upsetting news today

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cheer, Aug 5, 2009.

1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

We had a meeting today and I am very upset. I work in a small private school that offers before care and after care. That being said here is my story... our numbers are low this year and we were told a month ago that we would have to lose a teacher if numbers did not increase. Well no new numbers so I thought the meeting was to tell us that the teacher who was last hired is now let go. WRONG. They decided that they wanted to keep everyone (thats nice) so all of us will have to work before care or after care! No more pay just more hours. This is how we will keep this teaching position because they would not have to hire before and after care person. SO we (the teachers) have to save this position by working more. Why does this fall on the backs of the teachers? What is administration doing to help save this position? Are they asked to come work after care or take a pay cut? I dont think so. Why couldnt they just say no to that teacher. ( i love her to death but if the numbers are not there they are not there) Why make whole teaching staff suffer? I think I would rather take a pay cut of 2-3% then work more. Has anyone else had this happen? I have done the after care thing and its hard to work 8-5:30 or 8-5:00. I am not sure what to do. I thought about telling them no I wont do it. It just makes me angry

3. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

Can they do that legally? There's got to be something in your contract that prevents them from taking a step like that. Is this something you guys would do in shifts? What if that last-hired teacher took the before/afterschool position?

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 5, 2009

I am so sorry. Why does it seem that teachers get the short end, I agree with you. The administration isn't taking their turn doing the before or after care? They should. That is making for a long day for you. You will be burnt out before the year is half way over. Good thoughts to you!!

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 5, 2009

Indeed,my friend, that is very unfair.

I too work at a private school whose numbers are down considerably. In previous years, third grade had one floating assistant between the 3 classes and each second grade class had their own full-day assistant. At the end of the school year, the 3 assistants in second grade were eliminated and the 1 assistant in grade 3 was eliminated. First grade went from having 3 assistants to 2 floating ones. We have classes of 30 in grades 1, 2, and 3.

I am so sorry that this is happening. In the contract that you signed for this upcoming school year, is there any stipulation that this might occur?

8-5:30 is a VERY long day. I have covered after care once or twice in my early teaching days and I remember being very worn out and tired when I got home from work ~ let alone extra time to plan lessons, confer with parents, return emails and phone calls, and family time.

I am very sorry this is happening and hope there is a better solution for your and your colleagues.

Thinking of you...

6. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

Oops, should've read it more carefully---didn't realize it was a private school. I guess they can get away with that, huh?

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

maybe when they see the quality of the teaching is decreasing, they will make changes. I seriously would be useless if I had those kind of hours!

8. mrsamenakhan

mrsamenakhan Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

working at a private school...they spring these kinds of things on the teachers...Hopefully they will come to their senses and think of a better arrangement that won't be a burden to either side...

9. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I guess I've never had to deal w/ something like that working in a public school. I wouldn't want to do what you're doing, and I feel for you!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2009

Typical private school tactic. And it stinks. Our after care runs until 6 pm and includes a lot of closing duties. I would hate to be forced to do that. Our numbers were down - for several years in a row - and I finally got cut. I don't know that they'll make it through the year, actually, so I'm not surprised.

11. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 5, 2009

Wow. That is a bummer. I can't believe they are doing that to you. I would be livid.

12. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 5, 2009

upsadaisy where are you in FL? Our enrollment is really low also. Looks like we'll be doing soe doubling up and cutting back as well.

cheer - I've worked in private schools for many years and have been through the feast or famine years. One thing about it, in most faith-based schools the teachers and staff are there because they have a heart for that school as well as for the children and the ministry of their job, certainly not the pay because most do not come close to public school pay. There is pro and con to private and public. I'm sure you don't want to be taken advantage of. It sounds like they're just trying to cut back and not have to cut out any more than necessary. 8:00-5:00 is a long day. I did the 7:00-6:00 myself for years between classroom and before/after care. It's hard but it can be done. Just pray and have faith that things will get better economically, enrollment will go back up and we will all have soooo musch less stress and added duties. Did admins. talk to all staff? There may be some that would be willing to work more hours, or trade out late days, etc. Would you have those hours every day or would the staff rotate days? If everyone could rotate days you might not have to have too many longer days a week/month. Hope it works out for all of you!

13. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

that stinks! you won't have to work it every day though will you? Like one day a week or something like that?

14. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I think I would be able to handle those hours once in a while, but not everyday. I would talk to the other teachers to see what their feelings are on the matter. Perhaps if you address your concerns as a group to your administrators it might be easier. Hang in there!

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2009

Extremely unfair. Private schools don't have unions like public schools, do they? I am not on the up-and-up when it comes to private schools. Who is the highest you report to- the director at your school? I'd be very upset.

16. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 5, 2009

It is upsetting to have more duties and longer hours, but the alternative would mean someone is out of work and out of a paycheck. It is very difficult right now to find another job. My husband (not a teacher) was let go from his job in March and is still looking for employment. It is getting very difficult for our family to make ends meet on my paycheck alone. I hope the person who would have been let go appreciates all of you for taking on this extra work so he/she can still have their job.

I am at a private school also. We had to give up our raise this year in order to be able to keep everyone on staff.

Good luck to you this year. Hope everything works out.

17. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 5, 2009

Yeh, no raises for anyone here. Just thankful to have a job. We have teachers who's spouse have lost their jobs, too. We don't want to put anyone out of work so we figure if we all pull together, each of our "little bits of extra" will help all in the long run, that's the plan. May not have more income, but we do have an income. I agree with sundrop, I hope the he/she appreciates that it's because of all of her co-workers that he/she still has a job.

18. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

That really stinks! Speaking from experience... I worked at a private school and had to do after school care. It was VERY rough on me. I was very stressed out and exhausted by the end of the day. Now..doing the morning care was better because it was less hours and kids are still sleepy and quiet in the morning. To be perfectly blunt--I would never do the school day plus day care again. I started dreading going to work. =(

19. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

They do similar things at my school and I'm public. This year we only had 1 female gym teacher, so we had to give up part of our planning 2 or 3 times a week to be in the locker room for 10-15 minutes before class and 10-15 minutes at the end of class to help supervise. Not nearly as bad as what you have, but still something that's not in my contract. Good luck! I hope they can find a different solution for you.

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

Could they do a rotation schedule where everyone wouldn't have to stay late??

I'm so sorry, this is just awful.

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

I was director of a church sponsored child care. Our enrollment went from 55 to 10. I was asked to go back in the classroom. I was not prepared to return to the classroom, so I resigned.

22. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 6, 2009

update

After talking to everyone, we have decided that we are all not happy but we see differently on how to handle this. The teacher who's position we are saving is upset by hours! She was hoping to leave and work as a coach (at another school) (to make more money) With these new schedules she will not be able to do that (something she really wants to do) The 2 other teachers said they would do morning care and a hour of after care and thats it. I want to offer a small pay cut so I do not have to do these hours. I have not really slept all night because of this. I wonder if I could be frank to my boss about this? I was thinking... We are not getting raises, they took 2 aides away, and are getting rid of after before care salaries. With the 2 aide positions gone couldnt they use that salary to pay before and after care???
    Also... Last week we were eliminating teacher position and merging 2 grades together so it would be a 2/3 split and we would not offer 4-5 (which means 3 students would have to be let out of contract) Are we putting this on the teachers backs to make those 3 parents happy?? Why the sudden change on keeping teacher?? The only thing I could think of was the parent angle because boss said parent had no where else to send them (because of late notice) and she was not sending her to public school. This makes sense in the change of attitude?? Do you all think I should callmy boss and be frank about my feelings?

23. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 6, 2009

How much is your enrollment down? Did they raise tuition? As for talking to your boss...If your boss is a Christian, he/she should know that it is Biblical to take concerns directly to the person and should be willing to lovingly hear you out. Also, a good director/leader should be able to set personal feelings aside, be non-judgemental, listen with an open mind, have empathy, and still make sound business deisions in the best interest of the school as a whole. Not an easy job at all and even harder when you truly care about your staff! Our school is small and we all feel like family and have a wonderful, open relationship with our director even when we disagree about things which absolutely does happen. We've had to not fill two previous positions (one we knew was already leaving for a job with more pay, the other, there just isn't enough students,PK3, to have a class. Worked out because that teacher has 4 children and has decided to home school them, so as it turned out no one had to be let go anyway. Now we'll combine K4 & Kinder. I know there's going to have to be other compromises as well just not sure what.

24. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2009

I think many private schools with low enrollment are in serious trouble and they are trying to save themselves. Does enrollment usually increase or decrease throughout the year? In many schools it decreases, so the situation could get worse. I know many of the decisions administrations around the nation are making are terrible for teachers and students but they are doing what they have to do to survive. Things will get better eventually but are projected to be worse in education next year before they get better. I think most of us are going to have to "suck it up" for awhile. It's not like there are a lot of options out there. Our situation is a little different and we are "at will" employees. The first cuts our principal made are people who were problems, complainers or not good with paperwork. Her philosophy at the moment is for us to shut up and work hard - those who rock the boat may be thrown in the water which is why I have been venting here instead of at work.

25. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 6, 2009

For awhile the numbers were low in my private school too--- we thought 1 teacher was going to leave and it was going to cause a HUGE mix up among who would teach what and where. The drama has calmed down a bit and we're going to go with smaller classes than originally planned.

It's scary, its a huge change, but remember: its for the kids. Some of my students last year wouldn't leave the school until 6pm or later, when their parents could finally pick up. One of my very close students had that situation and I was more than happy to hang around and help her with homework until 4pm or even 4:30pm. I would like to be paid more, of course, times are hard, but if I could make a student a little happier and feel more cherished, its worth it.

I'm sorry you're in this situation--- but within the first few weeks of school, every should be pretty settled and you'll get through it.

26. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 7, 2009

Enrollment is down by maybe 10 kids and one whole k class (that teacher already left and relocated) As far as tuition.. no increase and we were told that we would not get raise so they wouldnt have to raise tuition. That was ok with us.
    We are still running different scenarios with our boss and we did tell her that no one wanted the 5:00 and 5:30 shift. We did think we could offer a small pay cut (3%) to help us not to have to work extra but was told 3% not enough and we all needed to give up close to 4000 dollars. We all agree that was not do able.