Update: Slight 2nd Dilemna

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ms. I, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

Our long-term subs do sign contracts.

I think you're making the right decision to stick with the commitment you've already made.

2. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 21, 2011

Good luck! Who knows... maybe in your interview you could mention that you have an opportunity to be hired as a waiver SLP and then District #1 will start thinking along those lines and offer you that option after you finish your LTS position.

Who knows, keeping your options open and getting experience in your actual dream position makes sense. GOOD LUCK!

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2011

Sounds good Ms. I. I only see positives with district 2.

I taught while doing my degree fulltime. I was exhausted sometimes but I got so much out of it because I could what I learned the very next day. That was incredible!

If you end up being part time, curtail birds Tom sprees and use extra time for study!

4. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Aug 21, 2011

I'm actually curious as to what a long-term sub contract would stipulate...subs here don't sign them and I think the district pretty well realizes that it's at that risk that they have subs. Then again, the district I worked at didn't pay more for certified or subs with degrees, so they weren't setting the bar very high, IMO, either.

I am glad you're staying with District 2; for now, at least you have a commitment...I would also continually clarify the waiver process; if they don't follow through on the waiver, though--I'd be done with them. My reasoning is that every employer I've ever had promises the moon but often don't follow through--and it is often detrimental to one's psyche to hang around and wait for the best!!!! I am sorry if I sound pessimistic; I have industry as well as education experience so I am jaded, lol.

I think you have a great idea about broaching an October start date if district 1 offers you a job--that's fair. I would also try and get a fulltime, non-sub position, somehow, someway--I know you have subbed for a long time, but IMO that does raise red flags...I would want to know the reason you didn't work or couldn't do so. I also honestly think you are risking being "pigeon holed" as a sub and not a regular employee. I say this because my boyfriend is self employed/does contracts as an IT pro and a lot of employers question "well why DO you want to be a regular employee after all these years?" (his answer is that he now has a family unit--me and my kids--so regular schedules are helpful) We also just flat out didn't hire/convert subs to regular staff members--just didn't happen here, for whatever reason. And some of them have tried and tried to get on as regular teachers...to no avail.

Good luck--great news is that you have finally gotten some answers!!!! That's awesome--I know it's hard, but you're on your way!

5. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Aug 21, 2011

I did too; I think the hard part for me was having a non-supportive spouse at the time who didn't view a Master's degree as something he would benefit from.:crosseyed

I did finally resign, though, to finish LPC credentialing since I was not only in dire need of a reprise from teaching but also the practicums would be impossible to coordinate while working fulltime. Maybe I could have worked something out, but I am single, have three kids and am about multi-tasked out and can't do both school and work anymore.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

From what I remember, they aren't really complicated--dates of the contract and the position.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 21, 2011

I think it would be advantageous to put the horse back behind the cart and see how the interview goes. All this decision making could be for naught after 10:45 tomorrow...

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2011

SCTeachInTX, yeah, that would be nice if #1 could hire me as a waivered SLP. The fact is, I spoke to the director about it LAST summer (2010). He/She told me to apply on the job site & I never heard a thing more. He/She's the type who's notorious for not getting back w/ people, not staying on top of things, etc.

tired.mom, the SLP sub contract states:

- Possess a valid CA credential/permit auth me as a sub SLP
    - The docs req to do the above condition must be registered w/ the dist & __ Cty Superintendent of Schools.
    - It also states the pay (by the day)
    - This contract doesn't obligate the dist to any # of employment days & it could be cancelled at any time. -- Lastly, the subbing days don't count towards earning permanent status as a dist employee.

I could say I've been a sub SLP w/ dist #1, but they were never this formal about it nor had me sign a contract, plus I was getting just regular sub teacher daily pay.

Will let you guys know how the interview tomorrow goes! Thanks for all your comments! :)

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 22, 2011

Good luck. Do let them know about your current status. It is only fair to be upfront with a potential employer whether it is now or in the future. Being honest will show them that you are the kind of candidate that they want on their team once you have finished your degree. Who knows maybe one day you will leave the same kind of legacy that your mother has earned through hard work, a love for kids, and her trustworthiness.

10. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 22, 2011

Also, let us know how the interview went! I've been following your story with interest. :)

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2011

Maybe This is a Sign to Stay w/ #1

I've found out more this morning. So according to #2, I'm supposed to start the day after tomorrow (Wed). Well, I had a few more ques about the sub SLP job over the wknd, so I called this morning, wasn't able to reach the sec I met w/ last Thurs. I called to try to reach someone else. She said the sec will be out all this wk & I wouldn't be able to start working until it's approved at the next board mtg, which isn't until Sept 15th. So I couldn't start before that date.

I'll probably turn in the waiver app & $55 fee next Mon when the sec gets back.

In the meantime, I probably would have been hired & started the job w/ dist #1.

Now up until this time, all/most of you have been saying to go w/ #2.

Now question becomes: Should I quit #1 (after just starting) & go to #2 when they're ready for me to start?

I know I'll definitely take the #1 job & go ahead & start it now at least.

SCTeachInTX, thanks for the luck!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

So, you were offered a job with District #1 at your interview this morning?

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2011

Wait, what? You really can't jerk employers around like that. If you sign with 1, you've signed with 1!

The delay with 2 doesn't seem the end of the world--you are subbing now, right?

Don't burn bridges. (and honor your word)

14. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Aug 22, 2011

Decisions, Decisions--I know you will make the right one for you. Best wishes!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2011

MrsC, technically, I'm not hired just yet w/ #1 as the SLPA (the dist I'm sub teaching for). Now I know I shouldn't assume I've got it, but I'm 99.9999% sure I probably will...& if I'm not, I'll have no more dilemnas, I'll defintiely wait for #2 then of course.

mollydoll, I know. Sometimes, I wish I just had one dist to content w/, then I wouldn't have all these dilemnas! This delay w/ #2 is making things worse. I'll definitely stil go on the interview I have this afternoon w/ #1.

This may be a no-brainer or easy situation for you guys, but for me, the person in this, it's HARD. I'd have an equal amt of pros & cons w/ each dist if I wrote out a list right now!

elateacher4life, thank you.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

If your chances are 99.9999%, I take it that today's interview with District #1 went incredibly well and they implied that an offer is in the works?

I must admit to being very confused about your status in each of the possibilities you're juggling.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 22, 2011

So now your interview with #1 isn't until this afternoon?

And you do...or don't...have the job for SURE?

And if you do, you are going to take it, work for 17 days, then quit and start another job? Really?

I'm with Alice in the thoroughly confused category...

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

Wait, I missed that until I read kc's post.

Are you seriously considering doing that???

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

Add me to those confused about where you stand with each district. Whatever you decide to do, be cautious. The teaching world is very small, and I imagine the SLP/SLPA world is even smaller. You are in serious danger of burning not just one, but all of your bridges.

20. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2011

I am totally confused. I was thinking it might just be me in a fog from the first full week of school.:eek:

21. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 22, 2011

If you are offered a job at #1 and accept it, you need to stay with it and let district #2 go. Stick to your commitments.

Working a job for a few weeks and then moving to something different will ruin your reputation as a reliable employee.

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 22, 2011

So what happened? You have everyone interested...

23. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Aug 22, 2011

I am also very confused...from what I am understanding, you have accepted the job with #2, are banking on a job you haven't been offered at with #1, plan on working at #1 for a couple weeks, then will quit and go to #2 when they're ready for you???

If this is the case, I agree with other posters that word will probably get around. To be completely honest, if I were an admin in either of those districts, I might be a little leery of hiring you at this point. I would want someone who is loyal to my district and is interested in serving the students long-term. It could definitely be that my confusion is causing me to misinterpret the situation, though, so I apologize if I am reading things incorrectly.

Whichever option you choose, it sounds like you will get some great experience! You just have to decide what's best as far as short term needs vs. long term goals.

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 22, 2011

I'm not too sure why you will take a 2nd job, just to quit and go to another one??? I would be upset if you did this at my school even if I wasn't the administer. The world of SLP's is not that big and it will get back to District 1 that you already had a job when you accepted their position.

25. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 22, 2011

I think the interview is tomorrow.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2011

Hi guys! I'll try to explain it so it's less confusing:

#1 - Been sub teaching there for a long time. Finally for the 1st time are hiring SLPAs (speech-lang path assts). Interview was finally today after waiting almost 2 mos for an interview (I was pretty sure I'd pass the paper screening). Other than the fact that at the end, I drove off for a few min w/ the paper of interview questions & drove back to give it back, the interview went well. :blush:

The director even brought up at the start of the interview asking me if I'd want to be an SLP on a waiver. An SLP (Speech-lang pathologist) is of course higher than a SLPA. Needs more education & so of course the salary's higher. I said, "OH YES!" & she made an appt for me then & there to come see her again on Wed. :D:D:D

Districts are so desperate for SLPs that many hire people on a waiver where the person hasn't graduated from grad school yet or maybe didn't start at all. But if a person's hired as a waivered SLP, they get support & the full salary & benefits & the employer gives them I think 2 yrs to get into a grad school or like me, I already started grad school.

My ultimate goal is to be an SLP. That's what I'm in school for.

So at the end of today's interview, the director asked what I'd rather do: SLPA or SLP. I said my ultimate goal is SLP, it's what I'm in school for, however, if I'm not hired for that at this time, I'm fully qualified to be a SLPA & I'd be glad to do it.

#2 - I know nothing about this much smaller dist, but they hired me (w/o meeting me at the time) to be a substitute SLP, which is NOT a permanent job, but it pays better than a regular substitute teacher. They brought it up 1st about wanting to have me apply for a waiver, so I was leaning on #2 all this time. This dist was moving a LOT quicker, but now #1 has caught up to them (& may beat them to the punch) because now #2 has to approve me being hired as a sub SLP at their next board meeting which now isn't until Sept 15th (which I just found out today). So far, I turned in all the papers w/ this dist (#2): W-4 tax form, sub SLP contract, direct deposit for the paycheck, etc.

So, I might as well stay w/ #1. It's a little closer drive, I'm much more familiar w/ it, I know practically all the SLPs already, etc.

The MAIN thing from today's interview is, I get to see the director again on WED & talk to her again about being an SLP on a waiver! I'll have my wiver application all set to give her!

I hope that was more easilyr understood. I know everything's been posted in pieces, but this is the latest info.

I really want a permanent job badly this yr. I've been having a heck of a time deciding on which dist.

So...I'm still going to have more info yet to come!

27. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Aug 22, 2011

I really just have a bad taste in my mouth from all of this.

I think your desperation for getting a job, that isn't subbing, is really clouding your judgement.

You already signed a contract with district #2 and agreed to work with them, from what you previously said, so the fact that you've continued the process with district #1 is really outrageous.

28. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 22, 2011

So, still no job offer from #1?
    And, you've committed to work for #2?

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

And, I thought that one of your main concerns with #2 was that you weren't sure if you were ready for the responsibilities of being an SLP yet?

30. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 22, 2011

I think you decided when you signed your contract with #2 ... or, at least that is what everyone at that district believes about you.

31. Joxepa

Joxepa Rookie

Aug 22, 2011

I don't mean any disrespect and I don't want this to come off as an attack of any kind, but if this is true, why did they drag their feet about giving you an interview?

And if this is true, doesn't this still put you in a decent spot with district 2 and district 1 anyway if you go with the sub job that you already signed the contract for because they really need SLPs?

I guess I am still a little confused about why you would back out of a commitment for a "definitely.. definitely maybe."

I am also curious, and I apologize if this was stated somewhere in the thread, but at your interview did you mention that you had committed to district 2 at all?

32. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2011

I could be wrong about this one...but isn't it illegal to break a contract you've actually already signed?

I guess going back on a verbal agreement is a gray area...it's not something I'd feel comfortable with but I know some people think getting a better fitting position is worth it, plus if you're not official at the school yet they could technically back out as well I guess. But if you've already signed the contract, that's a legal binding document, isn't it? Even if you find out it's not a legal issue, I think going back on your word will have huge ramifications on your career, especially in a small field where word gets around.

33. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 22, 2011

Ok wait a minute...I think everyone can agree that once you sign a contract you should stop looking. However, Mrs. I has stated that #2 is not a permanent position AND she hasn't even gotten the approval from the board yet. So I have to say in these times, you have to do what is right for you. If I was offered a permanent position as opposed to a non permanent, I would certainly go for it (unless of course I started teaching the kiddos...then I wouldn't leave them). But, school hasn't started yet, she hasn't even been approved by the board, and it is not a permanent position. So, I say, in my humble opinion that she should continue seeking full time, permanent employment. Good luck to you. I hope it all works out.

34. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2011

I am confused also. I think #2 would have to be ogres to expect someone that hasn't been approved yet to keep a month long sub job instead of permanent position, especially if the sub job is still at-will.

I once had a contract for an LTR. It was supposed to be 2 months, but the teacher came back after 5 weeks, so I was out of a job, contract or not.

This all depends what #2 has offered and what has actually been accepted. If you have given word to do both the sub job AND the waiver, that is a different scenario. Also, they should know that you are applying other places.

The honorable thing to do would be to delay start at #1, if possible. If they won't go for a delayed start, it might also be possible to have #1 talk to #2 for you to work out something amicable.

In the end, it isn't worth losing your reputation over this sort of thing. It WILL come back to haunt you eventually. Admin move around a lot, for example. Even at #1, your next boss could be admin from #2 who felt screwed over.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2011

teacher36, you're one of the few who seems to understand my situation. Plus, I tried to reach that #2 sec this morning a few times only to find out to my surprise that she'd be out all week & that the next board mtg's Sept 15th. Well, a lot can happen in a wk & even more can happen btwn now & Sept 15th. I'm hoping I can get a final answer of being hired from #1 before that date, then I can tell #2 not to submit that 2-month SUBSTITUTE contract for approval. That's the only contract I signed, which they can easily rip up if need be. In fact, now #2's the ones leaving me hanging. I couldn't start work w/ them before Sept 15th.

They (#1) dragged their feet because they're just slow about doing things. You know how certain people & employers have it more on the ball & do things quicker than others. And no, I didn't mention anything about another dist to #1 because there's nothing permanent w/ them at this point.

Now what you said that I colored in red is exactly what's happening w/ #2 for me. After Oct, there's NO guarantee that they'll have any work for me whatsoever (& I've stated this in a previous post). My post #48 on page 5 of this thread states what the contract says, so as you can see, it's pretty brief, vague, & nothing's ironclad. So far, yes, I've signed a contract...to ONLY cover for someone who's on maternity until Oct & no, I have NOT yet submitted my waiver application & $55 fee to them yet.

Heck, if I can stay w/ #1 where I've been working since 1999, I'll stay w/ them. All these yrs, I've never heard of dist #2 in my life, so I'll survive if I don't end up working w/ #2. It's not like I live in some isolated area where there's just a couple fo districts for miles around. THEN, it would be a cause of concern to not burn bridges. (But, still I don't want to do that now if I can help it.)

Now it will be interesting to see what happens on Wed! I'm going to bring the waiver app already filled out. (The director did tell me to research about it.)

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Ms I...it's not a matter of the members here being confused or not understanding...you've received a lot of good advice and support throughout this process. It seems that others would just handle this situation differently.Ultimately it's your decision and reputation...good luck in making that decision.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

No, I've got to agree that I've been very confused. It's a hard story to keep straight for a number of reasons.

But I agree, czacza, many of us would have handled it very differently. And that disagreeing is a long way from misunderstanding.

To each his (or her)own.

38. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 23, 2011

Ms. I, it sounds like you have your mind made up and want to go with number 1. Just do us a favor and let #2 know ASAP...like, today...they are going to be scrambling to find another sub.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2011

Thanks guys. Just because I said a few people understand, that's not knocking anyone else. We're all individuals & of course would handle the same situaion many different ways. If I say that a few people understand here, it's for the purpose of hoping that others who are confused will maybe read their post maybe a little better & it might help them undertand it too &/or see my viewpoint/opinion & maybe help them to understand why I'm choosing the decision I'm choosing a little better (not that they won't change their minds abou what they would do if it were them).

But yes, I've continuously thanked everyone for their comments throughout the thread (& numerous other that I post about other topics). It's been great. I know many of you are following this, so I'll continue to update as it happens. :D

40. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 23, 2011

I'm not going to voice any opinion either way, but I am confused about something - there's a contract involved with a LTS position? Since a LTS job is a sub job with sub pay, why would you have to sign a contract at all?

And if the teacher is already on maternity leave, who is the sub until September 15th?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.