US Constitution Test: How hard is it?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Hulbert Lee, May 12, 2011.

1. Hulbert Lee

Hulbert Lee Rookie

May 12, 2011

Hi, I really need to pass the US Constitution test this Monday.

I failed to pass the one offered at Chapman University by 2 questions last week! That test involved a 50 multiple choice questions and the main book was The Constitution of the United States by Floyd G. Cullop. That test cost $20.00.

This coming Monday I will be taking the US Constitution test at the UCLA Education Extension Center. The study book this time is called Twenty-Five Lessons in Citizenship by D.L. Hennessey; however, it's 75 true or false questions! This test costs $80.00.

I am getting nervous... :unsure:

Has anyone taken this test? Was it hard? Do I need to memorize the exact order of when the states came into Union, or the term of office years of all our past presidents? Is reading this recommended book by itself enough to pass the test?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 12, 2011

Is this a test for certification of some sort?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 12, 2011

The one I took was based entirely on the content of the US Constitution. I just read it and then took the test.

This might sound like a silly question, but have you read the Constitution itself?

5. Hulbert Lee

Hulbert Lee Rookie

May 12, 2011

It is to help get my teaching credential.

6. Hulbert Lee

Hulbert Lee Rookie

May 12, 2011

I went over the constitution in Floyd G. Cullop's book, but I have not read the Twenty-Five Lessons in Citizenship by D.L. Hennessey.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 12, 2011

I mean have you actually read the Constitution, not some textbook covering it.

http://www.house.gov/house/Constitution/Constitution.html

Read the entire text, including the amendments. Pay careful attention to information about the line of succession and what each amendment is all about.

8. Lindager

Lindager Companion

May 12, 2011

I am preparing to take the American Government CLEP. A big part of my test is the constitution. I have tried to learn what articles give which responsibilities to which government entity, I have also learned which amendments granted which rights and what the common names are for some of these. Sparkcharts has a good quick review you can look at or buy online for $4.95
    http://sparkcharts.sparknotes.com/history/usconstitution/

Good luck with this. What do you need it for?

9. Hulbert Lee

Hulbert Lee Rookie

May 12, 2011

Thank you Caesar753.

I need it to get a teaching credential, Lindager. :)

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 12, 2011

I took a government class in HS, so that was enough. But, I did want to mention that I got my credentials from Chapman too (now Brandman). :)

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 12, 2011

It turns out that there are several different US Constitution tests, Hulbert Lee, and exactly what is required varies from test to test.

If you're taking the test based on Hennessey's book, you would do well at least to leaf through the book; I believe it emphasizes some information that the Cullop doesn't. The chances are very good that you can get the Hennessey from your local public library.

Is it the case that you can't retake the Cullop test?

12. Hulbert Lee

Hulbert Lee Rookie

May 12, 2011

Hi TeacherGroupie, I can retake the Cullop test, but in 3 weeks... That's their rule... I am submitting my documents next Monday at 5:00 PM and I'm taking the US Constitution one (the one at UCLA allows you to take it every Monday but it costs $80) next Monday at 2:30 PM. I have both books; one seems to a general overview on citizenship, while other is strictly based on the US Constitution. I just hope three days is enough time to study...

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 13, 2011

14. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

May 13, 2011

Congrats. I just got mine last month from there. Task 3 and 4 are no joke! Congrats again!! I think your best bet is to study the Constitution.

15. Galois

Galois Companion

May 30, 2011

US Constitution Exam at CalState SB

May I know if anybody has taken this exam at CalState SB? I'm planning to take this exam there pretty soon. Thanks.

16. aby121385

aby121385 New Member

Apr 9, 2013

I'm in the middle of trying to pass the US Constitution exam as well. I took the day class twice at Cal State San Bernardino and did not pass (I was two points away from passing) and took the test again (once) at Chapman but did not to at all well. I've bought, read and studied the study materials they've suggested on the school's website and it doesn't seem to get me too far.

Did you have much success at UCLA? I'll be taking that test next Monday. Any other information is greatly appreciated :).

17. aby121385

aby121385 New Member

Apr 20, 2013

So in lieu of taking it at UCLA, I took it at CS Domínguez Hills and passed. I found that test a little easier than the last two schools' exams and it was only $25 to take it.

Some tests are harder than other tests in my opinion depending on where you go. I'd say say, here in the LA/OC/Inland Empire, the order of difficulty would be Chapman as the hardest, then CSUSB, then CSUDH (as less challenging, it felt easier worded). I didn't take UCLA's test so I wouldn't know where that would fall under but its study guide's study questions seems much less challenging.

Good luck future examinees!

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2013

Congratulations, aby121385!

19. chemophile

chemophile Rookie

Apr 24, 2013

Hey, I took the US Constitution test in late March and I passed - and I used two sources (1)D.L. Hennessey (one you mentioned)

and (2)About the Constitution of the United States of America by the Channing Bete company

It does a great job condensing all the material from the Constitution and you can read the whole thing in an hour.