Updating....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, May 13, 2013.

1. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 29, 2013

That is terrible! Hugs to you.

2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 29, 2013

I'm so glad that's over. Get them for everything you can PLUS make them pay for the inconvenience.

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

That's terrible, giraffe! Hopefully Budget will pay you some of the money that they should!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

I have had this problem with Budget, also. I think they make more money with in-town moves so they pull this stunt when they are low on trucks!

Hopefully, this nightmare is over. (Including the job problems!)

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

Oh no, giraffe! I'm so sorry :( I agree with swansong1...I sure hope this nightmare is over for you!!!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

Yeah. I really wish I had moved before I got it and saved myself part of this headache!!!!

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2013

Unloading didn't go so hot for my dad. I hired the cheapest company (they happened to be the first I called and I was thrilled with the price!), but you get what you pay for for sure!
    Now we only have to unload my school stuff tomorrow afternoon and then it is all over! Thank goodness!

(Now I just have to prep a classroom before Monday :eek:)

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

I'm so sorry that happened, Giraffe. What an ordeal. But happy days are ahead! Have a great new school year!!!!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

So tired of rough days :tired:

We are waiting on enrollment. They've brought in 9 teachers for orientation- 4 officially hired (me) and 5 that were waiting on enrollment. Enrollment has increased enough to need 7 teachers, but they hadn't announced grade levels yet for the teachers-in-waiting. People are anxious since school starts Monday. After lunch, they came in an made grade level announcements. THEY MOVED ME TO FIFTH!! (If you remember, they had me in 5th but I requested a move.) I immediately shut down. After a few minutes, I began searching for jobs again. I was very down. We were in the middle of a training, and when administration left, my colleagues asked me if I was OK. I broke down crying- with my week from h3ll, it was too much. I was very disappointed in how it was handled- in my opinion, I should have been informed prior to the public announcement.

For the rest of the afternoon I tried really hard to become excited. Luckily, I was called into the office at the end of the day to be reassigned back to third grade. Our CMO vetoed the move. He actually helped me unload the UHAUL yesterday and knew I brought stuff for that grade level, and he also knew how rough of a weekend I've had. I'm very, very thankful for him!

10. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

Omg!!! This has been an emotional roller coaster for you! :( I'm so sorry but I'm glad they moved you back to third.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

What is wrong with these people????? Seriously, they should have never had a start date this early if they couldn't get their act together. If it's a charter school can't they dictate their own start date? When they get their head out of there you know where? Sorry, I just feel bad for everyone who was "lucky" enough to get a job there.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

The staff is all very upper grade oriented. There are several people with middle school experience. I am the only person certified in early childhood- yet they want me in a testing grade. I get the testing grade thing- my math and science scores are usually phenomenal. However, of the 9 teachers, 6 of them want upper grades. There are a few that don't feel comfortable teaching lower than 4th. Yet they put me in 5th. It is just frustrating.

Trust me- in a normal situation, I would have handled it much better. It just feels like something new (and big) hits me every single day right now.

I was honestly more upset by how it was done than the fact that it was done. They should have told me no from the get-go when I asked to move grade levels. AND they should have pulled me aside and told me before publicly announcing it.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

You poor thing! So glad that guy is on your side like us. :) Huge hugs...and here's hoping it gets better from here!!

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2013

In Michigan? The short answer is no. We, like all other public schools have to follow the same rules that the state sets. The state law is that school is not to start before Labor Day. My school has an extended school year. We're not considered year round. I don't know if there are any year round schools in the state.

About 1 1/2 years ago, the state decided that our kids could not have more then 6 weeks off. I believe that the state also says we can not go beyond June 30th. So, they basically dictate to us when we can start.

I don't know how that is changing as there is no a traditional public school that is offering an extended year at 3 of their elementaries. The kids start Monday, Aug. 5th I believe.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

We had to get a waiver to begin before Labor Day.

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

This is just too much for one person to handle: the job search, 100s of applications, interviews, finally a job, then all kinds of changes and uncertainties, a long distance move that wasn't working well, and the school still doesn't know what's happening. I don't think I could deal with all that.

I also can't imagine how those teachers feel who don't even know if they will be hired. You said 9 teachers are there, but so far enrollment only needs 7. If that stays the same, 2 teachers will have waited for this job, passed on everything else and it'll be too late to find a job elsewhere.

And I can't imagine for the school just to switch grade levels for teachers. How would these teachers plan? Most of them use the summer to plan their lessons, and obviously it's based on subject and grade. having 2 months go to waste ad start all over... I would end up in a mental hospital.

Giraffe, I really hope everything will go well for you !!

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

They are confident they will hire us all, but they were waiting on enrollment to bring people in. Michigan law has schools starting after Labor Day. We're extended year, so we start on Monday. Parents aren't used to this, so we expect a boom at Labor Day.
    We're capped at 25 kids, so we are less than 5 students from an extra teacher in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades. We will most likely have to hire a tenth teacher.

But, yes, this has been an extremely stressful period of my life. :dizzy:

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

giraffe, are most charter schools in Michigan extended year? I have never heard of "extended years"... do schools do it to get a higher student enrollment?

19. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

Wow! What a crazy weekend! I'm glad you got it worked out so you stay in 3rd! I can't wait to hear about the first day and what it brings for you! Hope everything goes smoothly!

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

Why did they want to begin before labor day when they didn't even have teachers? I'm just so frustrated for you and I'm not even the one in your school!

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

So where are you at in this process, then? If I am remembering correctly from another thread, you have been actively looking into other jobs as well, right?

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

I don't know of any other extended year schools. kpa's is as well, but she's over an hour away from me.
    Some public schools are year-round, which is completely different because they have intersessions.

As for why extended year, I'm sure they did it to hopefully boost test scores. I think they should have started after Labor Day this year, and went to an August start date next year.

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

We have teachers. We need more students. I have no idea why they are starting this early. We were getting inspections still today (health department and who knows who else).
    Our enrollment is increasing daily. We will be fine and they did go ahead and hire the rest of the teachers today. They just don't know exact grade level yet. We will most likely have to hire a tenth, and maybe even an eleventh by the time Labor Day gets here.

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

I 100% have a job. I got called for a second interview today, but they can only do Monday or Tuesday morning. Monday is our first day. I went ahead and scheduled it for Tuesday morning, but I'm still thinking about it. I really want the new job (public, $20K more, etc...) but I have no idea how to go to the interview without messing up the job I do have.
    I've emailed my old P for advice. I just don't know what to do.

25. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 1, 2013

I am not generally one to suggest continued searching, but your charter school position does seen to have more than a few unique aspects. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

26. live

live Companion

Aug 1, 2013

There are some extended year schools on the west side of the state too. I can get on board with what some are trying to achieve (preventing summer loss), but to be honest was slightly relieved when I didn't get hired by the one I interviewed with.

I've been following your story and I'm sorry you've been having such a stressful time. Hopefully things start easing up.

27. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

My P told me to go for the new job. Uggh. I hate lying.

The *only* thing that could help me pull this off is we still have 2 teachers unassigned. I am at the cap in 3rd, so one more student and the one unassigned teachers will get students. In the meantime, she is supposed to team-teach with me. So my class will be covered. The interview is an hour away, so if the interview lasts an hour, I will be two and a half hours late to school (school begins at 8:30 and interview is at 9:00). I would be back before lunch.

Tooth pain? I'm thinking about going with that route. I would like to blame it on my house situation, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm a terrible liar.

28. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

Ahh, I'm a terrible liar too!!

You seem like an awesome, passionate teacher and I wish you the best :)

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

Don't consider it lying...consider it a 'mental health day'...call in sick.

30. ayla

ayla Companion

Aug 4, 2013

In high school, I learned that it was always easier to excuse a whole day off than a half day. I would also consider that. You also just moved, and need to find a whole new set of doctors. Consider making an appointment with one in the afternoon.

31. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

I moved back to my hometown, so I have a doctor, dentist, eye doctor, etc... I actually never got new ones in NC- I just went to a clinic when necessary.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

giraffe~ I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this new position.

33. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 4, 2013

I agree. It is not a lie if you schedule an appointment. With all the unknowns about your current situation, I would also encourage you to go for it.

34. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 4, 2013

Hmm, with it being so early in the year, maybe I would probably just call in sick with a temporary illness such as food poisioning. Good luck at your interview!

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 4, 2013

I would make an appt. in case they ask for a Dr. note.

36. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 4, 2013

Your honesty is a gift. Thanks for continuing to keep us in the loop.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

Just curious, do the schools of members here ask for dr notes when someone calls in sick? I can understand of there are excessive absences, but what if someone alls in with a migraine or something similar? Not every 'ailment' or sick call warrants a doctors visit.

38. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

I never needed a note at my old school.

39. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

We have to have one if we are out 5 days or more consecutively, but we can be asked for one at any time.

40. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

I could be asked for one if I'm out the day before or after a long weekend, the day before or after a holiday break, or after (I think) an absence of more than 3 consecutive days.