Updating....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, May 13, 2013.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2013

Yup. My friend works at G. It is a charter with 4 schools. There is one I would be very leery of.
    Hoping for public, but if that is all I can get, then I will live. Better than nothing!

2. teachyouteachme

teachyouteachme Rookie

Jun 14, 2013

Wow, you have been busy! I'm sure one of those will be an offer! Good luck!

3. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jun 14, 2013

This is exciting! It makes me feel like the economic issues in education are turning around! YAY!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2013

I'm looking state-wide. 5 of the interviews have been 2-4 hours away. I've only had 2 less than an hour away.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2013

I's interview went OK. Not great; not terrible. It could go either way.

In other news, there is now a school L. Is is REALLY far away. Way closer to Chicago than Detroit. Interview on July 1. I know nothing about the school (yet), but the position is 5th. Boo.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2013

Recap:
    A- eliminated
    B- eliminated
    C- awaiting official openings- in the hiring pool
    D- eliminated
    E- eliminated
    F- waiting for a call to set up a second interview- not guaranteed the second interview, but not eliminated yet
    G- pending
    H- eliminated
    I- pending
    J- Pending
    K- interview Tuesday
    L- interview July 1

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2013

G (where my friend works) called to ask me in for a second interview. I have an interview at K tomorrow at noon, and G tomorrow at 2. They are 20 minutes apart, so I hope K is running on time! :eek: G wanted me there at noon as well, but I told them I couldn't. 2 was the only other time.

I would really like to cancel L since it is nearly to Chicago....

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2013

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2013

School J just called with a rejection. It sounds as if the phone interview hurt me. Phooey. School J was farther than I'd LIKE to be, but it was an amazing new school with all project based learning, multi-age classrooms, etc... She did say she'd keep me in mind if they had another opening.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2013

Recap:
    A- eliminated
    B- eliminated
    D- eliminated
    E- eliminated
    F- waiting for a call to set up a second interview- not guaranteed the second interview, but not eliminated yet
    G- second interview tomorrow
    H- eliminated
    I- pending
    J- eliminated
    K- interview tomorrow
    L- interview July 1

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 17, 2013

It's okay if this goes on to AA school. You're spreading those resumes like thick blackberry jam!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2013

As of Saturday, I have responded to 188 job postings. Many are for multiple positions. ALL of my interviews have come out of the first 100. So, theoretically, I could double my 12 interviews soon....

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2013

I'm keeping a color coded chart. I did not keep track of the jobs last year, so I have no idea how many I applied to. There were FAR more job postings last year. This year I have just widened my job hunt to the entire Lower Peninsula. Last year, I kept it within 90 minutes of my family. Ironically, 7 of the 12 interviews are still within the 90 minute mark, and 2 more are about 120 minutes. So only 3 of my interviews have been outliers.

14. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Jun 17, 2013

I've just been reading through this thread and wanted to say GOOD LUCK to you! You sound like a fantastic and capable teacher and I hope that great things start pouring your way soon! :)

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2013

My biggest fault, I'm finding, is my innate fear of letting someone down. I hate talking myself up in case I don't meet expectations. (Crazy, I know)

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

K's interview was a screening one. I'm not sure what happened with the time- I was told noon. They were no where to be found- they showed up a few minutes before 1. (I had another interview 20 minutes away scheduled for 2!!) Waiting for an hour and 15 minutes is not super fun.
    It went well until I screwed up. Majorly. They asked my opinion of formative and summative assessments and how I use them. I answered it BACKWARDS. I'd say 'formative' and my examples would be summative and vice versa. I caught myself at the very end. I said "Oh my gosh- I just answered that backwards!" One of them replied that they were wondering! I was so embarrassed! Not expecting a call back from them! And that community is sooo nice. Bummer.

Round 2 at G was H-A-R-D. She gave me a lot of scenarios that were crazy!
    Example: Your principal only observes you twice for 10 minutes. He/she comes in the first day back from Christmas Break. You have 4 SPED kids and your para called in sick. Your best student is acting out- his father walked out on them a few days ago. The class is generally chaos and you are doing your best. As a result, your evaluation is negative. What do you do?
    Every time I'd answer, she'd change the scenario a bit and said my P didn't care about that!
    Hard, hard, hard. I'll know in a few weeks.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

In other news, I have a new interview tomorrow! Again, slightly over an hour away. I don't know much about the area. This would be school M.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

Recap:
    A- eliminated
    B- eliminated
    D- eliminated
    E- eliminated
    G- pending
    H- eliminated
    I- pending
    J- eliminated
    K- pending
    L- interview July 1
    M- interview tomorrow

19. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 18, 2013

Good luck tomorrow :)

20. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 18, 2013

:lol: I always get those confused as well.

Good luck with everything! I check this thread almost everyday because I'm rooting for you :hugs:

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

And.... the official rejection just came. Bye-bye to K.

22. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jun 19, 2013

giraffe326 I just have to say Im floored by your determination and dedication to the job search!!! I cannot wait to hear what lucky school gets you :) keep doing your thing because clearly you're impressing a lot of people!

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2013

I mentioned both of those things initially. I was then told your P doesn't want to hear it and can't come back in. So, I said I would ask for advice on how to better handle it next time. Her response- "The advice is the exact same things you were trying to do." :banghead:
    I then said I'd ask the P to ask others about me. Ask my teammates, ask my students, etc... I said that I am not a confrontational person, but this would be my career on the line, so I'd really try to get through to the P.

24. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 19, 2013

Oh gosh I hate it when they give scenarios like that and nothing you say is good enough. You are doing awesome though, fingers crossed!

25. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 19, 2013

I think I would be tempted to say something to the effect of "is that really how the admin acts here?" Not somewhere I'd want to be...

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2013

She laughed and said that they would never do that.

My friend, who works there, has never been observed. She was laughing when I told her about this.

27. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2013

Oh, and I applied for position #200 today. Well, actually I'm at #203.
    :tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired: :tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired:

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2013

I interviewed at M today. I am not familiar with the area at all, even though it is only an hour away from my hometown. It was a very nice area and the school was absolutely gorgeous! Bright (big skylights), open, cheerful- I was extremely impressed!
    Apparently the Ps were interviewing in the AM and then mixed teams up for the PM. I get there and the P of the school came out and told me the other Ps were running behind. I was early, and it was no big deal. He came back out, had me do the writing prompt first. I finished, and I was back to waiting again. He came out and talked about how he really liked the formatting of my resume (very non-traditional), and we talked a bit about design and stuff like that. Very candidly and easy. Finally, the P and AP brought me back and let me show off stuff I brought with me!! BEFORE the interview- it was pretty different. I had moments where I got to talk to both of them while one or the other ran off to call the other Ps for the millionth time. I learned a lot and was able to fit a lot of ways I could help in. For example, the district is weak in science. I have a LOT of science training, and I teach staff development at my current school on STEM and inquiry based instruction.
    Finally, they decided to start without the others. (The interview is now 45 minutes late- but at least I wasn't waiting alone in a hall like yesterday!) One of the other Ps came in as I was answering the first question, and the other one came in around the third or fourth question. I feel this was my best interview yet (YAY!) As they asked me things, I'd refer back to things I already showed the P/AP prior to the interview. At one point, the original P even said he was glad I referred back to that so the other two Ps could see- he was going to tell me to show it to them if I hadn't worked in my answer :)
    Anyway, I feel it went great :D
    Bad news- it is a screening interview for a pool. I should know whether or not I am in the pool within a week or so. However, after the pool is formed, it moved into HRs hands- and could be as late as mid August before I could hear anything :eek: He did say that they hate it and lose out on good candidates because of this. :down: (It could also be as early as a week or two- apparently HR is unpredictable.)

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2013

Recap:
    A- eliminated
    B- eliminated
    D- eliminated
    E- eliminated
    F- pending
    G- pending
    H- eliminated
    I- pending
    J- eliminated
    K- eliminated
    L- interview July 1
    M- pending

30. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2013

Sounds like a really promising interview, giraffe!

31. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 19, 2013

Well that sounds promising. Hopefully something will come of it!

32. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 19, 2013

Sounds like a good interview!

33. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 19, 2013

That ALL sounded really good---Good Luck!

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2013

M called today- she said I did a great job and they want me to come back in TOMORROW for a 2nd interview! :woot: I was the FIRST person they called- she said that several times! That gave me the opportunity to pick my time!!!!
    I'm so excited!!

35. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2013

Oh- I was reading their contract yesterday.
    In case you don't know here is some information about teaching in my school, which is the norm in North Carolina. Pay is state mandated. As a 6th year teacher, I made $31,220. Every 6th year teacher in the state made that- click here if you want to see how pathetic salary schedules are. I receive 90 minutes of planning WEEKLY. I had a parent that would come take my kids to lunch and recess on Mondays to give me a little extra time. She was wonderful! Hopefully you inferred that I also have recess and lunch duty every day. And, no, there is no extra pay for it. I also have car/bus duty after school every other week. It lasts about 30 minutes. No pay for that either. I am required to be at school 60 minutes before the tardy bell. I am required to be at school 20 minutes after dismissal. And, yes, car/bus duty lasts longer than that.

I was reading the contract for M. They have to be to school 6 minutes before the bell, and they can leave 11 minutes after the bell. Duty free lunch (30 minutes) daily. 63 minutes of planning daily. Salary? I could only find a salary schedule from 2009-2010. If they pay me for all of my experience, 6 years, I would make $55K. If they start me at step 0, $38K. The cost of rent is about the same in both areas.

36. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 20, 2013

I keep coming back to see the updates, because I know you will have a really good offer, more than one for sure!!
    I think it's a good sign that they even told you that you were the first one. I don't know how it works, but if I was making a decision, I would tell my secretary to call in order of importance.

37. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2013

It was the AP that called- she sat in on the interview. This school was so nice- everyone seemed really happy to be there, even at the end of the year, which impressed me. I'm really excited!

38. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 20, 2013

Holy crap! I was looking into moving to North Carolina because I love it there...but that low pay and all those duties are making me rethink! I don't mind doing extra duties at all but wow. Teachers in NJ start the LOWEST at around $40k but I know a lot of first year teachers making $50k or more!!! I hope you get School M, that all sounds so promising!! And that you get paid for your NC experience!! Good luck :D

39. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2013

Good luck! Hopefully this is the one!

And I am never moving to NC!

40. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2013

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!