Updating....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, May 13, 2013.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2013

We've complained. One person said that she had another job offer and would only stay if we got out earlier. Contract says 5:15, but we've been stuck until 5:30-6 every day.
    She brought us in 45 minutes earlier and we can leave an hour earlier effective Tuesday (the 3rd). Well, today was the earliest I've gotten out all week- 4:50. So now I'm going in at 7 and I'm stuck there until 5:30. It is ridiculous. Our paychecks actually pay us hourly- based on 8 hours. I have yet to figure out how they figure 8 hours per day- contract said 8-5:15 with a 30 minute lunch! Last I checked, that was 8 hours and 45 minutes!!! Now I'm pulling even more.

In a nutshell, I don't find it would help. And as I think about my P (who was publicly fired and in cohorts with a corrupt superintendent in one of the worst districts in the state), I don't see her as being a good reference in the future.

I'm out! It seems annoying to sub again, but hopefully things will work out and I'll get a permanent job next year.

2. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 6, 2013

I can't really believe they pay you hourly. When you first started noticing issues and applying for other jobs, I was skeptical and thinking you should try to stick it out for the year. Now I think every teacher needs to leave your school so that they can see that this isn't how you treat your staff. I hope you're able to find another permanent position quickly.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2013

We're all confused. We're salary, but our paycheck bases it on an hourly rate. They just divided out daily salary by 8. FYI- it says we make $17 and change per hour. Subs make about $13-14 around here. As a LTS, I will make $25 an hour. Since I will work less hours per day, it comes out to about $50 more per day to take the LTS! Of course I'm giving up holiday pay and what not.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 7, 2013

I'm wondering what the vibe is like from parents. Do they seem to have any clue how bad things are? Do they seem to understand how much their child is struggling? Do they know teachers are walking out and the library isn't ready? Do they know class caps have been ignored and teachers are working until sunset?

It must be so bad over there. I have never, ever heard of a teacher just walking out. That's desperation, right there...teachers are a hardy bunch! :hugs:

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2013

I'm wondering what the vibe is like from parents. Do they seem to have any clue how bad things are?I haven't heard any complaints. The P has- she addressed it with us earlier in the week. We pretty much got in trouble for not doing enough 'hands on' stuff and parents were complaining about it. Well, when it takes you 45 minutes to give simple directions because kids are calling out and talking, how am I supposed to do hands on? They can't even listen to simple worksheet directions! Nor follow them! We are all very frustrated with this. I spend 70-80% of my lesson dealing with discipline. I have one little boy that I love to pieces. He cried earlier in the week because he was frustrated that he couldn't learn. He is the sweetest, most polite, absolutely adorable little boy. I want to send his parents an anonymous letter to tell them to get him out of here. He is parent pick up/drop off. There is a FABULOUS school district 10 minutes down the road. There is another about 15 minutes from their house. Even the district he lives in is way better!! (Around here, most districts are school of choice and the advertise for kids on the TV and radio. Population decline causes it- they need to fill the buildings.)
    Do they seem to understand how much their child is struggling?Our grading system still doesn't work. Plus we have yet to create a grading scale. They're still debating whether we want a 4,3,2,1 or a traditional A,B,C,D,E scale. So all graded papers are being held by me. After a month. But, our P feels that we are getting kids that weren't successful elsewhere and their parents decided to try something different. So, while I have not told them how behind they are, they most likely know.
    Do they know teachers are walking out and the library isn't ready? I assume they know about the library. We weren't even going to HAVE a library. We only have one because another charter in the city lost their charter and closed. Since it was purchased with Title I funding, they had to give it to another school. So we got a free library.
    Do they know class caps have been ignored and teachers are working until sunset?
    Yes about the caps. A letter went home. She said she will level by the end of the month. She is considering splits and wants to avoid moving kids twice, and I get that. However, they need to hire a few of these teachers so we can have help at lease half of the day. I doubt they know (or care) about our hours.

6. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 7, 2013

That school is a disaster.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2013

I'm so glad you are getting out!!!!!

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 7, 2013

So glad to hear you plan to give your notice on Monday. This place is a disaster and you have got to get out.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2013

A few part time offers all at districts over an hour away. I can't afford to commute that far for part time. One was an interventionist for 22 hours a week (paid hourly) and the other was a 2.5 days/week LTS position. I passed on both. I told them that I had a full time LTS, so I had to pass but if anything full time came up I would be interested.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2013

Yet another example of how messed up they are- Last week (and this coming week), I was only responsible for reading and social studies plans as the other unassigned teacher was writing math and science to transition her into the other 3rd grade classroom. Well, Friday they pulled her immediately and moved her to 4th. They moved her room and everything. Had I not heard via gossip from a K teacher, I wouldn't even know. No one has told me that I will no longer have the other teacher or that I am responsible for all of the plans for next week. Had the gossip not reached me, I wouldn't have even known!!

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 8, 2013

Giraffe, in no way do I discredit any of your stories...but this school is so bad it feels like I'm reading articles from The Onion!! :lol::rolleyes::lol: I keep asking myself how any school can be this messed up. Keep on plodding, you're almost done!

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 8, 2013

It's one of those things where you say, "you can't make this *&#@^ up"!!!

13. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Sep 8, 2013

Giraffe, Iv'e been following this thread since the very beginning. I appreciate you sharing your job hunting experiences and the ugly truth about your charter school nightmare of a job. I wish I could be surprised about the conditions in which you have to work, and I wish I could honestly say that your experience is an anamoly, but I can't. I am glad that you are putting this out there because there are many among us who do not believe how bad many charter schools are. I remember I posted some anti charter school comments on another thread and people thought I was being negative or whatever until I went into detail. It's like it wasn't enough to simply believe that I saw some things that really made me question the validity of the new charter school model. :rolleyes: Also, the fact of the matter is that in my area, city public schools are closing and laying off teachers by the hundreds, and suburban districts are not hiring, especially not teachers from the city. That leaves us with unemployed teachers who are mostly working as subs, and teachers who are in charters where they have to take meds just to get through the workweek.
    Anyhow, I am glad you are taking the LTS, and that no one (at least on here that I can recall) told you to stick it out because it will make you a better teacher or any other nonesuch.:love:

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 8, 2013

:agreed:

Same thoughts here. My first year and a half of teaching was almost as bad as what it sounds like you're going through. Only difference was that our students' behaviors weren't quite as awful as what it sounds like your students' behaviors are. The chaos and lack of organization and respect for teachers on the part of the administrators is spot on. Got off those meds one month after getting out of there.

Glad you've been able to keep your chin up and find a way out.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2013

Trust me- if I were this creative, I'd write a book and get rich! :lol:
    Sadly, I'm no where near....

16. itsGrape

itsGrape Rookie

Sep 9, 2013

How did giving notice go? Hopefully you feel relieved.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2013

P was out Monday. Today was our Open House (we had 7 of 170 students show up). I didn't feel today was a good day to do it.

I will hand it in first thing in the morning. I will be out Friday to shadow the teacher I will take over for. I'm offering to continue to work next week.

I went to the sub orientation yesterday. They guy in charge says the neighboring county is really hard up for subs. I was the only person in the room (50-100 people) that had signed up for that district. He says I will most likely be able to work every day. I'll be able to subscribe to 15 districts in my county- they all use AESOP. This is in addition to the neighboring county where they use SubFinder. So I will be in 16 districts' pools. I should be good :) Hopefully I can snag another LTS since they pay way more!!!

18. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Sep 10, 2013

Good luck!

19. itsGrape

itsGrape Rookie

Sep 11, 2013

Great! Hope more good things come your way.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2013

Ironically, my P was in interviews all day. I didn't lay eyes on her. I almost left it for her, but I opted not to. I HAVE to give it to her tomorrow since I will be out on Friday!

I got terrible news on my house today. Plus my kids were the worst yet. It took everything I had to not walk out. I came home crying. I haven't cried yet because I'm not usually a crier, plus I refused to let them get to me. Well, I broke today :(

In other news, I got a rejection for a parapro job today. It was actually pretty funny because it was a form letter, but the HR person (or someone) hand wrote to keep them in mind if they have a teaching position because my resume was very impressive. I hope they keep ME in mind!!

A school 3 miles from my mom put up a 5th grade job. I stalked the other 5th grade teachers' websites. It appears that they are departmentalized and they are missing the science component. Well, that is exactly what I taught. I (obviously) applied and emailed the P, too. So maybe I can get a full time job still....

21. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2013

Hopefully 5th grade science works out!

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2013

You're a better person than I am- I would've left it for the P! Huge hugs. I hope this is over soon.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2013

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2013

Not going to lie- I had planned on it. But then I got the bad news on my house and I didn't even want to walk it to the office. I don't want to blubber- I want it to seem calculated and final. I don't want to go through an attempt to keep me. If I went down crying and she happened to be between interviews, I would have probably broken down and she would think I'd get over it.

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2013

I totally understand. I just want something to go well for you!

26. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Sep 11, 2013

Wowzas!! That's bad. So glad you're getting out & moving on to better things! It sounds like the daily subbing will be steady even without another LTS. That's a plus! :)

27. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Sep 11, 2013

Just saw this. Hope it's yours SOON!

28. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 12, 2013

Hope you were able to catch the P to give your notice today and that it went well.

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2013

:lol:
    FML
    :lol:

Today was the P's birthday. I had NO idea! I was going to hand it in in the AM. I didn't want to ruin her WHOLE day. Well, people found out and spent their lunch organizing a mini party. It was held after school where she went on about how much we all mean to her, blah, blah, blah. I couldn't do it. :blush: I will have a fever tomorrow, and I'm sure it will pi$$ them off. Nothing I can do about it. I will crack up if the teacher goes into labor this weekend. Then I will never go back.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2013

You should email your letter of resignation tonight if you ave no intention of ever returning.as badas your experience has been, your students deserve for the school to have as much notice as possible to hire a good replacement.:2cents:

31. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 12, 2013

I'm sensing that giraffe may not be so committed to subbing and leaving this position---perhaps something innate and undefinable that makes you actually want to stay at this school and improve it.

32. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2013

We have 2 teachers on staff daily that are waiting on their own classrooms. They have not made a decision about split classrooms or full classrooms, so every teacher that is at or over their max has either a parapro or a second teacher in them.

I'm not comfortable emailing my resignation because all of my belongings are there. Thousands and thousands of dollars worth. I have over 1,000 books alone.

33. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2013

Nope. I'm 100%. I just can't believe the mess this has become. I am kicking myself over not doing it yesterday. But the third offer on my house fell through yesterday and I'm looking at having to let it foreclose. I was too upset. I wish I had done it anyway, but I cannot go back.

I just feel like my life is a disaster in every way, and this is just more evidence of it :|

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2013

So when will you be packing up your stuff? I'd be crossing your fingers that the teacher does not go in to labor this weekend. There's no going back in time, but you need to deliver your resignation first thing on Monday. Then start packing.
    I hope things start looking up for you, giraffe.

35. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2013

I have a key and was going to go up on Saturday. I've been doing it slowly. I've taken 2 carloads over to my dad's already (I have an SUV). I probably have 2-3 left. I didn't want it to be obvious. I was actually packing books tonight, but realized that I couldn't wipe them all out. It would look extremely suspicious.

I could be out of the room in 60-90 minutes. Everything is empty (closets, teacher's desk, etc...). The only thing left is visible, which I couldn't really do yet. I went through the student's desks tonight and rounded up all the books. (That were supposed to be in their book boxes, NOT their desks.) I won't have time to inventory things, but oh well.

36. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2013

I've separated and removed anything I may want/need during my LTS. Pens, highlighters, markers, my fancy clipboard, some of my go-to resources, etc...

37. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2013

:hugs:

38. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Sep 13, 2013

Hope to hear some good news soon :)

39. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Sep 13, 2013

So will you be emailing your resignation after you get your stuff out on Saturday???

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2013

After you empty out your classroom completely on Saturday, are you still planning to go in and teach Monday?