Upgraded To Windows VISTA Yet?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Suburban Gal, Mar 2, 2007.

?

Have you upgraded to Windows VISTA yet?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Mar 2, 2007

I was devastated when the motherboard in my HP Pavilion a1050y burned out on me two weeks ago so I had no choice but to order a new DELL and upgrade to Windows VISTA.

Since my upgrade to VISTA, I've spent way more than I initially wanted to spend. I've had to replace all of my periphials minus the printer (it has a built in driver) and I've had to deal with tons and tons of incompatible stuff with VISTA, which is why the periphials needed to be replaced in the first place!

Quite honestly, there's really nothing new in VISTA and it's just Windows XP "dressed up" a bit. In other words, everything that XP can do, Vista can do... only it's buried under a different menu and it has a new name. While average users probably never use many of these settings, power users, like myself, have found themselves starting from scratch to re-learn Windows.

My advice: Stay with Windows XP. While I marginally like my Windows VISTA, I'd give anything to be able to go back to Windows XP.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 2, 2007

I have heard not to get Vista for at least 6 months. So that all the bugs are worked out. My mom has it on her new puter. It works with her printer and camera........

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 2, 2007

I've heard the "PC & Mac" commercial where the PC has a security guard is actually quite accurate as to how Vista works. I find it funny. I have several computers at home, PCs and Macs. I'm upgrading an extra to Vista right now. We'll see how it runs.

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 3, 2007

Unless all of your peripherals are brand new, you'll have to replace them all. One of my friends called the Microsoft help desk to ask how to get the peripherals to work with Vista, and he was told, quite bluntly, that the printer, scanner, video camera, etc, that were only two years old would NOT work with Vista and he would have to replace everything. When he expressed his amazement, the help desk woman told him that if he were that upset and in a hurry to print, scan, etc, he should delete the Vista from his new computer and buy XP and install it.

No Vista for me, at least not for quite a while.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2007

My old computer (as in bought when I started college in Aug. 1999) finally had it, so my boyfriend and I decided to buy a laptop. Everything out there now comes with Vista...kinda scary since a lot of things aren't Vista compatible yet. We still have a Dell desktop with XP that I use and he uses the laptop. We haven't had any real problems yet except that I can't send any email from my work email for some reason...I guess the certificates of issue aren't Vista compatible for that. If I had realized all computers now came out with Vista, I might've waited except it was a great deal. :)

7. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 3, 2007

Wow! Sounds like Vista is a nightmare. I usually wait about a year for the designers to get all the bugs out. Do they not intend to fix the incompability issue with peripherals? That would certainly make me pause before upgrading.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2007

Most major corporations won't be upgrading to Vista until it has been in the field elsewhere, or in their labs, for 6 to 12 months. Rules of thumb with Microsoft operating systems: never install the first release, never install the first service pack, wait for service pack 2. The first release generally has serious bugs and you may find unexpected problems in upgrading. Let someone else find them. The first service pack is typically rushed out to fix the problems in the initial release. It will fix them but cause new problems. The second service pack will generally provide the first reasonably stable release.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2007

I love the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I find that if I buy ANYTHING new, it's always worse than my old product. Doesn't matter what it is (new shower head, new vaccum, door knobs, phone, cell phone, washing machine, printer, cars, etc.) Honestly, things are not made the way they used to. So, I got a new laptop two years ago and will NOT upgrade or anything until this computer literally falls apart.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2007

My 2004 computer died a week or so ago, and I bought a new one. They didn't have anything except Windows Vista! Normally I have my desktop computers made by a local guy, but I really needed to get some things done . . . and this one died rather unexpectedly, so I bought a store-bought one.

Some of my software has been a bit squirrelly, but most of it has been "fixable" with a couple of extra downloads. I didn't have any trouble with my printer--and all-in-one copy/scan/print/fax--or my photo printer, my digital camera, or my PDA.

Normally I won't upgrade to a new operating system until they've released an update or two . . . but I didn't have a choice this time.

I really don't see that Vista is all that great.

11. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Mar 4, 2007

Sensible people will simply give up on the lost cause known as "Windows," especially VISTA, (which, by the way, stands for Viruses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware) and do the sane thing.....get a Mac!

12. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 5, 2007

We did but didn't want to. there are just too many problems still. But we had to buy a new computer tower last week. It was already there.

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2007

I keep saying that I need a new computer.....now I am scared!!!!!! I hope that this one hangs on (it is making strange sounds as I type.....ahhhhhh)