Urgently need advice - NJ Teaching Jobs

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sach1, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Sach1

Sach1 New Member

Jun 15, 2015

Hello Friends,

I am frustrated with the Applitrack system of application as I have not received a single interview call after 2- 3 years of applying. Am I missing something here ? Do I need to email the principal of school after I submit in Applitrack ? Do I need to go and submit paper copies as well ?

Should I show less education, I have two Masters degrees in Education & Biology and several years of non US teaching experience. I also added a special education certificate but cannot seem to be getting an interview call.

I will appreciate your advice.

Regards

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2015

DEFINITELY follow up with an email to the principal!!! Attach your resume and cover letter to the email.

4. physteach

physteach Companion

Jun 15, 2015

Are you certified in NJ? That seems to have been the line between my getting calls and not. Also, make sure your phone number is correct.

I'd hesitate to follow up with principals. I've had a few specifically say they don't want that.

5. Sach1

Sach1 New Member

Jun 15, 2015

Thank you for your inputs. Yes, I have NJ license for high school since last 5 yrs and just cleared all Praxis for elementary as well. I am substituting since last 3 -4 years.

6. Merc

Merc Rookie

Jun 15, 2015

Newark Public Schools is desperate for science teachers. We don't use applitrack. You can apply on the district website.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2015

If you have been applying for that long without interviews, I am guessing that your resume is too mundane for what they would have to pay you with those credentials. To be worth the starting salary in that range, they are going to be looking for a killer resume. Many people do their own, but I have mine done anytime there is a major change. Styles, acronyms, buzz words change, and these people know what will catch the eye of admin or HR. I could do mine, but when I pay for it, I get to tweak it until I know it is right. Start with your resume - more important than emailing the principal.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 15, 2015

Chances are that your resume and cover letter (or whatever else Applitrack permits by way of announcing yourself) need work.

Am I correct in guessing that your first language isn't English?

9. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 15, 2015

You might want to check with the HR office of the districts you have applied in. I started applying for positions in 2013, using Applitrack in two different districts. In one district I started getting calls for interviews and in the other I didn't.

A year goes by and I contact both districts to make sure my applications are still current (I was gearing up for the new hiring season) and discover that in one of those districts a reference had not submitted the electronic reference form that had been sent to them the year before.

The district that was lacking that reference did not contact me to tell me this. And as far as Applitrack was concerned, my application was complete because I had uploaded all the supplemental materials required. If I hadn't called the HR office to check on anything I needed to do to keep my application from the previous year current, I never would have known why I wasn't getting any interviews. The person I talked to asked if I wanted her to resubmit the request to my reference contact. I said yes and within two weeks I was getting calls for interviews within that district and within three weeks I was hired.

Moral of my story? CALL THE HR OFFICE!
    Sheilah