Update: Slight 2nd Dilemna

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ms. I, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2011

Some of you have been following my story (past threads at the bottom). I'm back from dist #2, turned in papers to start Wed for the sub SLP till Oct. It sounds like I have nothing to lose because I'll get to see how I like it, mk good pay in the meantime, etc., then I'm still in the running for their SLPA position, which I'll probably get, but they also already gave me the application to apply for the waiver to go ahead & be the SLP. They just haven't yet said when there's going to be an opening w/ that. This dist not that big...8 schools & a slightly longer drive than dist #1.

Today, I was told I'd finally have a SLPA interview w/ dist #1 on Mon, which I'll probably get the job. The SLPA position here is FT w/ benefits...dist #2's SLPA is PT (20 hrs/wk), so I don't know what kind of benefits & it pays a little LESS.
    Dist #1 is short on SLPs too, but there's been no talk on their part of trying to hire me for that. That could be yrs from now.

Now, the dilemna is to stay w/ #1 all the way or try something new w/ #2, which sounds like I'll get to my ultimate goal (SLP) faster. On the other hand, it wouldn't be so terrible to be a SLPA for the next yr, after all, I just started grad school & will have time to learn all the SLP stuff. But I also want to get my own place ASAP (preferrably buy, not rent) & travel, etc. I'm leaning towards trying #2, but I'll still go on #1's interview.

BUT, what do I say if they (#1) offer me the job on the spot on Mon?

Thread w/ 1st dilemna:
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=149551

Slightly older thread:
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=148420

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2011

Ms I, you've spent the whole summer banking on district 1. It doesn't seem as though they're as anxious to hire you as you had anticipated.

Also, though I know nothing about the world of SLPs and SLPA's, it sounds from your desctiprion as though you're neither certified nor anxious to take on the responsibilities of being an SLP at this point.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2011

Since you turned in papers today, I assume you have committed to the job?

If I were you, I wouldn't be burning bridges in either district.

If you get offered the job on Monday, I would tell them that you would love to, but can't accept until Octoboer due to this prior commitment.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2011

I agree with mollydoll...since you've committed yourself to the job until October I would do that and tell district #1 that you're not available until after the LTS job is over.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2011

Ms. I, I agree with Alice and in fact mentioned this before too that I would move on from this district.

I know you said that you'll learn what this job entails at grad school, but I also know you have done a LOT of subbing as an SLP.

And I know, for me, while I did learn some things at the university, it wasn't until I started teaching that it made sense. In fact, I learned MUCH more during my first year, working with real teachers than in the classroom. So, I would take that job at the 2nd district. :)

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011

If your ultimate goal is to be an SLP, then this should be a no brainer. But the choice is yours. Whatever makes you happy at this point. :):):)

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2011

Thanks a lot guys! Someone helped convince me to stay w/ #1, so I will...IF only they'll call me for an interview now! If interviews are supposed to be on Mon, they sure do cut it close! I'll be at work tomorrow, so I guess I'll be checking my messages every 1-2 hrs.

Wouldn't it be something if they don't even call?! Well, if they don't, then I have plan B all set.

Then, I still never cancelled an interview I have w/ dist #3. (And then I had applied to 2 other dists.)

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2011

Would there be any repercussions for backing out of the commitment you've already made to district #2?

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2011

MrsC, well, overall no, but I'm definitely sincere & will be apologetic & thankful to them when I tell them that I won't be able to do it after all. BUT 1st, I have to see if #1 will call me now for an interview & offer me the job!

What was said to me that convinced me to stay w/ #1 were 3 things:

- The old saying: A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

- I was told that w/ a waiver, I can technically be knocked out of my position at any time if a better qualififed person comes along (probably even if it's in the middle of a school yr).

- I was also told that w/ dist #1, if you leave them, they wouldn't really want you back later...don't know how true that is though.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2011

You don't have a bird in the hand with district #1 at this point.

I'd be very careful here. Why would district 1 hold it against you for doing a ltr somewhere else after 10 years of subbing with them?

You may need to apply for another job at district 2 soon. You could bring up the waiver issue with them. If they are not posting a position, I doubt that would happen.

Good luck either way!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2011

True mollydoll.

They shouldn't, but people can be strange sometimes.

I hope so too. Thank you!

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011

Ms. I - Your reasoning does not make sense to me. You are giving up a possible full time SLP position to sub as an SLPA? You have not been offered a job in District 1. And as of yet, do not even have an interview date in district 1. You could potentially do what you are going to school to do in district 2. If you do a good job, why would the district up and hire someone mid year? That makes no sense. They would not. Again, there is no bird in the hand like Mollydoll suggested.

Now, if you just don't want to change. You actually want to continue subbing. But know that if you go back on your word, you probably will not be working for District 2 in the future because of your actions.

Still... I wish you good luck and hope that you find happiness somewhere.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2011

SCTeachInTX, thank you. Well, IF I actually get this interview w/ #1 & get the job, it will be a permanent SLPA job. #2 is a sub SLP till Oct at 1st, but could potentially turn into a waivered SLP, but now that I see that a waivered person can be knoked out if someone better comes along, that helped me make my choice better.

More waiting for me now.

15. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2011

I doubt they would go through the trouble of arranging the waver in order to find someone else. They could keep you as a long term sub, no?

Districts like to have things settled, so if you got the waiver and did a good job, it seems unlikely they would replace you. The more likely scenario would be to not renew your contract. I would only worry if they were listing the position, but again, if so, why not have you as a ltr?

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

Ms I , I'm not sure there's anything left to say here. So I'll reiterate what others have said:

1. You've made a committment to District 2. You've given your word. Only you can determine what that means. Enough said there.

2. You apparently do NOT have a job with District 1, unless you've forgotten to mention signing a contract with them. You have an interview, the one you've been asking them to grant you all summer. As too many teachers here know, an interview is not necessarily the same thing as a job, even when you're sure you're a good fit.

Best wishes.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 19, 2011

I'll stop beating this dead horse for now until some different news comes up. (Notice, I haven't said much more since my OP, except to reply to what others said? :))

Actually Alice, #1 hasn't even contacted me for an interivew yet. Someone told me that they were holding interviews on Mon, so today's really the only day left for them to call me.

mollydoll, I hope you're right about them (#2) wanting to keep me if I do a good job & not just have me bumped if someone else comes along. But if someone else DOES come along who doesn't need a waiver & has all the qualifications, it would be cheaper for them to hire them & let me go (because I assume they're going to pay a stipend to another SLP to handle the IEP & assessment part of it as long as I'm still there).

So again, I'm not saying anymore, unless to reply to someone or unless there's different news because there's nothing more to say at this point.

Thanks everyone! :)

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2011

Even if you do only have this job (#2) until October, it's still experience in the field that you are pursuing, which will look good on your resume. And, if you end up doing a really good job (just someone else with the right qualifications happens to come along later on), then at least you'll have some recommendations and have made connections for possible future job openings.

Maybe district 1 is slow, but if they are holding interviews on Monday and they haven't contacted you yet, knowing how much you wanted this job and have been calling them and emailing them, then I would say that it's not looking too good.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

So you don't even have an interview scheduled yet with District 1?

This is the part of your post that confused me:

If I'm reading it right and you don't even have an interview scheduled, I think it's extremely presumptuous for you to be assuming that you'll "probably get the job". I feel like if they wanted you so much, they would have contacted you by now. I do not think that your situation with District 1 qualifies as a "bird in the hand" situation.

I'd go with District 2.

20. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 19, 2011

Didn't district 1 hire you for a full year leave replacement sub already?

21. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 19, 2011

TAKE THE JOB YOU ALREADY COMMITTED TO!!!!

You are really gambling with a job, and you don't even have the interview!

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2011

I went on an interview after I had verbally committed to my first job (a full year LTS). I was honest and told them that I had taken an offer but was interested in a fulltime position that would lead to tenure. They interviewed me and it went really well. But when the P emailed me to tell me they had gone with someone else, he said my word was important and even though it was not a tenure track position, the students there needed me and the P must've thought I was a good fit.

I got hired at the second school my next year after finishing my lts job.

It doesn't sound like you will get an interview from the other district, so be happy with the job you have and make the most of it. Use the experience to your advantage and show them why you should be on their staff for a very long time!

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 19, 2011

YAY! I got called today at 10:45 am for an interview today w/ dist #1 for Mon afternoon! Please think good thoughts for me! Thanks! :)

They have me working M-F all yr as a sub teacher again, which is what I've been doing since 1999. (Yes, I've been a sub for a long time & have fortunately had steady work.)

As I'm reading what I said in my OP, I probably meant I was told (by one of my insiders) that I SHOULD be getting called. I know "should be" & actually getting called are two different things. I didn't mean to be confusing.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

So you're deciding to go with District #1? Haven't you already signed with District #2?

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

That's what I thought.

I must admit to being very confused. Don't you already have a committment to District #2??? As I read it, you're starting on Wednesday of next week. What if Monday's interview with District #1 goes well and you get an offer on Tuesday afternoon-- are you really going to go back on your committment and leave District #2 stuck the afternoon before they need someone??

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 20, 2011

People change their minds all the time & employers should know that. At least I wouldn't have actually STARTED working for #2 for 2 days (for example) & then backed out.

#1 will have a permanent job. #2 is so far the 2-month job. After that, there's no guarantees, so they should understand that I want to go for a more permanent thing (even though they POTENTIALLY have a highe level job at a faster pace). But at the time I went to talk to #2, #1 hadn't called yet for an interivew, so I didn't know how much longer I would be waiting.

If you're wondering if I'm afraid of ruining my chances to ever work for #2 later down the road, well I guess that's the risk I'll have to take. If I get #1's job, which I probably will, I could literally see myself having a lifelong career w/ them because I don't plan on moving far, out of state, etc. anytime soon.

27. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 20, 2011

I still think you should go with District # 2.

District # 1 has been stringing you along for a while and the job is SLPA--if you get the job you probably will have to interview again for an SLP.

District # 2 is SLP--your ultimate goal and you gave your commitment..If you do well you would be an SLP quicker for this district.

I make the parallel for teaching. Would you rather take a year position as a TA (District # 1) or a leave replacement TEACHING position (District #2) The teaching experience would look alot better than the TA experience albeit it would be shorter but could extend for a while.

Think of #2 as a clean slate to be an SLP. District #1 you may be have the rep as that "sub" or "Mrs. I's daughter" #2 is fresh you can make your own reputation.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 20, 2011

teacher304, your points are all true & I agree w/ them. I don't doubt that I'd probably do well at #2 & enjoy it & all that, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay w/ #1. I know, at 1st I wanted to try out #2 too. Believe me, it was a tough decision to make! :dizzy:

Boy, if only there were TWO of me, I'd stay w/ #1 & try out #2 because honestly, I think I'd be just as happy at either job! :D Hmm, too bad I can't tell #2 my dilemna so they could tell me something to tip my decision in their favor.

Another thing: In May, I started this pretty rigorous grad program. Now taking job #1 would be less pressure/stress for me overall because it's a SLPA job where I know my stuff & there's nothing complicated. With #2, AFTER Oct, I would probably be more stressed because I'd have to suddenly learn all the IEP & assessment aspects & w/ my hard grad classes too, it will probably be more overwhelming than I'm willing to do at that time...NOT that I can't do it if I really had to.

Thanks again for your input though! :)

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2011

Some people also lie and cheat and steal "all the time."

Just not this person. When I make a commitment, I do everything in my power to honor it.

And can we assume that it will be OK if the district you decide on also changes its mind between the offer and the time you sign your contract???

30. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Aug 20, 2011

All summer it seems you've been saying you're basically a shoe-in for the job at district #1 and yet, they really haven't been willing to make a committment to you nor to your ultimate goal of being an SLP.

On the other hand, district #2 has been honest and upfront from the start. They obviously can see you in their district long-term and have presented an option to you to help make that a reality.

You say you'd probably be equally happy with either job. That's great. You could be happily working for district #1 (assuming they even hire you) meanwhile you have a tarnished reputation because district #2 was lied to and has decided to spread the word (the SLP community is pretty small). OR You could be honest with district #1 and let them know you've accepted employment with district #2 and you'd still have your reputation intact because you haven't lied, you simply accepted a position when it became available.

I guess I have to applaud your confidence and tell you I hope that it works out for you. I have never banked on having a job quite like you seem to have.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 20, 2011

(I'm not upset here, but) come on Alice, I'm not getting into breaking the law here or anything even close. I'm just trying to decide what's best for me. I've been struggling to come up w/ the right decision like crazy these days.

Yes no doubt, commitment is good, but so is having a plan B, C, D, etc. Dist #1 has really taken their slow ass time, which yes is frustrating (& if it wasn't for that lagging, I would have probably been permanent w/ #1 at least a few wks ago). I'm a whole lot more familiar w/ them & the drive's a little closer, so I will try to go ahead & stay w/ them since they FINALLY called literally A DAY AFTER I went to #2 to submit the papers & the $40 fingerprinting fee I might add. I also told myself that I don't care about losing the $40 fee if I was pretty sure I was going to stay w/ #1. I just wanted to make sure I got SOMETHING this yr. I'm sure I'm not the only person who would do what I'm doing after being a sub for so long. I kept telling myself THIS is finally the yr where I don't have to do it (subbing) anymore because I now have the skills in something else to enable myself to switch gears!

AND...in the meantime of this dilemna & praying to God to help guide me to figure out which will be the best move, I'm in the middle of taking this out of this world tough grad school class right now, so that isn't helping matters! :(:mad:

Now, as confident as I am that I'll get #1's job, let's say I don't for some reason, then I'll have #2 as plan B. If I get #1 for sure, I'm definitely going to tell a friend of mine who's trying out for the same kind of job to apply for #2 (she may have seen the posting already herself though.)

newbie23, thanks for your words.

32. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 21, 2011

Ms. I... I guess what everyone is confused about is...
    *You committed to district 2.
    *You ultimately want to be an SLP after grad school and District 2 is giving you on the job training through a LTS position.
    *In all likelihood, if you do a good job, they want to waiver you into a full time position as an SLP. They are already starting this process.
    *Many, many people work full time jobs and attend grad school. You just buckle down and work smart.
    *Your rationale that you could be "let go" from district 2 if they find someone with more experience, really is not valid because they would not do that after going through the process of getting you wavered into the position unless you could not handle the job. The process is a lot of paperwork and they would not go through that and continue looking for a qualified individual.

Hopefully, that clears up the mystery of why people keep asking you question after question. They are completely mystified because so many persons are looking for work in the field of education and your current situation would be like a new teacher saying... "I want to take the assistant job over my dream job of teaching." Do you see how that could be confusing for the reader?

Now, have teachers on this forum worked as paraprofessional before? Absolutely! Many take a para job to get noticed and to get their foot in the door. Some people also take the position because they do not want the responsibility of a regular position. Most people are stunned that you would give up this opportunity because the market is only going to become more competitive over the next few years.

Now, what I hear you say is that ultimately you would rather be an Assistant this year because you feel more comfortable in District 1. You would also rather burn bridges with district 2 in order to be an assistant in a district where you already feel comfortable. That is your choice always. I hope that you get the assistant position soon and I hope when you are ready to commit to an SLP job, there is one available to you in District 1. It is nice to go into a place where everyone knows your name. I do understand that.

We will all be sending you good luck vibes that you get the assistant position since it is ultimately where you feel the most comfortable.

One final question... Are you going to let district 1 know that you already committed to district 2?

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

Ms I, do what you want. Ultimately, my opinon of your decision doesn't matter; we're strangers and the choices you make will not effect me or anyone I know. Likewise, my lack of approval won't have any effect on you.

But my point was that setting the bar at what "lots of people do" is setting the bar kind of low. You've written so often that your morals are high and that you expect that high moral caliber in other people. Reneging on your professional word, and at the very last minute no less, simply does not seem to go along with that point of view. And in my view, the difference between lying and "changing your mind" is hazy at best. Either way you slice it, professionals who made a committment to you and who thought their staffing was complete are in for a rude awakening the day before they have kids showing up.

Best wishes as you determine your career path.

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

Ms I...district 1 has taken their slow *** time regarding this position that you counted on all summer. You have found another job elsewhere. Seems like a "no brainer" to most of us.
    Do what you want, though. Good luck to you.

35. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 21, 2011

Czacza and Alice- I REALLY need to work on being more short and concise like you guys! You can say so much in a few words. It is a skill that I am going to work on this year.

36. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Aug 21, 2011

I would not look at either district as " they will probably hire me." That mindset can be destructive and dillusional.

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

Ms. I--what will you do if you get an offer from District #1 after you start with District #2? Will you still walk away from the contract you signed?

38. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Aug 21, 2011

You signed a contract and turned in papers? If you actually signed a contract you are breaking a legal agreement.

So you're turning down a position with fieldwork in your dream job to be an assistant of your dream position? That seems idiotic. They've had you as a sub since 99- when are you going to move on and see that they're happy/content with you being a sub?

Its about morals, dignity, integrity, and doing what's right. You made a commitment and it would be wrong to back out (especially for a lackluster position with dist 1). I'm a believer in karma and would know that this would come around.

39. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 21, 2011

:yeahthat:

Oy! I don't think I can add anything additional that has not already been added about this situation. Interestingly enough, I had a similar situation happen to me this summer.

I decided to return to teaching after working for a government contractor for a year and began applying to school districts and charter schools in DC. During this process, charter schools called me to interview me while my dream district dragged their feet to even get me in for a screening interview. I finally called my dream district and they brought me in for a screening interview. Too bad I had already committed to a fabulous charter school in DC. I decided to go to the screening interview for the practice and to make sure I didn't burn any bridges. It was tough when at the end of the interview the staffer informed me I would be a perfect fit for my dream district and would be recommended to principals. Not once did I seriously consider leaving the charter school high and dry. I was contacted by a principal in my dream district for an interview and I graciously told them "thank you" for the offer to interview but I had accepted a position with a charter school that I intended to keep. Best decision I could have made. And as an aside, working in my dream district would have meant commuting less than 20 minutes to most schools whereas it's currently taking me 40-60 minutes to commute to my charter school. While my drive is long, at least I can sleep at night knowing my word means something. Sorry if that seems harsh but after reading your posts this summer, I'm not sure how this is even a situation you have to contemplate. :2cents:

PS-I think you're completely misunderstanding one in the hand is worth two in the bush or have an interesting interpretation of it.

40. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Aug 21, 2011

This opinion may not be in the majority but I think it would be okay if you need to let district 2 know that you were offered an opportunity elsewhere that is better for you. There are so many teachers available they shouldn't have a problem finding anyone to fill that position.

With that being said, I still think you should stay with district 2. District 1 has strung you along all summer and to be honest, it doesn't seem as if they are as into you as you are them...if that makes sense. If your ultimate goal is a full time permanent position, then I think have a leave replacement on your resume might be better than having an assistant position. I know it might be different in the SLP field but I know that people with leave replacement experience tend to get hired before those with assistant experience (at least this has been what I have seen around here).

41. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2011

Thanks for your new comments everyone. OK, this morning, I had another long chat w/ my mom about this. I think I better go ahead w/ #2. I guess I'd be crazy not to & thousands of people would love to have this chance that I'm getting now.

What made me change my mind again is that I have 2 teaching credentials & I recently found out that w/ those credentials (even w/ 1 of them), they'are able to hire me on a waiver for SLP, which I never knew that regular teaching credentials would have anything to do w/ speech. Well, I have preliminary creds & they expire NEXT MONTH, so I better get the waiver app back into the dist #2 ASAP to get that paperwork going. If all else fails after Oct (the supposed time of the end of the maternity leave for the person I'm filling in for), dist #2 is holding SLPA interviews in Sept, which I'm still in the running for (even though it will be 20 hrs/wk, so I'll get no benefits).

And then, let's just say I decide not to go w/ #1 or #2, which I highly doubt it. Well I still had a SLPA interview w/ dist #3 that's a 45 min drive away, which I'd be willing to drive to (or else I wouldn't have applied w/ them in the 1st place).

But, I'll still go on #1's interview tomorrow. It's good practice & I'll feel more relaxed knowing I have something else waiting in the wings. And if they hire me, I'll just ask if I could possibly start in Oct. They'll either say yes or no.

So far, it's a SUBSTITUTE SLP contract I signed, which by the way I never heard of substitute contracts before.

Actually, that little idiom came from the mouth of one of my dist #1 insiders who foretold me that SLPA interviews were going to be held on Monday (before I was actually called for the interview).

Hey don't worry about it. If you have more to say, say it! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.