updating resume after staying home with kids

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jclaiborn, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jclaiborn

jclaiborn Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

I am trying to update my resume for a teaching job. I"ve been a stay at home mom now for 3 years and I'm having trouble with wording that on the resume. I don't want to just leave a hole in there. This resume is going to the superintendent of a small school that is very familiar with my family. I have taught there previously, its where my husband graduated from, and where I know lots of people. So, I know it will not be a problem that I have been home with my girls! I just don't know how to word it. Should I just leave it off the resume and include it in the cover letter? Any ideas?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

You could always leave the hole in your resume, and make a mention of it in your cover letter. It could be something along the lines of "The last three years home with my own kids have given me an increased appreciation of the effect a teacher has on her students" or something of that nature.

4. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Jul 14, 2012

I left a hole. 10 years' worth!

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 14, 2012

I'd leave a hole in your resume and address it in your cover letter. Anyone in their right mind wouldn't fault you for staying home - and if they do, you don't want to work for them anyway!

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2012

I agree. I would mention it in the cover-letter. Good luck with your search.

7. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jul 15, 2012

I've put it in my resume and my cover-letters. I don't think it's good if there's a hole in your resume. Looks better and makes you seem more honest if you have it all there, in my opinion.
    I write that being at home with my children has made me even better at multi tasking, understand better the impotance of good home - school communication, become more efficient, learnt new tsrategies for handling stressful or unexpected situations .. There are tons of positives. Bring it all out! ;)