Use Your Agenda!!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2007

What do you have students write in their agendas? For example: homework, due dates, events at school...

But... it goes down to this...
    Do you have kids who lose their agendas? What do you do then? :crosseyed

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

Our students are expected to have their agendas; if they lose it, they need to purchase a new one from the office.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2007

Our PTO provides agendas for every fourth and fifth grader. If they lose it, I give them a few days to look, and then they are supposed to purchase a new one.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2007

I am not going to have agenda's this year... but I do want to have a monthly calendar. The kids will fill it out, and then we will add in homework, school events, things to bring from home, etc. I am new to this, so we will see!

6. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 29, 2007

Hi! Sixth grade refugee here, but this is what my team does:

Homework is written into the planners every day, and each teacher stamps. (we have name stamps) This helps with them bringing their planner daily, because the parents know that if there is no stamp then we didn't see the planner. Also, we all use it every day and I think that helps.

We encourage all written communication (other than emails ;) ) to be in the planners. We model this by putting the students averages in the planner, stapling in notes, requests for conferences, etc.

One team I was on did a cool thing - every week on Friday we each took a class and wrote some kind of note in each child's planner. We rotated classes every week so that over the course of the nine weeks every child had two notes from each teacher.

I like printing up labels to put in the planners when we have a test coming up, though I'm considering getting a stamp.

If they lose it - we contact their parents and explain that
    they can buy a new one for $5 and remind them of the communication, yada yada. This generally works. Students who have lost theirs can also use a notebook, or any other kind of day planner - it just needs to be consistent. In rare cases where they are *really* strapped we'll find a previous years planner or an abandoned notebook for them.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2007

Join us anytime, ancientcivteach!! (By the way, I'm not sure I like all of these separate forums, because we don't see enough overlap.)

Your post reminded me that I also stamp my student's agenda at the end of the day. The first month I do everyone, and after that I only do those students who have homework "issues" or whose parents request it.

8. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I really like the stamp thing at the end of the day.

9. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Our kids are given an agenda book at the beginning of the year. If they lose theirs (which rarely happens), I just make them use a regular spiral notebook. I think they can buy a new one from the office, but I've never bothered to find out. (I will now, though! :) )

They write their homework in it everyday. They also write their spelling words. If I remember, I have them write special events like Back to School Night, Book fair, etc.

In second grade, I used to check it everyday and have the kids leave it on their desk before they went to Specials. But then it got to be too much to do when I had other stuff I could be doing during that time. So last year I only checked the books of those students who couldn't/wouldn't write their homework correctly. I like the idea of a stamp, though. Maybe I can make that one of my classroom jobs and have one of my trusted students do it for me.

10. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 30, 2007

We write in our agendas at the end of the day. We reviewed what we did in each subject and they write it. Then we write any homework assignments. We also put projects in on the day they are due, and write that info every day when we are writing our homework. Parents can write notes to me, and they have to sign it every night.