Updating....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, May 13, 2013.

1. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

Our handbook says we need a doctors note after 3 days I think. I don´t think it is a bad idea to get one in this situation though.

When I started at my current school, I was contacted by a higher paying public school in the same area - the principal had gotten my resume sent 2 months before and called twice, even gave me his cell phone. They seemed to be in a desperate situation after a sudden resignation. I had just moved to the area, as you did. I really wanted to go on the interview but I would have had to miss a day during my first week of classes with the students at my new school. I decided not to interview and don´t regret this, but have wondered ¨what if¨ - it didn´t seem worth it to me to risk losing the job I already had in my case, which is also a good position. Do what is right for you, and good luck on the interview!

PS - So glad you made it back to MI!

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

My schools have generally allowed for 3 days before asking for a doc's note.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

I've never been asked for one. Although, I had a TA give me one. Even when I had 2 funerals within 6 weeks of each other, both either right before or after a break, I wasn't asked for one. I was prepared though, I asked the respective funeral homes to write one for each of us. I sent it to school with my kids, but my P didn't want it.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

I went with the dentist route. I wanted to get back to school ASAP so I didn't want to wait for a Dr.s appointment as well.
    P asked for a note :tired:
    I went into the dentist, scheduled an appointment for October, and asked if they could look at a tooth citing a dark spot. (Dentist was previously 'watching' the spot) Dentist looked at it and declared my tooth perfectly fine. I got my note and left. Whew!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

As for the interview, it was 1:1 with the P. They have a strong G/T program, and he liked my answers about how I like to push my G/T kiddos and how I think it is sad that they are often forgotten or made to be peer tutors.
    He said I did a good job. Hopefully there isn't a LTS or student teacher interviewing....

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

In regards to the doctor's note I figured the OP should be prepared since it is a brand new charter school that just started...who knows what strange rules they might make up. They decided to start early for no reason. I would have to provide a doctor's note if I called out sick the day before or after a break or after 3 or 4 days. I'd have to check but I've never called out sick so I'm not sure.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2013

Sounds promising, in terms of the interview, and relieving, in terms of the tooth. All good!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

Yay :)

9. smalltowngal

Aug 6, 2013

Crossing my fingers, giraffe!

10. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Aug 10, 2013

How's the new job going, giraffe?

11. AZALE

AZALE Rookie

Aug 11, 2013

Thanks for sending me the link to the thread, Giraffe! Although I'm not currently looking in MI, this does make me a little hopeful for when and if I do decide to go back.

I've never heard of the extended school year thing. In Arizona we always start early Aug and my fam and friends back in Michigan think it's crazy. But apparently it is becoming more common to start early there too.

I want another update! Any word from the latest interview?

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2013

No word from the last interview. Applied for another 4 or so jobs this week. I'm only applying within my county or a bordering county now- I'll have to commute from the parents. I ran out of money and the sale of my house fell through.

New job still sucks. Thursday was the worst day yet. Friday was better. I'm up to 22 kids and the cap is 25, so we should be splitting the class soon. Although they said they may let me go up to as many as 30 for a while until they decide if they want a 2/3 split or just a 3rd grade class. They will put a teacher in to team teach if this does happen, so I guess it will be alright. I'm looking forward to splitting because I have a set of twins that feed off of each other, a pair of cousins that need to be separated, etc... I don't care which kids I get as long as they are separated!!!!
    We finally got access to our math and reading series on Friday, so I'm hoping to build a routine and get more structure. This should help things. We are supposed to have 1:1 laptops, but we don't yet. Until that happens, things are still going to be messy because we didn't get actual textbooks.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2013

Because we are a new school and we need the numbers, we are pretty much letting everything slide, which makes it hard. We are not enforcing uniforms yet. We were flat out told that kids will not be suspended until after count day in October. If I can make it to October, things will (hopefully) get better.

14. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Aug 12, 2013

Wow, that does sound hard. I can't imagine letting things slide like that! I hope that you get to split soon and separate the troublemakers.

That stinks that your house fell through!! Hopefully, it'll sell for real real soon.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2013

I probably missed something along the way, but did you end up moving out of town?

16. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 12, 2013

Wow, that sounds like such a mess! :O I can't understand why the school was so rushed to start when they are still enrolling students and don't even have the proper resources yet! What even?

17. smalltowngal

Aug 12, 2013

:hugs: giraffe

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2013

Hugs!

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 12, 2013

Hoping things smooth down quickly.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2013

Moved from North Carolina to Michigan.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2013

None of us can figure this out. I get that they want to be extended year, but that should have taken place beginning next year IMO. Michigan has a law that schools cannot start before Labor Day, so they had to get a waiver.

I'm still unpacking, but my contract day is 8:00-5:15. I have zero planning/free time in this time frame. I come in early to make copies and I am dead at the end of the day, so I go right home. I'm not getting anywhere.

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2013

Up to 23 kiddos now. Math took 3 hours to get through one lesson. On place value to the thousands place. *sigh*

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2013

It has to get better sweetie :) And the good news is- you are in MI! If things don't get better, then this will be a one year thing and you can start searching again next year. But my fingers and toes are crossed that it gets better and makes you happy!

24. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 12, 2013

I'm so sorry you have to go through all that! And your other post about how it took 3 hours to get through a lesson :eek: Hopefully the school will provide you with more resources ASAP so you can have some sort of structure in your classroom! I'm happy you found a job in your home state but I really hope you can find something else better since you seem like such an awesome teacher. :love: Best of luck to you.

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2013

Thanks guys :)

I am home. Plus I don't have to deal with any more North Carolina teaching condition b.s. Not that my teaching conditions are better, but my salary is better and the cost of living is less.

My hometown put a job up today. They've already hired for the year, so this must be a last minute opening. Normally they know who they are hiring well before interviews happen, so maybe my chances will be increased since it is a last minute position. But, I've also heard they will not hire teachers that have taught out of state. :rolleyes: Not holding my breath!

26. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 13, 2013

Those hours are crazy! I think I'd be irritated with even my sweet kids after over 9 hours of constant time with them. My state mandates that teachers have to get at least 30 minutes of planning each day in addition to 30 minutes of duty-free lunch. I'm not sure if charter schools are somehow exempt though.

27. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Aug 13, 2013

It is hard to believe that those working hours along with no planning is even legal.

28. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 13, 2013

Aw, hugs. That sounds extremely stressful. I also don't understand how they can make you work til 5 p.m. with NO planning? That's just awful. I hope things improve so you can get through it and then hopefully into a better situation.

29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 13, 2013

Go for that opening! We're not done this Updating thread yet.

30. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 13, 2013

I really hope you find something else soon! Working that many hours with no planning is ridiculous!!

31. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 13, 2013

Are the students there from 8 - 5:15?

If not, what does administration require you to do with the downtime?

As far as the math lesson, maybe vary the activities every 15 or 20 minutes. My math lessons go something like this: warm up/do now (10 minutes)'/ fact practice with a partner and 2 minute daily test (10 minutes) mental math and slate work (10 minutes)/ lesson and practice 20 minutes, math game with a partner (10 minutes). We do a math meeting on the rug which includes math "stretches" and they also keep math journals (copybooks in which students write down their mathematical thinking). We do constructed response practice - whole class response at the beginning of the year, gradually releasing responsibility to them to complete the problem.

One thing I have found is that if students become restless or inattentive, I need to switch things up and have them do some movement activities. I keep a list on hand so that I can pull one out when needed - and that is at least twice a day.

32. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2013

Kiddos are 8:30-4:00. But we have to monitor breakfast from 8:00-8:30 and dismissal from 4:00-4:15. We have a daily debriefing meeting from 4:15-5:15 or actually usually 6pm. Eventually, it will be a grade level meeting time, but not yet.
    I have a 30 minute duty free lunch, but they need us to help supervise. I usually help the first 5 minutes and then run.

33. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2013

The biggest problem is that I never have 100% of their attention. Plus I'm teaching with one teacher laptop and a SMARTboard that doesn't work.
    Kids are supposed to have 1:1 laptops, which is why we don't have print adoptions for the textbook.

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2013

"Duty free". How are they making you supervise if you have duty free time?

35. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2013

I have a conundrum. I got called for an interview at a school district about 15-17 minutes from my parents' house. It is only a screening interview. It is Friday from 12:00-1:00. My lunch is from 12:00-12:40. I have to figure out how to go to this interview. The school district is considered the best in the county by some. (Personally, I think my hometown's district is better, but I may be biased. They are definitely the top 2.)
    However, I can't afford to lose the job I have!!!

Uggh!!!!!!!

36. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2013

It is asked of us, but not required. But heavily suggested. The whole thing is a mess. I actually just lied (accidentally)- they just upped the lunch to 12:00-12:40 because they couldn't transition the kids fast enough.

37. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2013

It really sounds like the school you're currently in is fairly toxic. :(

Maybe on Friday you need to catch a bad case of "food poisoning". I don't usually advocate lying, but here it seems to be your best option.

38. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2013

I know. I wish I could find a reason to go to lunch early, but we have Monday off of school. Therefore, I can't think of an urgent reason.

I am prone to migraines and I used to have to take medication daily. My doctor has been my doctor for 26 years, so I know he will write me out. I'm thinking about going to the doctor on Friday and getting a note that will free me up that day and possibly some future dates as well.

I am under an incredible amount of stress, so the migraine is very feasible.

I hate, hate, hate lying. And I've already done it once.

39. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2013

FYI to job seekers- this job was posted on Friday. It closes next Monday, but interviews are this Friday. Get those applications in early, always!!

40. AZALE

AZALE Rookie

Aug 13, 2013

Ha! I was going to ask the same thing about your "duty free" lunch!

I remember reading that you can resign at anytime, but do you think they would terminate your contract if they knew you were still looking?