Updating Cover Letter

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cymru3, Mar 13, 2016.

1. cymru3

cymru3 Rookie

Mar 13, 2016

I currently work as a long-term sub, teaching AP and honors seniors. I have been told that some jobs might be coming up in the district, both at the high school and one of the middle schools. I love the district and want to have my application ready to go at a moment's notice, so would love some advice on my cover letter. This is my 'generic' cover letter which I alter a little depending on what each job ad is asking/looking for.

I would love some advice on the following:
    • My main issue is making it sound different enough to the original letter that they would have read when I applied for this current job. How different should it be, do you think?
    • The last time I posted on here many people felt that it was too long, although as I originally taught in the UK where the standard is 2 full pages I really struggled to cut it down.
    • I am also unsure about where to add in my current job...I quite like the paragraph where I describe my successes as it shows a variety of ages/abilities. Where can seniors AP and honors fit in, in your opinion?
    • Would also like advice on how to add a sentence or two about 'wanting the job because I currently work in and love the district', without sounding like I'm sucking up!
    There's also a link to a screenshot of my resume. It actually fits neatly onto one page, not sure why it shows up on 2-3 pages on the full-page view I used in the screenshot.
    Is it formatted correctly for US standards? Is there anything I've left out? Anything I should cut? I'm considering cutting the student teaching para...I mean everyone knows what that entails.
    http://imgur.com/LJiEEIt

------------------------------------------------------------------​

Dear ***,
    Please accept this application as an expression of interest in your High School English teaching position. I am a fully certified Grades 5-12 English teacher who trained and taught in the UK, and I now live and teach in MA permanently with full authorization to work without sponsorship. I would relish the chance to work at *****, as I feel that your ethos mirrors my own: integrity, accountability and responsibility, communication, respect and teamwork.

As an English teacher who has taught Grades 6-12, I have been responsible for planning and teaching lessons, setting and marking assessments, and recording and using data to inform my own teaching. My successes include implementing a literacy and reading program for Grade 9 students, linked to the Common Core equivalent. This increased their independence and fluency, and boosted the majority of those involved up by a full grade in English. I have also succeeded in teaching a number of honors classes, one of whom was a Grade 8 class. By the end of the school year, all students had progressed by at least one grade level, and I led them in completing Grade 9 and 10-level assignments to constantly challenge and expand their high abilities. In addition, I taught a class of Grade 10 boys with language-based learning difficulties at ******* School. I was told that they were not expected to pass English as they were very low ability. Through the course of the school year, I was able to get two of the students in the class on an IEP to get them the extra support that they needed, and every student in that class achieved an English qualification. Working with such a variety of students of all abilities has honed a number of skills; especially behavior management and flexibility.

I have particular qualities that I believe can make a difference to your school. I maintain that a lesson is only successful if every student has learned something, so getting to know each student to allow for differentiation by both task and outcome is the key to every lesson that I teach. I have worked closely with students with a variety of special educational needs. In particular, I have worked with students with language-based learning difficulties in my most recent role at ********* High. Being a positive role-model and encouraging a safe and warm atmosphere conducive to learning has been my core aim throughout my experience in education, alongside the high standards I set for both myself and the behavior and attainment of my students. Colleagues have often commended my commitment to my students, my passion for my subject and my ability to build a rapport and trust with my classes.

My lessons are always planned in advance, which ensures that my resources are of a high standard and that all pupils are suitably challenged. I use my in-depth knowledge of technology to enhance my resources and I enjoy using a variety of interactive PowerPoints and online quizzes to engage all pupils. I use varied ‘assessment for learning’ methods to enhance student understanding. Of course, teacher assessment must run alongside, to which end I always ensure that student work is marked regularly to provide continuous feedback to students. I celebrate diversity through my lessons, selecting a wide range of literature and resources in order to engage students and to broaden knowledge of our world. As my resume will attest, my academic background demonstrates that I am committed to my own learning and improvement as an educator.

I am enthused about the possibility of becoming a part of your school, and would welcome an interview to expand on these ideas. I hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  3. cymru3

cymru3 Rookie

Mar 21, 2016

I've been told that a position will be posting this week and I'd REALLY appreciate some advice on any aspect of the above.

Thanks in advance!

4. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Mar 21, 2016

I think that your letter is well-written and includes aspects of your qualifications that wouldn't appear on a job application. I would write a description of your current position with seniors and AP in a separate paragraph and place it after the paragraph that begins with "As an English teacher who has taught..." I don't think that it is necessary to add anything else about how you currently work in this district and believe that this job is the right fit for you. I wouldn't recommend it because you already stated in the first paragraph an example of how your own values are same to those of the district's. Best of luck to you!

5. cymru3

cymru3 Rookie

Mar 21, 2016

Thank you very much! They posted the job not long after I bumped this thread...fingers crossed!

6. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Mar 22, 2016

I'm sure others will agree - but it seems VERY long.