updating resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bella84, Dec 8, 2014.

1. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 8, 2014

With my decision not to return to my current school next year recently firmed up, I'm now ready to begin the job search for June 2014 and beyond!

I'm working on my teaching resume*, and I have a quick question. I've been at the same school now for about 3 years, but I've held two different positions. Should I list both positions together under the heading of the school? Or, should I list each position separately, obviously including the name of the school under each position but not making it immediately obvious that both were at the same school? The bullet points for each position may differ slightly but probably not in any significant manner. I could easily phrase them so as to make them work for both positions (second grade and sped resource).

Thanks for the advice!

* I will have other types of resumes, too, as I'm not set on staying in teaching. I'm moving to another city in another state, and my goal is strictly to find sustainable employment in that city, not necessarily find a teaching job.

3. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 8, 2014

I would list them under the same heading.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 8, 2014

Thanks, AdamnJakesMommy!

Another question....

If I am currently in my fifth year teaching, do I still need to include my student teaching on my resume? If so, does it need bullet points, or does it just need to be listed? If I can only fit one or the other on a one-page resume, should I include professional development that I've both led and attended or student teaching experiences?

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 8, 2014

I think it all depends on how much experience you that you can put down. If you have been teaching for many years, and at several school, you can leave off student teaching. If you have been working at one school for 5 years, then I'd add student teaching to fill up the space.

Your 2 positions at your current school: I would list them under one heading, but give details of each position. Second grade and spec. ed are 2 very different things, and this will make you more marketable (which I'm sure you know) :)

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 8, 2014

Thanks, Linguist!

I have had three positions at two different schools. So, I am thinking I will take the advice I've been given. :) I will list the two positions at the same school under one heading - but with different bullet points for each position, and I will list the position at the other school separately.

I'm thinking that, with these three positions over five years, I could probably get away without listing student teaching, complete with bullet points. However, I do have enough room that I could include the student teaching with or without bullet points, but then I'd have to take off the PD section (both workshops I've taught and attended), which is more recent than student teaching. So, I guess I'm just wondering which would work more to my advantage, keeping in mind that I will be listing three different positions at two different schools regardless. Any thoughts?

This has been very helpful advice so far. Thanks guys!

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 8, 2014

I think attending, and especially teaching workshops are more important than student teaching. Everyone knows that a teacher has student taught, we only include it because we have nothing else (for example when I was first starting out I included student teaching, subbing and a long term subs job, because that's all I had).
    The only reason I would include it in your case if the grade level was important. For example you may have been teaching lower grades for a few years, but your student teaching was in 5th grade, and right now you're going for a 4th or 5th grade position. Then, it could help, otherwise I'd leave it off.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 8, 2014

Thanks again, Linguist! Very helpful!

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 8, 2014

I think you could leave off student teaching. The PD is more relevant, and I don't think student teaching is as important once you have actual teaching experience.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 8, 2014

I think I would list student teaching very briefly, perhaps noted as a bullet in your degree information, UNLESS there was something specific that needed to be brought up about it. Maybe some special training, or a certain grade level, or something that stands out. Otherwise, as someone noted, everyone student teaches.