use of gadgets inside the classroom

Discussion in 'High School' started by erika, Oct 17, 2009.

1. erika

erika New Member

Oct 17, 2009

The use of cellphones, ipods or any other gadgets are prohibited inside the classroom..
    I just wanted to ask for your insights about it if it must changed and the the usage of these must be allowed for the students' profit..wait 2 secs to reload the image

3. kevo2005

kevo2005 Companion

Nov 8, 2009

I personally use my iPhone in the class because it is very helpful to me (or at least will). I am in my last semester, but I have used it for lessons and presentations in my classes. It is extremely helpful for me since all I use is mac I can use it to control my keynote presentations, also I can keep my gradebook in there among many other useful things.

As far as when I have my classroom, I will probably allow it because I know they can be very helpful for organization among other things, but if I see them being used for deviant purposes that will end.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2009

My school policy dictates that all electronics are to be off and kept in lockers. Any student caught with one during the school day receives an automatic 5 demerits.

While I'm sure they are conveinent for organization. Unfortunatley, they're also incredibly convenient for cheating.

5. kevo2005

kevo2005 Companion

Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I will probably have to learn how to live without my iPhone once I actually start teaching, but boy will it be hard. 8)

6. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Nov 8, 2009

We don't have a school-wide cellphone policy. My personal classroom policy is that they aren't to be out. If I see one, I take it. First infraction - you get it back at the end of the class. From then on, you get it back at the end of the day. If it becomes a major problem, I give it to the principal and the student can get it back from him.

IPods are different. I have no problem with a student listening to music while he/she is doing seatwork. My only request is that they listen with one earbud, leaving the other ear free. That way, they can still hear me if I need to tell them something (especially if an emergency arises).

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2009

Students are 'wired' differently than many of us were when we are in school. They are of the 'digital generation'...My school doesn't allow cell phones and the like during school hours (K-4 school) but we do find ways to incorporate technology throughout the day (SmartBoards, laptop computers on carts that can be used by classes, doc cameras, podcasts, etc...). I think it's important to teach in ways that kids learn best, engage them but there is a line to be drawn about personal electronics....On a similar note, I have a colleague who texts pretty much all day...I think admin is catching on....:dizzy:

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2009

Students' phones and Ipods must be in their lockers and turned off during the school day. However, we have a cart of 20 Ipod Touches that we can load apps on and use in class. I haven't had the chance yet to use them.

9. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Nov 9, 2009

I wish our school was more strict on the policy, but the parent has to come pick it up if I take it. We lived without cell phones when we were in school and were much more focused!

10. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Nov 9, 2009

Our school doesn't allow phone usage during the school day, either. For many high schoolers their phone is like an extension of themselves. Anyone caught using a phone during class can pick it up from the office at the end of the day. I have a basket by the door that students may drop their phones in if they feel they cannot resist the temptation of using them in class.

But...I do allow students to use their phone cameras to photograph or record science results. Then they must be put back right away.

11. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Nov 10, 2009

Our school district has a prohibition on cellphones and other electronic devices in class. And yes, I agree, their phone is an extension of themselves, which is why, 99% of the time when I ask a student to put it away, they will comply without question.

The two times I have confiscated a phone, two different reactions:
    First student - when he gave up the phone, it was like the air went out of him. 2nd student - she was nasty, defiant, rude - antagonistic to begin, with, and when I took away her phone, she flipped out and yelled at me, "Give me back my ****ing phone!" It should have never come to this - in retrospect, I should have thrown her out of the classroom must earlier for her nastiness and disrespectful talking back. But in the end, she earned a referral in any case.

12. JessicaKellin

JessicaKellin Rookie

Nov 17, 2009

My school has a no electronics policy as well. Cell phones are not acceptable. I will usually give them a warning, then if it recurs, it goes to the office and they pick it up at the end of the day.

iPods are trickier... I personally find them a godsend when I have a study hall or quiet work period. I find that allowing the students to listen to their iPods gives both sides a little something. They love it because they get their music and they feel like they are getting away with something; I love it because the more they listen, the less they talk and I get some peace and quiet! It can become an issue though with iPhones and iPod Touches. I just keep an eye out at that point... if they are constantly looking at it, pressing buttons, etc. then they are clearly not just listening to music and they lose the privilege.

13. tcreeley

tcreeley Rookie

Mar 20, 2010

I follow policy, but really I don't care. Ipod helps some to keep focused. Should be up to the teacher.

14. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 22, 2010

No way can a kid truly be focusing while listening to music.

None of my ipod listeners have ever gotten good grades.

15. bross001

bross001 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010

Personally I dispise cell phones in the classroom. If I expect my students not to have any electronic devices, I must set the example.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2010

They are not allowed in my school at all so I follow the rules but I wish the rules were different.

I have had students set alarms to study on their cell phones. There are also programs that allow you to use the cell phones to text in and vote or answer a question.

I agree that iPods are a godsend and they can make some kids really focus. You definitely have to watch and make sure they aren't just listening to the music but I think it is pretty easy to tell.

17. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Apr 8, 2010

My school has a no electronics at all policy. Students text their friends to get out of other classes and meet in the bathrooms, etc etc. I don't let them have cell phones out, and will give them a warning or two to put it away before I take it. If it's a real problem, I send them to admin, who confiscates it until a parent takes it.

Ipods, I generally don't allow because they get distracted and Jimmy wants to hear what Johnny is listening to, etc. Sometimes I bend the rules though and let them listen. They think it's the biggest treat ever, so it works in my favor.