Update: verbal agreement?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacherella, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

I got the formal job offer today from my first choice school and I'll get the contract on Thurs/Friday so I'm really excited! I'm not turning down the other offer until I sign my contract. Cross your fingers that it all works out!! :)

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

If school #2 finds out that you verbally agreed to school #1, most schools would retract their offer. If it is the same district, you need to let school #2 know that you already accepted a job at school #1. If it is a different district, I would call the P immediately (after you have the YES from school #2) and tell him/her that you are so appreciative of being offered the position but you are going to have to respectfully decline. If he asks why... I would say that you have been offered a position from another district that is closer to home that offers better pay. I would say that because of financial obligations, you feel that you need to accept the position but, you are so grateful to have had the offer from school #1. ALL THE BEST! Make sure that this is what you want... you are probably burning a bridge with that district by doing this.

4. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

Being legally bound is not something that is school specific. It is most likely state specific. I would contact your state DOE.

5. Jobsearching101

Jobsearching101 Companion

Aug 11, 2009

My husband was verbally offered a job in NC and declined since I was having such a hard time finding work there. They understood and told him to contact them next year if things looked better for me.

6. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

did you tell the other school you were waiting to make a desicion or just told them yes and will now tell them you cant? im just wondering because i might have to do the same.

7. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

I said yes over the phone, but that was before I had another job offer. I didn't sign a contract so I can back out, but it still makes it difficult because the staff is so nice and welcoming. I keep on telling myself that someone out there is waiting for a job and they'll be very happy to get this one.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

You have to do what is best for you. I am glad they were nice teachers. And yes, there will be a very happy teacher out there. AS SOON AS you sign on the dotted line, post here where your previous school was located. Maybe one of your A to Z buds will get a break!:)

9. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

thats how i feel. i really like the directors at the school who offered me the job today and if it came down to it and i had to turn them down i'd feel really bad! they just seem so nice! but you defineteky have to do whats best for you!