Use Class Management or Not

Discussion in 'General Education' started by applecore, Aug 6, 2012.

1. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 6, 2012

Use Individual Class Management or Not

I can't decide on using a class managment system or not.

Individual systems used in the past:

None during student teaching....loved that!
    Card flipping for the past 3 years...other teachers do it, I did it too.
    New clip chart made for this year with the "Ready to Learn" and "Think about it"...it turned out cute, but....

I'm thinking of ditching the whole "card flipping" idea, getting rid of the individual-kids-flip-move-their-clip for keeping track of their behavior, and going back to "old school" of just setting the bar of high and rewarding with a whole class treat each quarter....aka: bucket filler idea but whole class and, again, not individual.

Thoughts?

3. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 6, 2012

Great thought but... I would err on the side of caution and have something ready to put in place. It really depends on your classroom of kiddos and how you present/follow through with your procedures. There are some kiddos that absolutely need immediate feedback while others could wait a whole quarter.

4. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Aug 6, 2012

I hate the whole "card flipping" or any type of public display of students' daily behavior. It's like having a modern day pillory in the classroom, and it's not the kind of tone to set for kids.

I agree you should set a positive culture in your classroom through things like bucket filling, class meetings, and genuine recognition. Always hold the students to high expectations, and don't enable students who make poor choices by calling them out in front of other students. If you set the tone and act as a beacon of respect and care it will be reciprocated.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 6, 2012

I think you're on the right track. I've never had a formal system. I used one during student teaching, but it was so much work. Teach those routines and procedures over and over. Then make sure you are planning every moment of the day with engaging activities. Yes, there is time when students just need to sit and listen, but plan for that! Keep the 'down time' minimal, make sure you are using proximity to minimize distractions and set those standards high. Follow through with logical consequences. The most important element of classroom management is consistency.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 6, 2012

I've never had a flip card or clothes pin clip system. I hate that it's public, and as my own daughter pointed out once, " "Joey's" name always moves to red when he bullies me but I don't think "Joey" really cares." My school doesn't require one and I'm very glad. I make phone calls home as needed for problems and reward the class as a whole. Worked fine for me last year and I plan to continue it this year as well.

7. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 6, 2012

Ditching the system, or at least shelving like Dale suggests to keep it handy, for the first quarter, is mentally winning right now. Community meetings and time to "down load" as a class was key to surviving with two super behavior exploding students in my class last year---we could have been our own Oprah show. I heart community building. :)

Thank you for all your input.

I'm feeling better with aiming towards the start of the year with the focus of community and not individualality.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2012

I had one when I taught kinder. It was required at that school. When I moved to this school and new grade level I tried it. It didn't work. I have done the whole class thing and it worked but the more teaching experience I get the more I realize that behaviors should be expected no matter if there is a reward or not. I don't reward my own kids for good behavior it's very much EXPECTED!!!

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 6, 2012

Your daughter's insight is so telling. I agree - I call for individual problems and reward the class as a whole. I think it goes a long way to building a positive classroom climate.

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2012

Oh my gosh...it's like this post read my mind. I blogged today about the system I've been using (clip chart) and just wrote up tomorrow's post and set it to publish in the morning about the reasons I am not using it for the full year. I do plan to start the year with it as I feel it is effective at first and something needs to be in place. I'll try to remember to come back to this thread tomorrow to post the link to the post with my new method when it goes live.

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 6, 2012

See, now this is why I think the whole card/clip flipping/moving system has gotten to me. We set the bar high at home and love them through the tough times. NEVER do we embarrass or belittle them infront of others, but we're big on praise and encouragement. I try to treat my students the same way I treat my own kids.

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 6, 2012

Oh I can't wait to read it!

I can't see using the clip/flip all year long any more.

13. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Aug 6, 2012

So there are a few distinctions:

"Classroom Management System" vs. "Reward System"

I think most people obviously get this, but there sometimes is confusion that there are a variety of systematic classroom management practices that aren't part of a reward system. So, I'd always suggest having a classroom management system, but which specific components you include is certainly up for discussion. Simply having a few guiding principles (i.e., "high expectations") is not really a classroom management plan as it doesn't detail/operationalize how you will implement those "high expectations." For example, how will you routinely communicate those expectations, how will you deal with unmet expectations, will you differentiate expectations, etc?

Good vs. Bad Reward Systems

Just because card systems are pretty much awful doesn't mean all reward systems are, so I wouldn't use bad examples to dismiss the entire principle. Also, the difference between success and failure with many plans is not in the big concept (e.g., token economy) but in the nuanced details of implementation (e.g., reinforcement interval, selection of reinforcements, included fading procedures).

So, overall, I'd looked at whether you think the kids in your specific classroom/school could benefit from a reward system, and if so start to think about which specific one might be good, then how you will implement that (i.e., the details).

14. msufan

msufan Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

In a good district like mine, I can get away with no class management "system" except for high expectations and a tight-knit classroom community.

In a tougher situation, I think some students would need some short-term "training" to get to the point where they could do the right thing consistently without reinforcement.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 6, 2012

You really have to have some kind of management system. I don't see how you can run a classroom with no system in place.

I don't do any kind of reward & punishment type of system, but I have to have a management system. I teach all o f my procedures and expectations. Makes our lives easier all around.