Urban Elementary Schools?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aspiringinstruc, May 30, 2013.

1. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

May 30, 2013

What do you all think about these schools??? I applied to some and I want to know why do teachers keep telling me not to apply there. Is it bad to want to be in an urban school and help these kids!!???

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

May 30, 2013

I work in an urban school. It is a very rewarding, wonderful job with never a dull moment.

It can also be very difficult and challenging. If you are a person who thrives on challenges and who has strong classroom management skills (or you are willing to hang in there and develop them) then by all means apply.

See if you can arrange to observe or volunteer in an urban school, so that you can get an idea what it might be like to work there.

4. tinkertot

tinkertot Rookie

May 30, 2013

I taught in a really tough urban elementary school (third grade) for the past two years. If you are determined, up for a challenge, great with parents, a good problem solver, and EXTREMELY resilient, it might be for you. I really think it depends on the school that you're at. My school was a very small charter and there wasn't much support or assistance with tough kids. There was a time last year that I had 1 kid destroying my library and another kid with a chair above his head about to throw it - I called 5 admins and no one was to be found. I have friends that work in bigger charter school networks in the city and this is unheard of - the support is much better, and the behavior management school-wide is much more consistent. See if you can talk to teachers that currently work at the school and get their input, or ask to take a tour of the school.

5. teachyouteachme

teachyouteachme Rookie

May 30, 2013

I have never worked in an urban school but I have completed a long-term sub job and completed many of my student teachings at urban schools. It really does make a difference if you have supportive administration and co-workers. Many of the schools had amazing staff that truly cared for the well-being of the children. They were all one big family. However a few of them were not great places to be. The environment was very cold and isolating. I wouldn't write off working at one but definitely do your research. If you can talk to someone who works at one that's even better!

Good luck! I'm currently looking for a teaching job as well. Just graduated in December. I have been subbing since I graduated and sooo ready to get my own classroom. Again, good luck. Hope you hear some good news about a job soon!

6. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 30, 2013

If your looking in ATL metro, check out some of the charters as they seem to have good reputations. That is how my sister in law got her foot in the door as a new teacher. She did two years at an urban school in downtown that was a charter and then moved to a school in a much better area.

7. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 31, 2013

I would not shy away from urban schools. My former sister in law started (and is still at) an urban NYC school thinking she would start there, then be able to transfer easily to a school on Long Island. Many of her students are from a shelter and, for many students, she is the one bit of stability that they have in their lives.

Like others stated, a person needs to be resilient, allow things to roll off their back, and be up for a challenge. Of course I think that any area is a challenge in one way or another and that all teachers need to have a clear classroom management plan.

Go for it - good luck!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 31, 2013

My school is more of a suburban/urban school (in suburb but literally you cross the street and are in a bad city). I feel like I make a difference with my kids. There is a true mix of kids and parents, but I love where I am. I've been here for 9 of my 10 years teaching and love it.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 31, 2013

Is the job you accepted an urban school?

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 31, 2013

You can really make a difference in these kids' lives. My P said on the last day of the school year we can not get rid of the kids, they don't want to leave. She said last year school was over at 11 am, at 2 pm she had to tell them to please go home. That just shows how much they need the school and teachers for structure, love, safety and comfort.