idea of what the test is about structurallly; however, I need some resources that may have practice tests with essay questions and multiple choice so that I can study the material. I only have 5 weeks to study. I have been an English Tutor for the last year but it is the classroom/ curriculum questions that I need the most help with.

I would appreciate some help with this. Thanks so much!!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 6, 2008

newtoit, if what you're looking for is information about FTCE English, you'll probably find more answers on the Single Subject Tests subforum. The subforum in which you've posted here, Basic Skills, is for the GK test and tests like it.

15. math guy

math guy Rookie

Mar 20, 2008

great site for online math games for both high school and middle school age level math games online

16. seesee

seesee Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

FTCE

Hi, I want to find some materials to practice on GK READING, I do not have any problem on the other 3 subjects. Is this book helpful? what is included in this book? like examples? real test problems? etc. thanks.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2008

One of my favorites is LearningExpress's fine book Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day. One advantage to it is that many bookstores carry it - which means the test taker can examine it before actually shelling out cash on it.

18. TBaker

TBaker Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

Thanks so much for this! Very helpful!

19. seesee

seesee Rookie

Oct 12, 2008

FTCE GK English portion

HI, FutureFLTeacher,

I need to take reading portion. Do you think this website is helpful? I just do not think people can WORK on reading. If you are poor on reading, then you are poor forever. How can one improve reading? reading more? I still choose the wrong the answer.

Thanks.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

Not so, seesee, or else none of us would ever have gotten good at reading.

Attitude is crucial here: thinking of oneself as a poor reader tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I suspect that's because the poor reader is accustomed to seeing a difficult passage as further confirmation that he Just Isn't A Good Reader, whereas the skilled reader is accustomed to seeing a difficult passage as a challenge that can be surmounted, perhaps by trying one or more different strategies.

Several of the books in LearningExpress's series Skill Builders might help; one notable choice is Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day.

21. seesee

seesee Rookie

Oct 13, 2008

22. seesee

seesee Rookie

Oct 13, 2008

Hi, can you tell me your experience about using that website http://www.teachingsolutions.org/ftce.html ?

thanks

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

I haven't ever used any teachingsolutions Web site.

24. lolabear

lolabear New Member

Jun 3, 2009

Multiple Subject CSET

Hi, I am new to the forum and I am currently a student in the whittier college credential program. I am planning on taking the multiple subject cset soon and I bought the cliff notes book. I have been reading mixed reviews about study books and I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to study ALL this information. I bought the "what your 4th, 5th and 6th grader should know" as well! I was planning on taking the practice tests on the cset website too!
    But ANY study tips would be appreciated or any other books you guys know about.
    Thank you so much.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2009

Welcome to A to Z, lolabear.

You've posted in the Basic Skills Tests subforum, which is intended for CBEST and tests like it. For what you want, you'll get more good out of the Multiple Subject Tests subforum - where there is a "useful Web resources" thread rather like this one. Use the Forum Jump too at the bottom left of this page to find it.

26. ropewalker

ropewalker New Member

Aug 3, 2010

Hi
    Iam new to this forum and also have written Praxis I exam in which have passed writing and awaiting results for reading and math. Iam just trying to find out if we can go directly to Praxis II or do Maters of Education and then go for Praxis II. Iam new to teaching line too. Can anyone suggest some ideas please.

27. mathteacher1234

mathteacher1234 New Member

Aug 13, 2010

To Ropewalker:

Hey, it sounds like we are in similar situations. I was a provisional teacher right out of college (no teaching experience whatsoever). I taught during the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 school years.

Ok, what State are trying to get certified in. Start at the State Department of Education website for your State and follow their steps to licensure. Side note--I am trying to enroll in a MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) degree program. My entrance requirement includes the passing composite score on the Praxis I. I'm in Maryland. I recommend that you pursue the Master's degree program and get advise from an education advisor at the school you are trying to enroll at.

Now, the Praxis II before the Master's degree. The MAT program I'm trying to get into says that I need to pass the Praxis II before earning the degree. I have already taken my Praxis II Content Exam in Chemistry. If I were you, just begin studying for the Praxis II in your content area(s) and take the test before you enroll in the Master's program, you'll already have it checked out your list.

We'll get there.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 13, 2010

Basic skills test passing scores tend to be good for life; subject-matter passing scores tend to have a five-year shelf life before the test passer obtains the teaching license. Other things being equal, I vote for getting the tests over with.

29. yankeeadrienne

yankeeadrienne New Member

Apr 10, 2011

I have been a PreK aide for 2 years here in Texas and I am taking the TExES EC-6 Generalist test next Saturday! I'm excited and nervous! I just got the tip to go and download all the old released TAKS tests and use them for study guides! I tried to reply to whoever said that but I can't seem to find that thread again. Anyway, good luck to all of us!

30. yankeeadrienne

yankeeadrienne New Member

Apr 10, 2011

@newtoit-
    I have the same degree! Here in Texas they recommended that I teach ESL 4-8 which I wasn't excited to do so now I am taking the EC-6 test in hopes of teaching 1st or second grade. Whatever state you are in I recommend finding online released standardized tests for those grades to study from and them maybe you cn go from there. Good luck!

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2011

Welcome to A to Z, yankeeadrienne. The tests you're describing are focused on subject matter, not skills - so you may find more useful discussion in the Multiple Subject Tests subforum. You can access that subforum via the Forum Jump tool at the lower left of this page.

32. i8i3d

i8i3d Rookie

May 30, 2011

Resources or helpful website for Praxis I test

Dear all,

Could anyone help me with any helpful website (apart from ETS website) to study for Praxis I/PPST test?

Thank you so much in advance.

33. Twoman

Twoman Rookie

Dec 14, 2011

Hi, I'm trying to get certified also still. I'm having the hardest time passing the reading and math on the praxis 1. Could someone please tell me some good books or websites that will really prepare me for the test?

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 14, 2011

One approach is to buff up your skills (and this will help you elsewhere, in a way that preparing specifically for a particular test might not). I like LearningExpress's Skill Builders books for the purpose: Reading Comprehension in 20 Minutes a Day, Practical Math Success in 20 Minutes a Day, and Write Better Essays in 20 Minutes a Day.

35. TeachingTime

TeachingTime Rookie

Dec 15, 2011

The Cliffs and Kaplan study guides can be helpful. They both typically provide a good general review and some full-length practice tests. If you're having trouble with certain concepts, you may also want to consider working with a tutor in those areas. And of course there is also the official study guide from ETS.

36. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Dec 31, 2011

37. jsovie22

jsovie22 New Member

Jul 5, 2012

I am getting ready to take the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAPS) in Illinois. I only have to take the Math portion of the test. Can anyone tell me how difficult this test is? Also, does anyone know how many you can afford to miss in order to pass? I know they are still working on the scoring but I want to have some idea on my expectations. Any words of advice?? Math is my most hated subject and GOD knows I haven't taken algebra etc in like 20 some years. I am a bit nervous as I really want this more than anything and don't want to fail. Thanks so much in advance for your help and I look forward to reading your comments.

38. toddanderson

toddanderson New Member

Sep 19, 2013

Math test not passing

Does anyone have any tips on passing the praxis 1 math test
    I have purchased several of the ETS books and sample test
    but I am still not passing it , i am taking it for my third time
    in a few weeks

thank you for any help

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 19, 2013

Hugs, toddanderson. Do your previous score reports indicate areas that you need to work on?

40. toddanderson

toddanderson New Member

Sep 20, 2013

Thank you for your reply, I was low in all areas

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 20, 2013

If you're somewhat confident in your math skills, I'll recommend the developmental-math videos on Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org, or some of the resources mentioned by Richard Byrne at http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2011/01/11-mathematics-resources-to-try-in-2011.html#.UjwmRyj5jQc or http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2011/06/free-math-lessons-at-free-math-help.html#.Ujwmoyj5jQc

If you're very not confident in your math skills, you might do well to begin with a live tutor who understands Praxis I and the math that's on it.