US vs UK school reporting systems

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jdc, Sep 7, 2011.

1. jdc

jdc New Member

Sep 7, 2011

Hi,

I am a teacher in the UK and was wondering....

Here in the UK pretty much all schools have at least this reporting system for the students:

The parent will (at the end of the school year) receive an envelope containing several reports on their child. There will be a report (each being a few paragraphs of text) from each teacher their child has (maths/english/science/art...etc etc, the head of year and the head of the school).

Is the system in the states the same as the in the UK or not?

Thanks,

Joe

3. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2011

It should be added that the report will also contain grades for each subject (we call them levels) and also often information about their attendance and punctuality to school for the year. The report may also have space for each teacher to comment on how the student can improve in the following year for that subject.

4. jdc

jdc New Member

Sep 7, 2011

True.

I'm interested in how things happen in the states, I've heard that a lot of schools don't even bother with the written text from the teacher and only use the grades.

5. kme93

kme93 Companion

Sep 7, 2011

It is different here. The general practice in the US is to only use letter or number grades and maybe a brief comment. The majority of schools report more often than once per year. For instance, my school reports four times per school year. My sister's high school reports every three weeks. I only report letter grades on report cards, but that's not the only contact with parents I have. I frequently call or email parents as to their student's progress. Also, at any time it would not be uncommon to receive an email from a parent asking about their child (participation in class, behavior, academically, etc).

So, I guess to answer your question....The method of reporting is different, but the intent is the same. I report all kinds of information to the parents of my students, I just don't do it all formally at the end of the school year. I only formally report the letter grade.

6. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 7, 2011

We report 4 times a year, and in the report a write a general overview of how how the student is doing. I applaud areas they are excelling in, and mention areas that could use imrovement. Usually a paragraph is sufficient.
    I do like the idea of at the end of the year giving more detailed description for each subject area. Sadly, I think many teachers would see this as a nusance and simply eating into their summer vacation time.

7. jdc

jdc New Member

Sep 7, 2011

Hmm, interesting. I wonder what the percentage is which do and do not send out report cards with a paragraph of text across the USA...?

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 7, 2011

In my experience, the majority of school don't send out a report card with much more than a brief comment in addition to the grades. Since the reports are sent out 3-4+ times a school year, it's extremely time consuming to write a significant amount for each student. At my school we do write "narratives" for each report card (3 a year) and used to be required to write about two paragraphs per subject area. Now that's down to about a few sentences for each subject which is much easier.

9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2011

In the UK we have a contract that limits what we have to write on a school report to 40 words per student maximum. However with the advent of electronic reports and comment banks you can construct a report quite quickly. Admin staff are responsible for putting on the attendance data. Names, classes etc can be added automatically.