UPDATED: Ideas about my 1day trip to WaltDisneyWorld

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, May 2, 2011.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

May 2, 2011

UPDATING MY WDW POSTING:

BTW - I still need ideas about my Univeral Studios day.

First answering the various questions:

-Yes, my pass is without expiration. Here is something…The passes DO say non-transferable…but I have a person’s pass who passed away since our trip 10 years ago. Do you think they would give me a discount on it for another pass?
    -Likes/dislikes…the only real dislike I have is rollercoasters with MAJOR drops. I prefer inside action rides better…and will ride a coaster if it’s REALLY worth it.
    -Shopping is great, but I will go to Downtown Disney (or is it market place) one night when I am not spending a expensive pass.

Alice..thank you for the touring plans site. It looks really interesting. I don’t have phone with apps on it…sheeesh, I don’t have ANY modern technology. (That DOES though look like a OUTSTANDING feature). Is it worth it without the lines app?

Question: Years ago, the Crystal Palace at the MK was a smorgasborg with this puffed French Toast with Sugar/Cinnamon. It was INCREDIBLE! NOW, I see that Crystal Palace is a expensive “see the characters” place. Does anyone know where I could get that French Toast on the property? I see they have A French toast at Riverside. My plan MIGHT be to go to breakfast VERY early at Riverside (parking in guest parking) and then sneaking onto WDW transportation to the first park.

Next Question: I have either a Saturday (THIS Saturday) or a Sunday. Which might you suggest? The other will be spent at Universal.

Here are the things I want to see at WDW (again – I am going for the new things I haven’t seen before – having only one day. Other than new things, I might fill in the time with old favorites of mine… but the old favorites take a backseat to getting around to other parks to hit THEIR new attractions). Of course I think I will catch a few more things…but only if I can. Would sure like Feedback if these are worth the look or not. Any suggestion of the order of hitting them?

MK
    Mickey’s PhilharMagic
    Monster’s inc. LaughFloor
    Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
    Extra: Hall of Presidents….Splash Mountain

DHS
    Toy Story Midway Mania
    Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream

EPCOT
    (They have a flower festival-which would be nice to see)
    Soarin’
    Turtle talk with Crush
    Extras: Walking around the Nations..Illuminations
    Dinner to go: Beirgarten or Rose & Crown Pub (Such a fan of traditional Bangers and Mash)

What does anyone think?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 2, 2011

I was just in FL over Christmas and we did three days at Universal on top of Disney. The Harry Potter land is at Universal Islands of Adventure. That was, of course, my favorite land so we spent most of our time there. I also enjoyed the comic book land and Spiderman ride there.

The other park is the original Universal Studios and has the Jaws ride which is fun. If you like Christopher Walken, the disaster ride is a must. I thought the Simpsons ride was also excellent. The Shrek show is a take it or leave it, depending on your enthusiasm for the movie.

If you can use your ticket for both parks, you can bounce between them fairy easily in a day, but make sure to RUN to the Harry Potter park first-it fills up to capacity and then you have to wait just to get into the area, let alone ride the rides.

If you can only go to one park with the ticket and you are a HP fan, go to the Islands-there is enough there to keep you busy. If you don't care about HP, go to the original-it's less crowded and the rides are kind of classic.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 3, 2011

McKenna, you're looking for Tonga Toast: Tonga Toast - Banana-stuffed sourdough bread, rolled in cinnamon sugar with your choice of ham, bacon or sausage. - $10.99

You can get it at the Polynesian-- probably at Captain Cooks, definitely at the Kona Cafe there.

The cool thing about touringplans.com is that they have a database of a zillion different touring plans. You can follow them to the letter or not, but they give you a great idea of how to minimize your wait times.

A cheaper way to go would be to hit the library and pick up their companion book, The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. A bunch of the touring plans are in the back; that should pretty much get you through. They also have a section on Universal, though I don't know whether or not they have touring plans.

As to the ticket: my gut tells me that you can only use one that YOU bought. I know that with current tickets, they do a finger scan. But, hey, give it a shot!

The 2 toughest things on your Disney list are Soarin' and Toy Story Mania. My personal favorite of the 2 is Soarin'-- make sure you get to see it!!! If you miss Toy Story, it's a better version of Buzz Lightyear in the Magic Kingdom. So if you want to spend less time traveling, you could skip DHS and spend part of your day at Epcot, and the rest at the MK.

I've never been to either of those 2 restaurants; both are on my "go to" list for our next trip. My sister adores Rose and Crown.

According to touringplans, this Saturday is a better day to visit Epcot, and Sunday is the better day for Magic Kingdom. Since you're planning to do both, chose the day for the location where you're more concerned about crowds.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 3, 2011

I'll second Soarin'! On Alice's recommendation, I braved the line and the multiple signs warning that if you are afraid of heights--which I am--you may not want to go on the ride. I'm so glad that I did--it was, without a doubt, one of the highlights of our trip!

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 3, 2011

Universal: You must ride ET. No questions. It's adorable. Jaws is fun; The Mummy roller coaster is fun (no huge drops; no lifts - it's a spiral coaster); Twister is ok; Men in Black is ok; Shrek was cute; Simpson's is not really worth the wait. I saw the make-up show a LONG time ago... I remember it being interesting.

Islands of Adventure: You probably won't like The Hulk, but it's my favorite roller coaster (launched lift; huge drop; cobra rolls... but oh, so worth it). Jurassic Park is good; Dueling Dragons - another roller coaster - is now part of Harry Potter. The log-fume is great if it's unbearable hot outside. This park is very small and very much geared towards younger kids; you can do it in a couple of hours. Seussland is definitely worth the walk-through.

You can't bring a bag on any of the rides, but there are lockers throughout the entire park. I'm pretty sure they're free.

If you plan of riding anyone of the water rides, please - wear sandals and not sneakers. You'll be miserable.

It's also miserably HOT down here, and don't forget your suntan lotion!

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 3, 2011

We waited THREE HOURS for this ride when we were there for Disney. They were out of Fast Passes and everyone said we HAD to do it, so we waited. And waited. Little did we know it was a ride over CALIFORNIA! Basically I saw my morning commute into the city over the Golden Gate Bridge and we followed our weekend commute down CA-1 to Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel.

Fun, yes. Worth three hours for us? Uh... jury's still out. :haha:

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 3, 2011

We were lucky...about a 55 minute wait. Don't you wish you could "soar" during your commute?

9. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

May 3, 2011

I'm not sure which rides have it and which don't, but, if you can get a fast pass for any of the rides you want to go on, I highly recommend doing so! Just put your ticket in, get a pass that tells you the time to come back and you're wait will be a lot shorter than if you just went on the normal line.

My Dad and I did this in the Magic Kingdom when we went in November. The wait time for Splash Mountain was 2 1/2 hours, the fast pass time was literally 5 minutes (my Mom was confused when we came back so quickly!!)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 3, 2011

Here's the info on Fastpass:
    http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/fastpass.htm

And here's some of the advice I gave to a few of our Seniors, who leave for Disney on Thursday:

For what it's worth, here's my suggestions
    Magic Kingdom: Get a fastpass to Space Mountain then go right away to Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain. Go back and use that Space MOuntain fastpass.

Epcot: Pick up a fastpass to Test Track on your way to Soarin',

Hollywood Studios: Follow the crowd to Toy Story Mania.Then hit Rock n Roller Coaster.

Animal Kingdom: Pick up a faspass to Expedition Everest, then go to Kali River Rapids.

On our last trip there, I was waiting for the park to open. (My husband had the 3 kids; I was the fastpass runner who was going to meet them at Thunder Mountain after I got the Peter Pan FP's.) I was chatting with the woman next to me, and her 12 year old son. She asked me what time the shows started.

"Shows??" I asked.

"Yes, do they have shows or anything here?"

"So I turned to her son and asked what kind of rides he liked. He said he loved roller coasters. So I directed him towards Thunder Mountain (Space Mountain was being rehabbed that summer) and directed him to Splash Mountain next.I told him not to miss Pirates of the Carribean or the Haunted Mansion. He sounded real excited and she was relieved.

I don't think anyone needs a psycho-plan, but I do think you want to maximize the time in the park. People who just wing it totally tend to spend lots of time on line instead of seeing what's there.