Uppercase or Lowercase first?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wait'n2teach, Sep 23, 2013.

1. wait'n2teach

wait'n2teach Rookie

Sep 23, 2013

I was wondering how some of you did this. Do you teach uppercase first or lowercase first?

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Sep 23, 2013

Not in preschool, but do work with beginning readers. I start with lower.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 23, 2013

I teach kindergarten and recommend lowercase. Most words in print are lowercase. A lot of pre-k teachers start with capital because they contain more straight lines and are easier to write.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 23, 2013

I agree with EdEd, not in PS. But, there are a lot of pre-writing activities you can do.

6. TinyTeacher

TinyTeacher Rookie

Sep 23, 2013

My curriculum has me starting with upper case first. I had never thought about which to teach first until I saw this post.

7. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Sep 23, 2013

I teach them their names first! They sign in every day. They will be able to recognize their letters and of course their names and will be able to write their names before K. but I have a mixed age group of 3-5's so its difficult to teach sometimes... however I do concentrate on a specific letter which I have found very successful and I use Dr. Jean's music EVERY day! :whistle:

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2013

Most preschools/pre-K programs around me teach uppercase first. I think this has to do with it being easier for the students to write. However, we focus on lowercase in Kindergarten because it is what they will mostly see when reading.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2013

I understand the people/programs that focus on uppercase first because it is easier to write BUT what about reading? That is mostly lowercase. So...I do both. The kinder teachers around me want the preschoolers coming in writing their names in upper and lowercase so we start of from the beginning doing both. I don't use a pre-made curriculum so it is flexible to do what we want.

10. preteach

preteach Rookie

Sep 24, 2013

I am with scmom and expose my class to both. When it comes to writing we focus on the letters in their names first, always doing a capital and then lowercase. I don't think preschool is too young to introduce letters and see what individual kids are ready for.

11. TinyTeacher

TinyTeacher Rookie

Sep 24, 2013

Which songs do you use?

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2013

Handwriting without tears starts with capital letters, but 99% of everything we write is in lower case. I always do lowercase first and usually just touch on the capitals.

In kindergarten we do manuscript first semester, for about the first 3 weeks of school, and then in January we do cursive for the whole month of January. From then on, they're expected to write in cursive.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 25, 2013

Names first....one capital then lowercase for rest. Then all letters taught are lower. Since I didn't teach a letter a day, letters were taught as a full unit of items to use.

14. wait'n2teach

wait'n2teach Rookie

Oct 10, 2013

Thank you!

Thank you all for your responses. Some very helpful information!