URGENT Quick issue

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by suzy7677, Sep 10, 2020.

1. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Sep 10, 2020

Principal notified us that some students Would be moving classrooms immediately (told Thursday will be moved Monday am)due To a virtual classroom collapsing.

Did I screw up by telling my class that a few stufkdent may be moving before getting the ok from admin???

mine student was very upset so Mom called me and said he not she wants him to move.

I contacted the principal and told her I apologize if I didn’t follow protocol and the situation.

the virtual teacher told her kids they would have to go to a different virtual teacher and the kids were very upset.

feeling worried.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2020

In this day of covid, classrooms will be changing often, going virtual, brick and mortar, back to virtual, changing teachers due to quarantine issues, changing students, etc., etc.
    The best thing you can do is offer support and understanding to upset students and parents. Tell your concerned parents that you understand their concerns and you are doing your best to help their child achieve success.
    People are just going to have to get used to the idea that schools have changed and will continue to change for the foreseeable future.
    I really can't see where you will get in trouble for talking to your students about something the other virtual teacher said. I think your administration may be more concerned with keeping things as organized as they can.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 11, 2020

Since when do students have a choice on which classroom to be in? Right now things are even more unpredictable. I don't think you did anything wrong. It is what it is.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 11, 2020

We had a similar situation happen. We had to move about 10 students to different classrooms. We (admin) wanted to tell parents ourselves first (via personal phone call), but one teacher took it upon himself to tell his students that they were moving (via Zoom...so everyone heard). Didn't go over well (won't go into details).

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 11, 2020

I've been through this a few times in my career, and I have to say this -- admin needs to be incredibly specific about what they want the teachers involved to do or say. A simple "this isn't public knowledge yet -- we will let you know when it is because we want to talk to the involved parents first" is all it takes. Many times, when admin shares info with teachers, teachers assume admin is asking them to "take care of it" -- and the teachers don't realize they are just being informed in advance, and it is not to be public knowledge.

Since I've been in situations where admin is not specific about it (they assume everyone involved "understands" it is not public knowledge) and it leads to misunderstandings. I've learned, when given news of this type, to specifically say "do you want me to tell them or are you planning to tell them directly."

Caesar753, bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Sep 13, 2020

Yep! I have seen this happen many times over the years. The admin needs to be clear about what they want. I always erred on the side of caution ( figured it was confidential) if I didn't know. Then I got smarter and started asking when we got a P who was seldom clear about what he wanted. Just consider it a lesson learned. If the admin does not tell you what to do with the info, ask when unsure. Good luck!

8. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Oct 21, 2020

Thank you for the replies. Just to let you all know, it wasn’t a problem at all. I’m not even sure they thought about whether or not it was public knowledge with everything they have going on