Urgh- 1st grade EBD student

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by maebowler, Nov 1, 2006.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Nov 1, 2006

I am a paraprofessional and work with a 1st grade EBD student. I am so frustrated. I work sooo hard to keep him in the classroom, but the last few days he is starting to throw stuff and just plan being a brat more than I have seen from him in the past. He thinks he is the boss and wil not listen to anyone else when he gets in a funk. We tried gum to help him concentrate, food because he "was hungry", and he was number two in the bathroom, yet he still was being a pain in the a s s. What do I do? He has a twin brother who is also EBD. The special education teacher, first year, is doing a great job, but nothing either of us do it really working effectively all the time. Any suggestions on have to work better with him would be great. I can give more example if needed. Thanks in advance.

3. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Nov 1, 2006

Suggestions please :)

4. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 2, 2006

More examples/details please!

Give me a detailed description of one section of his day--what kinds of interactions are taking place? What would you guess are the functions of his behavior? What are the payoffs? Does he have a schedule? A reinforcement system? Is it class-wide or individualized? Does he usually earn whatever is being offered? Does he seem like to what is being offered?

5. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Nov 2, 2006

My morning with him, I get him off the small bus (4-5) spec. ed. students. We go to his locket and put his stuff away. During this time he is greeted by the specia and regular education teachers. He is usually very friendly at this time. We then go into the classroom where is wonders for a while, the other students are coming in. Depending on his mood, I will "forget" my watch and he and I will go get it from the para room. He rings the bell, it is his job and then it is calendar time, he does great during this time, and then work time. I see this as the problem. The last few days he has started working right away! but then it is time for reading group and I can't get him to stop working to go. If I try he gets upset, throws stuff and wrinkles the paper. When he does this, I give him a warning and if it continues he gets time-out which he thinks is a joke. It takes a while to get him calmed down. On Monday during time-out, he was mimicing my words and actions, which upset me. I think he saw that and used it to his advantage. He uses the same schedule as the other students. Picture schedule worked last year, but he will have nothing to do with it this year. He receives star for doing a good job at a variety of things such as raising his hand, listening at recess, etc. Once he gets all his stars, he can to the spec. ed teachers office and have free time. He has been earning the reward until this week, where it doesn't matter to him. He has this little smirk on his face when he is playing a game with us. He thinks he is the boss and doesn't have to listen to anyone. He also tries to climb everything, including me, when he is upset. Sorry this is long. Thanks.

6. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 2, 2006

Have you tried setting a timer for work time so the transition to the next activity is more clear? The timer I used beeps at five minute increments as it counts down, so my kids hear those beeps and I remind them "That beep means there are five more minutes until we switch to reading..." Is he not finishing his work before it is time to transition? If this occurs regularly, I would limit the work he is being given--if the class has 5 worksheets but you know he won't be able to finish them, start by giving him 2. Some kids get "stuck" in the idea that they need to finish, and they refuse to transition until they are finished. This might be happening to him.

How often is he able to cash in his stars? Daily? Weekly? Many times a day? You may find that if this continues, his reinforcement schedule will need to be adjusted so he is getting reinforced more frequently.

Could you try structuring his activity so that it builds in another more physical transition? You mentioned that in the mornings, you might walk to get your watch--he likes this kind of movement? You could do a simple visual schedule: work = walk. My kids used to run errands (deliver mail, return books, etc.) between activities if they found that kind of thing reinforcing or helpful.

Definitely limit your reaction to his behavior. Be neutral, calm, and firm; don't laugh or show frustration. It can be REALLY HARD To master this, after six years in the field I'm pretty good at keeping a straight face, but there are still days when my kids act up and I start to show emotion.

What kind of time-out are you using?

Hope a little bit of that helped. Good luck!

7. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Nov 4, 2006

As soon as his star chart is full, he gets to turn his stars in. On Monday we are starting a new incentive program. There is going to be a Yug-Gi-Oh folder that will have assignments he has to do. For each assignment that he does he gets a fake dollar. He can use the money to "buy" different items from the Special Ed teacher's store made just for the twins (him and his brother). We will see if that works.

Time-out wise, I bring him out into the hall and he sits out there until he is ready to change his behavior. If the behavior doesn't change or gets worse, he is brought to the special education teacher's room for time-out.

Friday was the best day in a long time. Who knows why, but he earned all his stars, plus some.

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 4, 2006

Put something soft under his desk for him to touch when he thinks he is going to get up set. Fleece material.

If he goes to reading when it is time, he gets to share a M&M with each of his classmates. OR a gumball from the gumball machine. Get the gumball machine cheap at a Dollar Store. Get the other kiddos to help. They must tell him thank you and praise. "I'm glad you shared" "I like M&Ms" and etc.