Upper El. Classroom Centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Auter12, May 10, 2010.

1. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

May 10, 2010

I am looking for ideas for 4th/5th learning centers. I have some of my own, but there is really a minimal amount of upper elementary centers things in classroom supply catalogs. I am good at altering an idea to fit the grade, but am stuck in a few areas (mostly science and social studies, but I'll take any). I would like the centers to be more hands-on, because I think that independent "paperwork" is WAY boring for the students (and for me to grade). Anyone have some great ideas for me?

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 11, 2010

4. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

May 11, 2010

Try http://www.fcrr.org
    They have excellent reading centers - you can search by grade level and skill.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 11, 2010

Check out Debbie Diller's book Practice With a Purpose. It is full of ideas for upper elementary literacy stations. A few of the ones that really excited me were the poetry station and the newspaper station (in that one they are practicing things like finding subjects, etc in articles).

6. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 12, 2010

For Science, you could have charts they need to fill in. For example, they can fill in a venn diagram that shows magnetic and non-magnetic things in the room.

For Social Studies, you can have various surveys that the students would need to complete. For example, Do you recycle at home? And they can ask students around the room and compile the information into a chart. They could design their own questions/surveys with this as well.

7. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

May 12, 2010

I would suggest trying strategies from the Daily 5 (there are many posts on this form discussing it). I think it is much more valuable for the students than running centers. Plus, it requires very little prep work, which allows you to focus on working with guided reading groups.

8. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

May 15, 2010

FCRR was going to be my recommendation, too!

Evan-Moor's Take It To Your Seat center books are a good resource. They have them for all reading (phonics, language arts, and literacy), science, and math.

9. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

May 15, 2010

FCRR is great!!!

10. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 15, 2010

budget?

11. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 16, 2010

Yes - I went to one of her workshops and really loved the approach to differentiating instruction using literacy stations! I am trying to add a little in - and with budget cuts and the loss of some instructional assistants for next year, the ones we do have will be spread thin. I will have less help when differentiating, so I want to use her ideas.

12. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

May 17, 2010

What!? Schools actually have a budget for that? :) No, this would be coming out of pocket.

13. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 18, 2010

my question was how much are you willing to spend ;)

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 19, 2010

Evan Moore has books with center games and activities for upper grades (writing, literacy, science, geography) that are a bit pricey but worth the time you save making your own. All I had to do was put the title page on a pocket folder, cut out the pieces, and laminate everything. I have also seen things called Wrap Ups for states and capitals, multiplication families, etc. I know the 4th grade teachers at my school love them. When my brother was in gradeschool his teacher has something called MindQuest the kids could play in their free time. It was a set of cards with puzzles and mind benders and such. He loved them.

15. katenar

katenar Cohort

May 19, 2010

16. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

May 22, 2010

I spend quite a bit of my own personal $ on classroom resources already, anyway. I buy things as I go. The actual budget for something specific gets lost in the receipts!!