Use of Puppets

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by gluestickny, Oct 7, 2010.

1. gluestickny

gluestickny Rookie

Oct 7, 2010

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone uses puppets in their pre-k classroom to help teach any basic concepts. I would like to begin using puppets but I don't know where to start.

Thanks for your ideas!

3. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Oct 7, 2010

I've use puppets a few times a year. I usually use them for talking about feelings and a few religion things. (I'm at a Catholic school.) I do a show on going to mass, the death of Jesus, and few others throughout the to teach them about sharing, how to express feelings, and how to properly interact with each other.

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Oct 7, 2010

Puppets are great for telling social stories. If I have a problem in the classroom (like hitting) I will use puppets to simulate a situation in the classroom. By "helping" the puppets resolve their conflict the students are learning how to resolve their own conflicts.

5. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Oct 8, 2010

I have a puppet - Mr. Pig -- who visits regularly. I never thought of using him to teach in this way. I think this could work very well.

One thing I did in getting ready to us Mr. Pig was to find his voice. I practiced voices until I found one that I could do easily and remember. The kids have to whisper his name to invite him to circle. They love to have him visit!

6. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Oct 8, 2010

I like using puppets in the classroom. I think that children can express alot more of their emotions or even in other languages through having their own puppet (I noticed that some of the children who had English as a mother tongue spoke more Swedish if their puppet was on their hand because it was the "puppet" speaking and vice versa..it really helps with self confidance). I let them take their puppets to circle time if it gives them that extra boost in talking/listening. I also have a puppet that is just "learning english" and so when I speak in English, the puppet speaks in Swedish. This really helps in my EFL groups.

I also have a puppet that watches behaviour during lunch and leaves notes for the kids (if he sees good behaviour or bad).

I remember one school that had a puppet with each child's picture on it. Then when a child got into a conflict with another child and did not know how to resolve it, they would talk through their puppets with the teacher giving ideas on how one could resolve it. It worked really well.

I thing puppets are so versatile that you could pretty much use them in any teaching arena. You can build worlds with the kids around the puppets that they can construct and talk about. They also help to give the teacher that boost of confidence as well :) .