Us bridesmaids finally picked our dress...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

So, a while ago I posted a thread asking you guys for suggestions. Unfortunately, the bride decided to have us wear the same dress, to keep it clean and polished looking.

So, we had to find a dress that would flatter me (my skinny bod) with hers (curvy, full body).

This was the dress we picked. At first I thought it was cute, but now I'm having second doubts. What do you guys think?? Unfortunately, it's too late to back out now. The bride needs to order the dresses tomorrow.

[​IMG]

The color will be teal.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 11, 2011

I think it is beautiful.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

I like it, and my bridesmaids wore teal.

It's not too revealing, and the shape will probably look good on just about anyone.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 11, 2011

I hear "teal bridesmaids dresses" and cringe, but only because of my sister. She had way too many bridesmaids for the size of her wedding. We had dresses alternating in teal and fuchsia. They were $30 from the Sears catalog, and this was in 1995 before Sears got anything that could be considered decent clothes. They didn't fit any of us well at all. That whole wedding was a comedy, like, seriously something that would be in a movie, and you'd say, "yeah, that would never happen."

I LOVE the dresses you guys chose. That is a very flattering dress style. Have you gone to be measured for them?

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 11, 2011

So cute! I really like the dress.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

I think it's cute... Teal reminds me of the Wedding Planner...

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 11, 2011

I like the dress! I wouldn't choose teal, but then, it's not my wedding.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

It's a cute dress!

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

I think it's very cute! Although, I don't know how curvy the other gal is, but I think the top mesh portion might not be that flattering on her. Even though I would personally want to be covered like that and then some, covering the neckline on a curvy woman and having that sleeve type that visually cuts the arms in that location isn't always best. Of course, this is coming from someone who never, ever under any circumstances wears a dress or dresses up at all for that matter, so I really don't know what I'm talking about! :)

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 11, 2011

It is a really cute dress although I've never seen a short Bridesmaids dress. Too bad it won't be in a more neutral color so you could wear it again.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

... poo... that's one of the other reasons why we picked this dress. It looked like something that could be worn again. Errr, I didn't think teal was a color that would be too horrendous.

okay, so I found the dress on this webste where you can actually see what the dress looks like in different colors.

http://www.bestbridalprices.com/pretty-maids-bridesmaid-dresses-style-22342-p-58306.html?cPath=567

Teal is eighth from the left, on the third row. hmmm... it's hard to tell, since the color is overlaid on the dress and the actual dye could be different.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2011

OK, I'll bite. I don't care for it, especially in teal. Black is kind of cute and I could see wearing it again, but not so much for that particular dress in teal. And I like teal. But something is not jiving.

Sorry if I am a Negative Nelly. Maybe I was supposed to just say "Yeah its great." lol.

It's not totally horrendous though. I mean it could be much much much worse.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

Yes, it could be much much worse. I guess I'm trying to be positive here. Maybe I'll send the bride a message asking if she's keen on teal or if she could make it brown, or something. I mean, she is open to the color. She threw out teal because she wanted us to have some color, but she did mention doing neutral with fun accessories. So, I'll see what she says. Won't hurt to ask.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

Well, I do have to say I like it better in black. But...hey, what can you do? It seems the whole bridesmaid dress deal is just a friendship test half of the time! :haha:

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

You could get the dress in mocha and do some teal accessories in a necklace and bracelets.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

Yeah, that would be better.

I sent her a message. I doubt she ordered the dresses yet, so I'm hoping she'll see the comment before she does (she works all day)

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 11, 2011

I like it in black or brown, but teal? No. I really love the idea of mocha dress with teal jewelry. I bet it would look really cute with a teal sash (remove the bow?)

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

Has anyone actually put this dress on for her?!?!
    I don't mean it to sound horrible, but some just see something & say that's what I want.
    I was in a wedding & the bride thought she wanted something. So went to try it on & many other dresses... We went a whole different way & it looked good on all of us!!! It was a long dress.

The bride thought about t length & then rethought that because you are going to see legs of all sizes in your wedding pix for the rest of your life!!! LOL!!! We did the full length & then she said pick what ever black opened toe shoes... This way we could wear them again...

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 11, 2011

I think it's cute. I like the simple styles. As a full-busted gal, I'd be worried about the back being open like that. I have to wear a "real" bra with everything. Those fancy "special" bras just don't do the trick.

I had an interesting time picking dresses. I had four girls in sizes from 4 to 24. One wore a size 4. One was a size 6 and four months pregnant. One was a size 14 and due to deliver 2 weeks before the wedding. One was a size 24 and 5 months pregnant. We ended up with tea-length dresses with empire waists. Everything was "bra friendly", and they all wore flat shoes. I also picked navy instead of a brighter color.

I've been in four weddings, and I wore two of the dresses again. One ended up as a NYE party dress. Another ended up as part of a costume for a Shakespearean play.

21. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 11, 2011

I had a hard time choosing a color for my bridesmaids. I ended up choosing Navy and then ordering bright colored flowers to add a pop of color and it ended up looking nice...and the dress was one they could wear again without looking too bridesmaid-y.

22. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 11, 2011

:lol: couldn't agree more JustMe .. let's see, I've worn a hot pink dress with a big ole flower bustle on my butt, a green/Pistachio hoop skirt with about 5 yards of ruffles, a purple dress that made us look like a bunch of grapes . . . and quite a few I have thankfully forgotten.

Good luck peachy . . . I think I would feel a lot of pressure picking out the dress

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 11, 2011

LOL Well, I've only had to wear 2 bridesmaids dresses ever and they weren't too bad. At the time I thought, "it could be worse"!
    When my sister gets married I'm hoping she'll be nice enough to let me pick the dress that I have to wear.

24. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 11, 2011

I had to wear a bridesmaid's dress for my best friend that was H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E. There was absolutely no shape to them at all. I looked like I was wearing a powder blue gunny sack.

So my MIL took mine and added some darts and actually gave it some shape. I never told my friend because I was so scared she would be mad. She commented once on that day..."hmm, I wonder why yours has those lines and the other girls' don't"...I played dumb!

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

KC... LOL!!!

TNY... I thought when my sis got married it would be pretty easy... WRONG ... a small form of BRIDEZILLA!!!

26. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 11, 2011

I don't personally care for it - just not my style. I like it in black best. My friend picked out a nice blue dress for us for her wedding but no plans on wearing it again.
    My bridemaids wore long black dresses and very simple. Maybe one day they will wear it again? Who knows!

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

Well, she replied back and said that while she still feels like teal/jade would be nice, she said she will check with her fiance (who is really good at the fashion stuff). So here's hoping that he'll offer good advice. :D

28. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 11, 2011

I think the shape is great. Did she pick the color called teal or the color called olive which is the swatch that comes up when I choose the third row you described. I have reservations about a short dress because of the differences in leg length and circumference as does a previous poster.

In any event, I always view bride's maid dresses as a one time use item. I know people always say that they can wear it again, but other than using it as a costume (think Southern belle dress--really--I had to lay down in the back seat of the car to keep from bending the hoops and to prevent covering the stick shift. Also think purple ruffles on the sleeves the hem the waist, another beauty I could supposedly wear again--to the terrible bridesmaid dress convention or an episode of what not to wear.:) I could go on, but won't....:lol: you get the picture.) I guess you can just grin and bear it in the time honored tradition of bridesmaids everywhere!

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

The ladies' leg circumferences? This is really something brides take into consideration? That a new one for me!

Anyhow, hopefully everyone will be happy in the end. When is the wedding?

30. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 11, 2011

I should clarify since you can't read my mind.:cool: I mean that visually if you are looking for uniformity, the legs become a focal point since most legs are very different. Some are pudgy at the knees, others at the ankles and still others are toothpick like (as are my own). So my thought is if the dresses are short and the same, the eye of the beholder of a photo might be drawn to the legs in a full body group shot. Hopefully, I am expressing that correctly.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

I agree completely. So as long as they look halfway decent on all the bridesmaids and don't cost an arm and a leg, I figure it's a good choice.

The black dress is pretty, but I can see how a bride might prefer to choose some other color.

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

That's how I understood originally...just didn't realize it was a consideration. :)

33. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 11, 2011

Me either... Well anything can become an issue if the brides expecting xerox copies. In my brother's wedding, my SIL only considered her sister's body when picking the dress. It looked okay on her B cups, my ?Bigger? cups looked ridiculous and I felt awkward the whole time. That was noticeable in the photos too.

34. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2011

I don't think I would wear it again, but I think it will be pretty for the wedding.

But I think it any wedding-I wouldn't expect to wear it again. Like someone else, I would think of a bridesmaid's dress as a one-time thing.

35. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

I refuse to think that!! In fact, I'll wear it to school and teach in it! :D

36. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 11, 2011

You could probably wear it more in black, but I think you will look nice in teal.

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

Of course you will--Meet the Teacher Night, Parent-Teacher Conferences, Picture Day. :whistle:

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2011

That's the spirit! :p

39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 12, 2011

Usually I would say bridesmaids dresses are expected to be only worn once but I thought I remembered Peachy saying she wanted a dress she could wear again at some point?

40. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2011

Yeah..... that was the original goal was to get a re-wearable dress. THe bride thought it would be stupid to buy a dress that we could only wear once.....

Well, the good thing is we're all meeting up in a big town to go to a bridal shop who makes the dress we found. We figure it'll help to see the color in person and to see if we could find anything else (as long as we decide this weekend). The wedding is in April and we are cutting it really close.

41. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2011

I had gotten dresses out of a magazine my mom used to get... One girl was pg & the other's super skinny... so we did these dresses. To be honest the pg girl was going to order it to where to a wedding...she did wear it again. My sis sent hers back after the wedding & the other I'm not sure... It was like $40 -$50. We found strappy sandles luckily that fit in their sizes on clearance for like $5 a pair!!! They all looked really nice & I love my pix!!!