Updated my website - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by katenar, Jun 13, 2007.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 13, 2007

Hi Everyone ~

I've spent the past week updating my new website and wanted to get your input and share it with everyone. You can view it at www.msjensenclass.com

(You may remember my old site - it had a safari theme and was at www.kyrene.org/staff/kjensen - but I no longer work for that district so I had to change my web address)

I've also added some new things in the Teacher Resources section - perhaps there is something in there you can use. Also, if you have any great ideas or forms you'd like to share let me know. I'll be happy to post them and give the credit to you. The more we share with each other the better off we'll all be (instead of always trying to re-create the wheel :p )

Thanks.

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 13, 2007

It looks great!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 13, 2007

I love your site!!! Great job. I love the cute theme, the water background. I'm impressed with your reading section. Thanks for sharing.

5. ladybuglady

ladybuglady Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

I love your website. Great job.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 13, 2007

Love the site! I'm a former web designer, and I think it is great! One thing you might add, though is an email link so people can contact you. You could get a free email address at gmail.com or hotmail (hate the spam) or yahoo (again, spam), etc.

7. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 13, 2007

Super cute graphics! The only thing I found was that it took a while to load....could have just been my computer, but I wanted to let you know. I love it, though! :)

8. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

Katie, congratulations on your move and your new, awesome-as-ever website!! Thanks for updating us with your new address and all!! Visited your 5th grade site many times last year and borrowed many of your fantastic ideas! Thank you, again, and the very best in your new grade, in your new school, in your new state!!! :angel:

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 13, 2007

Amazing job! I love the pirate theme!!

10. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

Thanks everyone!! I'm really happy you like it. :D :D :D

11. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

Loved the design... and the music was a hit with my girls (2 & 4). :) Great job!!

One thing I noticed is that there are references to both grade 4 & 5 throughout the webpage.

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2007

I had to add it to my favorites so I could go back and explore it some more! Awesome job! I liked the templates you provided for the classroom games!

13. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Jun 14, 2007

It's wonderful! Tell me about homeworkopoly and how you made the board. I used it this year (I printed it off the site) and it is HUGE. Yours looks a bit smaller. How did you make it? What do you use for the students pieces to go around the board? Thanks!

14. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

It looks really great and easy to navigate!

15. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

That would be because last year I taught 5th grade and this year I'm teaching 4th :eek:

Do you remember where you saw the 5th grade things? I must have missed it. I'll have to look it over again - I thought I found all of them. Guess not. :p

Thank you for letting me know and your kind commments!!! :D

16. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

I don't know why I orginally didn't add this to my teacher resource page. I get asked about my Homeworkopoly a lot. So I corrected the problem and Homeworkopoly has it's own page. You can click on it at http://msjensenclass.com/Teacher_Resources/Teacher_Resources.htm

Thank you!!!

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2007

Love your site! Very cute.
    Just so you know your link to www.homeworkopoly.com is wrong.

Otherwise, great job!

I have gone back and forth as to whether I'll use homeworkopoly too. I don't have a magnetic board in my new room, but I came up with an idea. If you don't have one too, then each kid get a tack and tack their piece around the outside of homeworkopoly. That way, the game board itself doesn't get ruined with all the holes. I'm just worried about time. I think Friday would be a good day. If they turned all homework in, then they get to play the game. You know, I think I will do it. I like your game board. Did you make it yourself?

18. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

Thank you for letting me know. I went ahead and updated it.

Yes - I did make the board myself. I used a couple pieces of posterboard - so really it's two pieces for easy storage or I can use it in the corner of the room if needed. :) Good idea about the tacks - I think this year since I'm going to a new school I won't have all the room I did last year. It will be an adjustment but ideas like that will help me utilize all the space. :p :thanks:

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2007

20. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

I love your theme! Everything is well organized and easy to navigate! Great job!

21. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jun 14, 2007

Your site is toooooo cute. I love it!!! You have motivated me to do one. Keep up the great work. I see you're from IL, so am I,

22. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2007

Thank you for sharing your website- I have been thinking about doing Homeworkopoly, but have struggled with actually making it. I have worried that the prizes would be lame for my kids.

I love the snack idea- thinking about getting a see through jar to store gummy snacks and such. My kids love those, and that would be a simple/cheap prize to keep track of.

I have a question though, what prizes do you give with the lunch box/backpack cards? Do you use ones similar to the ones from the homeworkopoly website?

23. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 15, 2007

Yes - I do use some of the ones from the Homeworkopoly site - but I also have the kids make up some of the prizes. I tell them they can't cost money and they brainstorm some ideas. It's funny to see what they come up with - plus that way they can't complain about the prizes.

One of their prizes was 20 minutes of quiet free time for the class. We put three cards in there that said that and each time it was pulled we put a check up on the board - when they got all three checks we planned their class free time. It was a motivator for everyone because the more kids that played the better their chances of getting that prize. When it came time to do the free time, I would put out some educational games and such. Some kids would quietly read and others would whisper play games. It worked out nice and the kids enjoyed it.

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2007

I love your checkmark idea! Are there any other great prizes that you've come up with for your backpack/lunchbox cards? I would love to hear them. Thanks!

25. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 16, 2007

I'll have to go back and look at the prizes - there at school. I'll let you know when I do. But I can't take credit for those ideas - they were the kids. When you give them the guidelines and they get to brainstorm they come up with some great ideas. Plus I think they were more motivated because they were prizes they created so obviously something they would want.

26. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 16, 2007

Also, I am now part of the Golden Apple Top Sites - if any of you did enjoy my website, would you please be so kind as to go back the homepage and scrolldown and click on "Vote for us at the Golden Apple"? It will take you to another page and you click the voting button. You'll also get a chance to see some more wonderful web pages created by other teachers. Who knows what other type of ideas you'll find that you can use? Thank you!! www.msjensenclass.com

27. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jun 16, 2007

Cute site!! You worked hard and it shows. Just to let you know, I found a referral to a fifth grade packet under Teacher Created Forms.

28. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 16, 2007

Your website is awesome.

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

I just voted for your site. I have gotten so many wonderful ideas from you. Thanks!!

30. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 2, 2007

Kate, your site rocks my socks! :) I am so grateful you told me about it and asked to be linked in my classrooms list. You're very inspirational and seem to have many incredible ideas.

31. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

I like the site.

??? What's the difference between Silent Write and Quiet Write????

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

I'm curious about this too!

33. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

Silent write is when it's completely quiet in the room (unless we are playing some soft classical music to help stimulate the mind otherwise it's SILENT). The student's aren't talking just writing - typically focusing on how to use the mini-lesson I just presented into their writing. Quiet write is when students can engage in peer conferencing if they are at that point or just need some feedback. This is also when I do conferencing with the students.

34. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

Thanks 4 the claification.

35. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

Ah. That makes sense.... I'm in the middle of reading a writers workshop book so I'm still learning how to use it in upper grades. Thanks for explaining this!

36. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

A couple MUST have Writer's Workshop books are:

Craft Lessons - This books has actual mini-lessons you can use. I don't know what I would do without it!! http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Lessons...4479935?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183434058&sr=8-2

Notebook Know How - Not by Ralph Fletcher (he just did the forward) but a great book!!
    http://www.amazon.com/Notebook-Know...663495-4479935?ie=UTF8&qid=1183434129&sr=8-12

Live Writing - Written for students but I've come across some great ideas
    http://www.amazon.com/Live-Writing-...663495-4479935?ie=UTF8&qid=1183434129&sr=8-12

How Writer's Work - Again for students but a great book
    http://www.amazon.com/How-Writers-W...663495-4479935?ie=UTF8&qid=1183434129&sr=8-12

Non-Fiction Craft Lessons - Great mini lesson ideas
    http://www.amazon.com/Nonfiction-Cr...663495-4479935?ie=UTF8&qid=1183434129&sr=8-12

And my all time favorite is Teaching the Qualities of Writing - This is WELL worth the money!!!
    http://www.ralphfletcher.com/curriculum.html