Update

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by smalltowngal, May 20, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 20, 2008

I just wanted to let everyone who wished me luck on my interview for the 8th grade ELA position that I thank you and really appreicate the thoughts and prayers. I found out, via their website, that I did not get the position. I'm fine with that b/c I didn't think I would be 100% comfortable teaching that grade. I'm hoping that as the school year comes to a close, more postings for 4th, 5th, or 6th grade positions will appear.

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 20, 2008

Well I hope not getting this job will be a blessing and I hope God brings you a wonderful opportunity soon. Btw, happy birthday :)

4. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 20, 2008

I think something better will come along for you -- just has to be at the right time.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

Hopefully you will get a position that is better for you. More jobs should be posting soon, good luck!

6. nycpeach

nycpeach Rookie

May 20, 2008

Sorry to hear that! What is meant for you will be for you when the time is right. I know you keep asking yourself, "When is time right?!" Also, I wished you a happy bday on another post. But HAPPY BIRTHDAY! again.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2008

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get this position, but I'm sure it's for the best. A better, more suitable position will surely open up soon!

:)

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 20, 2008

Agh, I was hoping for a different Update, but you seem to know this is for the best... I'm still rootin' for ya!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 20, 2008

Every interview that does not land you the job is great practice for the all-important interview that does. Keep that amazing attitude you have and enjoy your special day. What a shame we can't have a virtual cake for you!

10. smalltowngal

May 20, 2008

^^ Well, I definitely learned a lot. And have already made changes and filed some stuff in my brain for the next interview.

11. Sheree

Sheree Companion

May 20, 2008

Stg,
    First of all, Happy Birthday! Sorry, to hear that you didn't get the job. One school's lost is another school's gain!:hugs:

12. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

May 20, 2008

There is a place meant for you. You'll get there.
    I always tried to remind myself to rejoice for every "no" as it meant I was then just one more step towards where I was meant to be.

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

Happy Birthday!

Well smalltown...I don't have cake, but I can break out in a song from Westside Story..

There's a place for us
    Somewhere, there's a place for us
    Close your eyes, and were almost there
    Take my hand..and I'll take you there

Somewhere...
    Somehow..

We'll find a new way of living
    We'll find a way of forgiving

somewhere...

Happy Birthday Pal :partyhat::partyhat::partyhat:

14. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

May 20, 2008

What a wonderful attitude you seem to have. I'm sorry that this position wasn't for you. Best of luck in your job hunt. Do you have any other interviews lined up?

Happy birthday!

15. smalltowngal

May 20, 2008

No more interviews lined up, but there might be a position posting in a district I tutored in this year.

16. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

May 20, 2008

Happy Birthday stg!!

I'm sure you'll get that dream job soon. You are so good with all of the interview questions.

Good luck!

17. Calliope

Calliope Companion

May 20, 2008

Sorry you're still on the search, but I feel really positive that you are going to find something. Good luck.

18. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

May 21, 2008

STG,

Again, we are in the same boat...I didn't get the job that I interviewed for on the same day as you either. I knew in my heart it wasn't the right place for me, but I just wanted a job sooo bad that I was willing to tell myself it was a good fit. It was my very first interview, and it was good practice for me. It's hard to keep your head up..I'm having a hard time doing just that. It's easier said that done. I know it was only one interview (for me), but I haven't been called for any other interviews....it has left me asking how long do I hold out hope before figuring out something else to do with my life. It's very painful to watch postings go up and come down knowing that in my heart I KNOW I would make a great teacher. If only someone would give me a chance. Hopefully as the summer progresses things will work out for both of us.

19. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

May 21, 2008

I am glad that yoiu're comfortable not getting the job. I think that every interview was good for me, although, I despised each and every one of them. It seemed like after each and every interview I always thought to myself...I should have said....I should not have said...Best wishes in your continued search.

20. smalltowngal

May 21, 2008

wannateachtx-I understand. You see a job posted, and even though deep down you know it wouldn't be a good fit, you pysch yourself up thinking it is prefect for you b/c you want to know early that you have a job so you can plan for it and not have the stress of job searching throughout the summer. As many people have said, all the rejection interviews better prepare you for the right interview that lands you a job. Good luck! I haven't had any more interviews either, but the closer school is to letting out, the more interviewing time prinicpals will have.

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 21, 2008

not always what it seems

for the first time, I am really starting to analyze job postings and job descriptions, much like I do my college course syallbus. When my current instructor told us, 'he didn't write it, and lot of this is garbage, and scratch out this and that'...that made me wonder a lot!!

I truly believe most of those job postings are full of fluff too. Jobs must be posted for x amount of days, just to make the school board happy. And HR/personnel has to get paid to something. At one point, I wanted to work there. First to know, last to go! But changed majors...anyway...I digress. I personally experienced a fake job being created, posted, poor-unknowning candidates called, and a whispered phone call to me, (put down Ms. Smith for 10:00) and everyone knew Ms. Smith automatically had the job. But protocol had to be followed. It sucks.

The point is, many times, we can read between the lines, and I am very disgusted when I see, "other duties as assigned or necessary", because that is a catchall phrase to make you stay until 7pm, or who knows what else. Some people are a bit more dedicated, but I think we are human first, teachers second, and have a right to be treated as such.

my :2cents: