Urgently need help

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by 1stGr8, Nov 12, 2008.

1. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Nov 12, 2008

Hello everyone,

I am in a very desperate place right now and I could use ANY and all support. This year I have a lovely class. However, I do have several issues that are very severe. One of them has me at my wits end. This little girl in my class is extremely defiant. Academically she is very low but I never give her work she is incapable of. If she decides she doesn't want to work she will put her head down and refuse to lift it. I have tried talking to her, asking her to pick her head up, giving her warnings, taking away recess, ignoring it, etc. The only thing that seems at all effective is ignoring her. She wants me to respond so badly. So, I have been ignoring her and it is going a **little** better. However, when she doesn't want to do something she throws it on the floor and refuses to pick it up. If I pick it up, she throws it back down. I refuse to play this game with her so I just leave it there. Now, if I ask her to pick it up later after she calms down, she will go back into melt down mode (SO not worth it at this point!)

Also, she has a very bad attitude. This is first grade, and she will roll her eyes at me, tell me "There's nothing you can do to me," etc. She ignores all rules. If I ask her to do something she pretends she doesn't hear me. I have made my administrators aware and they are very aware of her from Kindergarten. All I get told is that she is bad and to ignore her. How can I keep ignoring her? What message does that send? At the same time, I can't battle her for control because honestly she will win. I have rules, rewards, and consequences in place. She doesn't care about the consequences at all. As far as rewards, she does respond well to positive reinforcement. For most of the day this positive reinforcement will keep her going. HOWEVER, once she is set off, she is gone.

Please, any suggestions... I am so lost.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2008

Go to the Power Teaching site and look through the downloads; I'll bet you get some ideas.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2008

Have you spoken to the parents?

Academically is she doing poorly? Note so on the report card.

If she responds to positive discipline- start a contract..she gets points or stars or stickers for desired behavior...Every set # of points she gets a reward (whatever works for her- listen to a book on tape, computer time, free reading minutes, ice cream from the cafeteria..what ever works...)

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 12, 2008

It sounds like there may be deeper issues here. Do you have a school counselor that can come in and observe? Maybe she would be a candidate for testing or emotional/behavioral disorders (but you don't suggest that to the parents...that's teh counselor's job). I work with older kids, so the kinds of things I would do in this situation probably would have no effect on a first grader.

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2008

If you have not spoken to the parents do so. You might consider setting up a SST meeting regarding the child. document the child's behavior. Use positive reinforcement. Really work on getting the child to understand that her choices control her consequences and rewards.

7. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Nov 14, 2008

I would definately call in the school counselor, If they know about her from Kindergarten then ther is an issue there and from my Behavioral background I think there are some behavior issues that need to be addressed, that might or might no be being addressed at home or it could be a chemical inbalance since you say once she goes into meltdown mode you cannot get her to snap out of it. I would not lable her ED yet but that is what the counselor is there to help you with and her.