Urgent for A new Sub

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jojothesub, May 11, 2012.

1. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

May 11, 2012

Urgent Help and Advice for A new Sub

Hi all,

I am a new sub that started subbing at the end of March of this year. Not knowing how many schools would call me to work for them, I had called as many as 10 schools so they could add me on their subs lists.

To my surprise, I started getting assignments right after and have worked everyday since then (getting three different schools to call me per day). Today, I have a dilemma, about two weeks ago the sub locator of one of the school where I mostly go, asked me to sub for one teacher that would be out beginning May 14 through the end of the year; and without thinking I said ok. However, as the days are approaching, I really don't feel like subbing for one school for three weeks. To be honest, it's killing me when I think about it...

What would you do if you were in my shoes? If I sub for that school for three weeks I will miss the opportunity to sub for about 5 schools that usually call me. If I cannot find a permanent teacher position next school year, I will keep subbing again next year and maybe loose the chance to work for these five schools.

Please Help!!!

3. Nitch

Nitch Rookie

May 11, 2012

Those three weeks will be a lot of work. They will also be one very long interview. If you do them, remember that.

4. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

May 11, 2012

Nitch,

Thank you for replying so fast. I am really stressing about that situation. I really want to decline this assignment. How do I that, I don't know. Will I be grading papers or assignment. I am not sure what you mean by saying a long interview.

Anyways, After the first day (on monday may 14th), I will take a decision.

5. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 11, 2012

Since the position is only three weeks, I would cancel out of it. It's not like it's going to help you that much as far as work experience on your resume. If it was three months, that'd be another story.

Getting as much exposure at other schools as possible is better.

6. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

May 11, 2012

Wantingtoteach,

That is exactly what I want to do, however, I do not want to disappoint the sub locator, who has been very kind to me. I am afraid, if I cancel, she will never call me again. What do you think?

Thanks for your advice!!!

7. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

May 11, 2012

since it's coming up so quickly, I'm not sure I would cancel at this late date. You can do anything for three weeks, trust me it'll go fast. I think the negative association with canceling a job last minute will hurt you more than the exposure you'll get from going to multiple schools...You want to be careful about who you upset...you never know. In any case, having steady work for three weeks will be good anyway, especially so close to summer.

8. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 11, 2012

I agree with UCLA. It's fast approaching, and I wouldn't back out of a job at this point. Three weeks isn't that long-it'll go by quickly.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 11, 2012

It's as simple as you gave your word and you shouldn't go back on it.

I think the point of it being a long interview is that the admins will be watching how you handle yourself long term and that could be a positive step towards getting a teaching job. This is right when the Principals are looking at people to hire for next year.

10. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 11, 2012

I think this could be a good opportunity for you to show the school what a valuable employee you can be.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2012

A long term sub (or kind of long term sub) looks much better on a resume. It says that someone was willing to trust you with a class for an extended period of time.

And, having given your word, I wouldn't back out except for a medical crisis. You said you would do it. Keep your word, and don't damage your professional reputation.

12. bison

bison Habitué

May 11, 2012

I think it's way too late to back out unless you have a serious illness or other emergency (in which case you would not be working anywhere else either).

13. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

May 11, 2012

I agree with UCLACareerChngr on this. You have more to lose than to gain. First of all, do you really think you will sub those last 3 weeks of school? Chances are you won't get called a lot of those days. At this point, I'm not being particular and grabbing anything available in late May and early June.

Second, when you go to interview, a three week assignment is something to talk about while 10 one day assignments are nothing to talk about. For a three week assignment, you will be doing more than babysitting. You will also probably get to know the principal. Chances are he/she will check on you and make sure everything is OK. He/she will remember you. If you accept 10 different one day assignments, you will likely not meet any principals and they will have no idea who you are.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 11, 2012

:yeahthat:

15. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

May 12, 2012

Thanks to all of you who have given me an advice.

Nietzche,

Very well said. You are right about a three-week assignment will sound better in an interview than a ten one-day assignment. However, the reality is that this school is a middle school where almost all kids come from low-income social status background (not trying to be judgmental in any way). Some of these kids have pretty bad behavioral problems.

It is a pretty big school with about 1400 students. Some days, they have as many as 8 subs working on the same given day. According to teachers that work at that school, there is the good group and the bad group. The good group is part a of a special program (don't want to be too specific...) the bad group is part of the regular curriculum.

Also, in that school, I have had to call security twice and have given four detentions and one referral. Thursday, someone told me the teacher that I will be subbing for, has the bad group, and to "put my phone on speed dial" with the security monitor's number.The assignment is Social Studies for 8th graders in Florida.

I am asking myself why choose me among all other subs who have probably been working at that school since the beginning of the year. Is it because this sub locator knows that no other subs would have agreed to do that assignment.

When you think about it, I have only been subbing for one month and a half.

Anyways, I still believe in miracles in the sense that the school might decide at the last minute to assign those three weeks to a more experienced teacher.

I will keep everyone posted. Please pray for me that everything goes well.

16. Tek

Tek Comrade

May 13, 2012

jojo, I'll pray for you as requested. Please pray for my Monday (5/14) half day assignment with Kenny and the 1st graders! Thanks.

My opinion: TAKE IT. I feel deep down you know what you should do, but you made this thread in hopes that someone will convince you otherwise from what you know you ought to do deep DEEP down.

I personally would jump at the chance of a 3-week assignment. It's not 3 months as someone said earlier, but heck, it certainly isn't 10 one-day subs either! It's definitely meaty and gives you something to talk about in an interview. Maybe not resume bulletin material (unless their achievement score rises during your 3 weeks) but certainly great potential interview speak.

GO FOR IT!

Worst comes to worst, 3 weeks will be over before you know it. Best comes to best... hey, the sky's the limit!

If I could take over the final 3 weeks of that first grade class, believe it or not, I probably would. Great experience + great money (well, for an on-call sub you really can't complain as multiple K's >> $500). But mainly, it's about gaining more experience and really seeing what kind of teacher you are. It's hard to tell really in one day sub assignments. A semi-lengthy 3 week job would be a great barometer for you. Your reflections alone would teach you incredibly a lot not only about yourself as a teacher but about children as everyday learners as well.

Take it! Well, actually I shouldn't tell you what to do, as it's your personal choice. But I think you should. I believe assignments don't go to a specific person for no reason, and that this might be "meant to be." I'd hate for you to lose out on a "I was meant to be there but I wasn't" scenario. Never look back with regrets. Just imagine turning it down, only to sub maybe two days during those 3 weeks. Sure, you'd be able to relax a whole lot more, but you got the summer for that!

However you choose, update us on how everything shakes out.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 13, 2012

You will not lose the opportunity to sub in the other schools because of your committment to the LTS position. Turning down the three week job at this point could cause problems for you...districts talk. The LTS school thought highly enough of you to offer the spot to you...you should honor your word.

18. hatima

hatima Devotee

May 13, 2012

Long term sub positions do vary. Some you are 100% responsible for lesson plans and grading, other times another teacher takes on doing your lesson plans. In our district a job lasting 5 days of longer gets an hour extra pay per day for planning. Since it is so close I would not cancel it, you have given your word. I agree with Alice, I think it would damage your professional reputation.

While you are there work on building a good report with your fellow teachers and administrator. Show yourself as a dedicated teacher. It may not help ensure you land a job next year, but it will increase your respect and possibly get you references.

19. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

May 13, 2012

Tek, Czacza, and Hatima,

Thank you so much for your advice and help in that matter. As you mentioned it Tek, it was probably "meant to be". The only thing, when the lady who is the sub locator asked me face to face to sub for the three weeks, I felt as if she did not give me a choice, she mainly told me I would replace Ms. ____ for three weeks (until the end of the year) and that I would have to tell anybody else that I am not available. At the time, I felt flattered that I was offered a three-week assignment.

The district for which I work does not allow subs to work more than ten consecutive days. That being said, May 29 I will be subbing for another teacher and then go back to my regular assignment on May 30th.

Anyways, I am feeling a little better tonight, so hopefully everything turns out to be ok. I really believe in God.

Tek, I am praying for you that everything turns out to be fine tomorrow. I wish I was in your shoes...

20. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

May 14, 2012

Hi all,

As I promised, I am back to tell you how the day went. Guess what, when I got to the school this morning, the sub locator(lady) handed me the class rosters and said you are going to be there the whole week. I take a look and the teacher I was supposed to be replacing is not the one showing on the rosters. It is a totally different name.

Say what!!! This sub locator has been telling me to get ready to sub beginning today until the rest of the year and to my surprise, she changed the assignment without saying a word. Not an explanation or a reason why the assignment changed.

I feel betrayed. Good thing I did not call any school and tell them that I was not going to be available until the remainder of the year. How stupid that would have been.

I learned a lesson today, not to take more than a week assignment in advance.

Please let me know what you think about this situation, and how you would react if you were in my shoes.

Very sad situation!!! DON'T YOU THINK?

21. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

May 14, 2012

Okay, I understand that you feel betrayed because they pulled the rug out from underneath you, and I also understand that it's hard to psych yourself up for something only to come in and find out that it's not what you expected...but if you go back to your first post, you were upset that you got a three week assignment in the first place...isn't this really more of a blessing?

Maybe not completely, but I would try to look at it in that light and turn it into a positive...this gives you the chance later after this week to work at other schools, which is what you wanted in the first place...

22. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

May 14, 2012

UCLACareerchnger,

You are definitely right. It should be a blessing and it is a big blessing. I almost would not believe my eyes when I saw the roster with the different name.

What I mainly upset about is the fact that, she was the one to tell me to let the other schools that I will not be available until the remainder of the year. Before I left on thursday, she confirmed with me once again that I would be subbing for three weeks. I think she should have at least give me an explanation as to why I was not assigned to that class.

Would you be surprised if I told you that 4 schools called me this morning. I felt so bad not being able to tell them yes, I am available.

I am happy that I will work this week only for that school (I will decline any offer from that school for the next two weeks, I will give the other schools a chance.

So again, my prayers were answered, Glory to God...

P.S. Thank you for your quick reply!!!

23. Joy

Joy Cohort

May 15, 2012

That's just the way subbing goes. I spent 2 1/2 years doing it. It's not nice to have jobs cancelled after being promised them. I had a teacher cancel once the day of the assignment after I'd turned down other jobs and I ended up not being able to find something else. I got to the point where I didn't need to sub for the teachers or schools that treated their subs that way.