Updating....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, May 13, 2013.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2014

Oh- I've never stopped. Well, I guess I did during October. I applied for 3 mid year jobs this week, as well as two long terms.

2. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jan 15, 2014

Awesome! I hope I don't get so busy I forget to search. I'm happy at my job but plan on applying to openings closer to my hometown. What's your preference again? I'll let you know if I hear of anything in my district. I forget - are you on my district's sub list? If so PM me your name and I'll add you to my preferred sub list. Obviously it's art, but it could get your foot in the door.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2014

I'm K-6 with a ZA and a 6-8 endorsement in math and social studies. And, yes, I am on your district's list. PM sent :)

Any maternity leaves in your building? I wish I was kidding but my other LTS fell through.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2014

Well, with well over 400 jobs applied for, around 30 interviews, and 2 job offers (plus some PT job offers and a LTS job offer), I'm glad I won't have to repeat this next year!!!!

I will be looking for a job again, but with my very narrow scope, I probably won't even reach 20 applications. I'm so relieved!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2014

Oh- and a strange fact- with all of the interviews I've been on in the last 8 years (in the 40-50 mark), I've received exactly 3 job offers- and they have all been on the spot.

(full time offers, anyway. I've been offered several LTS and PT positions days/weeks after an interview.)

6. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Feb 2, 2014

So did you receive a job offer?!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2014

I wish you lived here so you could take over for me!

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2014

Yup. I took a job about 90 miles from my family. I will be teaching kindergarten, which is scary for me. I start tomorrow- shadowing. Wednesday it is all me!

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 2, 2014

Congrats:) Are you planning on moving?

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2014

I only want to lease for 3-4 months. Apparently they all want to charge you an extra $200 a month for the short term lease. :rolleyes:
    I don't want to lease for longer than that because I will try to get a job locally, and I have made a few connections in several districts. It was surprisingly easy to get noticed as a 'good sub' and get on preferred lists. I'm hoping that will translate into a local job.
    Plus, my sister's baby is due on the 15th, and after her maternity leave she will likely change jobs and have to get to first shift M-F, so she will need me to watch the baby in the summer.
    This leaves me with the renting problem. Plus, since I am hiring in mid year, my salary is super low. Normally they take a portion of your paycheck to cover the summer out of 10 months worth of paychecks. I'm paying for my summer out of 4.5 months of pay checks.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 2, 2014

I think that's pretty normal, unfortunately. :( Our place would charge us about $400 extra a month if we went month to month, and probably just a bit less than that for a very short lease like you mentioned. We pay the least amount possible because we are on a 12 month lease. The rent goes up as the lease length goes down.

Six month leases aren't usually AS bad, especially in certain complexes. But I guess that would take you through July...too long, right?

I hope you find something that works out!

12. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Feb 2, 2014

Where are you staying this week?

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2014

I'm going to commute. All but 6-8 miles are expressway. It takes about 75-80 minutes.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2014

I know all the complexes are going to charge that. I have to start calling about houses and house apartments. It is rural, so there are some available. There is one house for rent on the same street as the school that is advertising a 6 month lease. I'm going to call and ask if they would consider just 4 months, or even 3. I'm hoping that if I deal with a person instead of a complex that I can work something out. In my mind, I'd like to be out by May 31st and just commute the last week. I'd even be flexible with the landlord that they could start advertising it 4-6 weeks early, and I can just commute as soon as they rent it. With the terrible winter we've had, I don't want to depend on commuting until April!

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2014

I hope something works out for you.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2014

I got a random call from a principal in a district I've never even subbed in offering me a long term for the rest of the year. The P at my first long term used to work in that district and passed my name on to him. I told the P on the phone that I was taken for the rest of the year but to keep me in mind for a permanent position next year. He laughed, said he figured I was taken and will keep me in mind if they have openings next year. Yay! It is a district about 20 minutes from my hometown. This also excites me because I know that my LTS principal will pull for me if his district has openings.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 18, 2014

The epic tale continues. Love it!

18. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2014

That's great news

19. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Feb 20, 2014

So happy for you :D

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 1, 2014

And..... District C is back! Go back to the beginning to learn about it. It is one of the elite districts in my state.

I have to take Wednesday off. I hate lying and manipulating.

This is the only job I've applied for so far, so my interviewing ratio for 2014-2015 is 100%!! :woot:

And, yes, I still have my current job. And will have it in the fall. The other district is 50 miles closer to my hometown and one of the top paying in the state. My school pays in the bottom 5-10%. My mom says I'm crazy- I will be giving up a school that has zero traffic in my commute to one that will have a ton. The commute time will only be about 15-20 minutes less.**

**This is super confusing, probably. Monday-Thursday, I stay in an apartment 20 miles from school, 70 miles from my family. On Friday-Sunday, I stay at my mom's house. So on Monday morning and Friday afternoon, I commute the whole 90 miles. I also end up going 'home' for other things like birthdays, family dinners, appointments, etc... So I occasionally do the commute twice a week.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 1, 2014

Good luck!

22. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 1, 2014

Good luck!

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 1, 2014

Yay!! Good luck :)

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 1, 2014

I love following your saga. Hope this is the real one!!

25. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 1, 2014

Good luck!!

26. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

May 1, 2014

Ohhh yaaaay here we go again:D good luck to you!

27. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 1, 2014

Annnnddd.... We're off! Good luck!:thumb:

28. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 1, 2014

Ready to take that journey with you!

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 1, 2014

Much, much smaller scale this year.

I'm hoping my LTS has openings early in the year. You can never be sure, but I feel pretty confident with that one!

30. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

May 6, 2014

I hope everything goes wonderfully for you. Fingers crossed. :)

31. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 7, 2014

Today was my interview. I have been battling food poisoning since Saturday. I haven't eaten in days. I worked a half day on Monday morning, worked all day yesterday, and threw up again last night. So I actually had a legitimate reason to call in. And they know I've been really sick. So, at least that is in my favor.

As for the interview, the writing prompt was the same as last year. So I pretty much wrote the exact same thing. They really don't know how many teachers they will need yet. They are interviewing less than last year. Last year they interviewed over 200 and a bit less than half made it into the pool for the 16 openings they had. You sign up online, so you see how many spots are taken. I didn't count them all, but I'd estimate only 100-150 are even interviewing this year. So much better odds for me. One of the Ps that interviewed me today interviewed me last year, too. The questions were basic and the same. Despite being sick, I was way more relaxed this year. So hopefully I make it past round 1 again this year. And hopefully it leads to something this time!

Now if only my stomach would settle down, life would be good :)

32. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 7, 2014

Yikes, that is NOT great circumstances for an interview, but you're a known commodity. Hoping for the best.

33. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 7, 2014

It makes a HUGE difference interviewing when you already have a job you know you can go back to. I think, anyway!

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 7, 2014

I think so, too.

Budgets are pretty unknown for next year around here because districts will have to undergo major technology upgrades for the new testing program that will roll out next year. So I'm not surprised that job postings are slow going this year. But I'm actually looking forward to seeing if there is a difference this year. I have a few things that will make me a more attractive candidate- I am actually living in the state, I now have experience in 3rd and K, and I have taught a year in the state.

I've been trying to read my contract to see when they usually issue them for next year, when resignation deadlines are, etc... It doesn't say anything about it. I don't want to ask, because, well, I'd give myself away.

35. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

May 7, 2014

How does that feel interviewing again for the same district, with the same principal,a year later? I often think ahead and wonder if for some reason I'm interviewing again next year if I would even try applying to the same schools I previously interviewed at.

36. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 7, 2014

This is a large district. They give you a written portion and put you through a screening interview. If you pass, you are placed in a pool and principals can then ask you to come in for a second interview.
    They set it up as a screening interview and principals interview at least 50 candidates each. I didn't get a second interview, so he likely doesn't remember me.

37. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

May 7, 2014

Ahhh, got ya. Some interviewing processes are so impersonal when they have hundreds of candidates to screen in person. I applied to the school I work in twice in the past and never was asked to interview. My friend did have a few phone interviews with them though, never made it to an in person interview though. When I started to sub there it started to make sense as to how and why they interview the way they do. I'm pretty sure the only reason I got an interview for this year and got to skip the usual phone interview process is because I sub there and they know me. So hoping it works to my advantage having a foot in the door.

38. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 1, 2014

I followed your saga last summer, but once the school year started, I got too busy to keep up. I just spent the last half hour getting caught up, and I am so impressed that you never let what has to be a discouraging situation get you down! You have amazing strength! :)

39. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2014

I guess I might as well try to keep my job-seeking drama (mostly) in one place.

Job postings have been very, very slow this year. They've just picked up in the last week or so. I've been pretty picky about where I am applying to. I have my job in a decent district next year teaching 3rd. It is just 90 miles away. Therefore, I've been looking under 30 miles and only in decent districts. I'm not applying in urban districts because I've learned that urban teaching is not for me. I've also completely cut out middle school unless it is one of two districts. I'm not interested, but I'd do it for a year to be an internal applicant for next year.

I received a call for an interview today, and now I'm just not sure how I feel about it. I know I applied. It is for 6th grade math and social studies, but the building is K-6. It is close. Less than 5 miles. But the district has been struggling financially. They've closed all their elementaries over the last 10-15 years. They are down to just a K-6 and 7-12 building. They just moved the elementary kids into the middle school building last year. I don't really want to teach 6th, either.

After the debacle with the charter school, I am just afraid of making another mistake. This is not inner-city, but it is bordering the city. The population is better, but not great. Plus the financial status of the district scares me.

Meanwhile, several great school districts have posted openings in the last week or so. One previously offered me a LTS position based on the recommendation of the P from my LTS. That P used to be a P in that district. So I feel like I have a shot there. My hometown keeps posting jobs (they just added another today), but then again, they haven't interviewed me since 2006. Part of me wonders if the fact that I am local, and that I have a year teaching in the state, will unlock some doors for me.

This is by far my most hated part of job searching. Getting an interview for a job that you feel is a last resort and not knowing where you stand with other schools. It is so lose-lose! Get offered and take the job and something better comes along! Don't do your best at the interview, or turn down the job, and no one else hires you either.

I just have to see where it take me. I have a job, so I'm not forced into taking something. I am lucky, I guess.

Back to my LTS principal- he started his career in this district. It's been a while, but he has connections here, too. I'm not sure if his name as a reference helped me out or not. I guess if this goes well, and I am offered the position, I will have to give him a call and see if he thinks this is a good move for me or not. His current district, my 2nd choice in the world (behind my hometown), hasn't posted anything. Last year they didn't until late August. That would be too late for me, since I have to deal with a move if I end up back 90 miles away.

Blah. I should be happy I'm interviewing........

40. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2014

Oh and my other interview was a bust. I had food poisoning and I can't say I was entirely focused. I'm OK with it though.