Update: Slight 2nd Dilemna

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ms. I, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2011

yellowdaisies, yeah I NEVER heard about contracts for SUBS either until I saw it now for my situation. For that matter, I've beena long-term sub throughout the yrs w/ dist #1 & they don't have contracts. It's just the daily sub teacher pay w/ #1. But, here, dist #2's temp position is actually called sub SLP (at the $200/day + mileage). I have no idea why some districts havecontracts for subs. I guess to HOPEFULLY have the employee's loyalty & not just do another job next week for example.

(To answer your 2nd paragraph question,) no one. 1st of all speech kids aren't even seen until the 2nd or 3rd of school starting & for the rest of the time, I guess they'll have no one yet.

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Seems the loyalty hope won't pan out....make sure there isn't some kind of wording in that contract you signed, Ms I, about how many days notice you'd have to give. Regardless, you will be leaving them in the lurch if you pull out.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 23, 2011

I couldn't find a flummoxed smilie, so I'll just go with :confused:

Our speech kids are seen beginning the second day of school. And our speech path teaches other classes, beginning the first day.

4. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Aug 23, 2011

I am SUPER confused (as it seems many are) and I tried to read back. I have NEVER heard of a school having someone sign a contract without board approval. If the board were to not approval for whatever reason they signed a person to a contract which could bring up legal issues for the school. I am hoping I just misunderstood.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 23, 2011

Maybe that's what I'm confused about. What did this contract state for dates? If it was August 22-October whatever, then shouldn't you be working right now? It surely doesn't state September 16-October whatever.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 23, 2011

What Ms. I is saying about the start day is not unusual at all. As the special ed teacher, I'm not allowed to start my pull out groups (nor is the speech path) until the 3rd week of school. They want the kids to get used to their classroom teachers, and we need to figure out who actually showed up and make a schedule for all the interventions. I actually didn't really agree with wating a whole two weeks to start, especially when I have service hours, so I had posted a question about this very thing in the special ed forum. Pretty much every teacher there said they did the same thing or agreed with the policy of waiting/letting the kids get used to thier classroom first, regardless of what normal hours we did. I don't like it, but it seems it's pretty much the norm. I made the post awhile ago, but I seem to remember that not a single teacher agreed with me that it was wrong to wait that long, so it's obviously a very common policy.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 23, 2011

We also start services and preps ( specials) the first day. Even if providers just come into the class and get a feel for the kids. After all, most of them are at two-four schools and have to meet minutes and the month is already a week short.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2011

kcjo13,k then schools sure do things differently. On the 1st & 2nd days of school (many times the whole 1st wk), speech files of new incoming kids aren't even in yet, whether they're coming from different schools w/i the same dist OR moving from a different dist or state, etc.
    Also, like waterfall said, it's time consuming to create a pull-out speech schedule. At our dist, diff grades have different lunch times & they can't be pulled in the morning language arts time block. There's P.E. to work around, which is a certain day of the week & of course ea class has it at at diff times. Many speech kids are also in RSP, so we have to work around that schedule. Then, the following isn't quite as important, but it would be nice to be able to work around the times the classes go to computer lab, library, music, etc. So, yes, kids are definitely NOT seen at my dist for speech until the 2nd or 3rd week. RSP kids usually start being seen a little earlier. Then, you havd to mk sure how many times they're seen each week, & make note of their goals too.

I never even knew certain districts had contracts for subs. But yes, I signed it already.

There are NO dates at all on the contract I signed. It's very brief. Here's exactly what the contract states, which I posted back on page 5 of this thread:

9. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

Don't posts with 5 pages usually get moved along to another forum?

10. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 23, 2011

I've been reading faithfully, but not contributing. Maybe the difference some have with the OP stems from their positions? I am a loyal teacher who has been at the same school for a long time. I consider that school MY school. Perhaps you do not feel the same sense of ownership and belonging as a sub and it seems perfectly fine to put your desires above the tentative agreement you made with school 2. I'm not certain, but it seems like you are representing that view? I hope it all works out for both districts and for you. I hope both sets of children get the SPL perfect for their needs.

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 23, 2011

Ok.... I am thoroughly confused. Are you taking the job in district 1 or 2? Did you tell district 1 you were currently under a substitute contract? Did you even get offered a job in district 1? So, district 2 is taking your name before the board, but you are not planning to teach there??? I am SO confused.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2011

MissJill, I really don't mean to appear snide here, but what do you care? There's other threads just as long or more that haven't moved.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2011

Thanks Joyful!

SCTeachInTX, at this very moment, things are up in the air w/ both districts. But, I have an appt to talk w/ the dir. of #1 tomorrow...if he/she shows up.

14. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

Because you clearly didn't want advice here, you just wanted to state what was going on with you and then have other people tell you things so that you could say otherwise.

This post is annoying.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Ms. I...not being snide either, but YOU are the one who asked for advice and provides ongoing updates to your 'dilemma'. If you don't want opinions, or questions, or for anyone to care, don't post about it..

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 23, 2011

If he/she shows up??? Ok... the plot is really thickening here. Did you tell district 1 you signed a sub contract? So, I assume there was no job offer? Why are things up in the air in the number 2 district? Did they not give you a contract and put your name up for board approval? So confused....:(

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Ditto....

18. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

Hehehe....:blush:

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2011

Wait a minute, like others in the Job Seekers section haven't done the same thing?! They do it all the time! Those who think this thread is annoying just won't post in it. Others who are actually following & want to see what happens will follow it. If don't care for a thread, I'm not going to post in it, it's as simploe as that. I honestly wanted advice & then new things kept happening & as you saw for yourself, a lot of people kept replying & asking questions...so I answered them.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Only 1/2 right? which half? :lol:

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2011

I was editing my post (#99) after you already posted w/ #100.

czacza, what boggles me is if my thread(s) irk you so much, why do you even keep reading?! You must have other threads to post in right?

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

As I understand it:

- You still don't have an offer with District #1. They're the district that you had to badger into giving you an interview.

- You've signed a contract with District #2. You've submitted your W-4,and as far as they know you're an employee. School begins tomorrow.

-You're planning to accept the offer you haven't gotten yet from District #1, then quit District #2. If it means working a week or two for #2 before quitting, that's what you'll do.

- And then at some point, there was something about a third district. But apparently they're out of contention for your services.

Is that about right?

My daughter uses Speech and Language services. As a parent, let's just say I'm glad right now I'm on Long Island. I would hate to think of her services being disrupted because of games like these.

23. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

It can be described as a bad car wreck or something like that. You don't want to look, but the absurdity of it just keeps drawing you back in.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Im not irked at all. I'm quite curious as to where you sensed I might be. In fact, I've hardly commented on your dilemma at all...I see it as your decision, whether I agree with it or not. Good luck with whatever you decide.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2011

Well, of course Jill, because I started this thread, so I'm not going to ignore people who post in it.

26. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

I was referring to those who keep reading and posting, not you.

27. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

:lol:

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2011

Mrs.SLF, I don't know why you're laughing. You've contributed quite a bit in the thread.

We might as well close this thread up if it's going to turn to this.

29. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

I am laughing because Jill's comments are funny and spot on. Additionally, I have not contributed that much (which is relative anyway) because I feel like you only posted to post and not actually get sound advice. Not to mention, it's a free country and I can "laugh" if I want to! Sheesh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.