Update on "tutoring situation"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by waterfall, Jun 6, 2012.

  1. waterfall

    waterfall Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Messages:
    6,092
    Likes Received:
    939

    Jun 6, 2012

    So I had posted a couple of weeks ago that I was asked to tutor a student with Down's Syndrome for the summer, but then had all of these scheduling conflicts with mom. The last communication I had with her was when I sent her a june/july calendar with all of the dates that either of us were unavailable blocked off, and explained that it was impossible to get the five weeks in. I told her I understood if she wanted to go with someone else to get all of the hours finished, but if she wanted me to still do a few hours with him to look at the calendar and let me know. I told her I needed to have my summer work schedule set by the end of the school year. Well, today is the last day and I haven't heard a peep from her so far...I sent the e-mail about two weeks ago.

    So I guess my question is, assuming she doesn't suddenly e-mail me within the next 6 hours, what should my next steps be? This was set up through the school ESY program and they were supposed to be paying me directly (rather than the mom paying me) through my ESY time card. I'm guessing I should just e-mail the director, explain the situation, and say that the mom didn't get back to me so I will not be able to tutor the student this summer. Should I send anything to the mom? I'm just afraid if I send her any communication she'll just reply back and ask for more time, etc. I was kind of hoping to get out of the whole tutoring thing anyway due to what a hassle it's been already, and the fact that with so few hours the money wouldn't really be worth it anyway.
     
  2.  
  3. Caesar753

    Caesar753 Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Messages:
    14,606
    Likes Received:
    2,713

    Jun 6, 2012

    At this point I think that you only need to communicate with the program. You laid it out for the mom and gave her a chance to respond but she didn't. I think you've done your part.
     
  4. teacherintexas

    teacherintexas Maven

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    749

    Jun 6, 2012

    What Ceasar said.
     
  5. mopar

    mopar Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    Messages:
    10,924
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 6, 2012

    I agree, let your ESY director know the situation and just explain that you are unavailable now.
     
  6. JustMe

    JustMe Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Messages:
    7,946
    Likes Received:
    4

    Jun 6, 2012

    Yep.
     
  7. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    Jun 6, 2012

    I would call her, not email her, and ask whether she's decided to go with someone else.

    She wants to do right by her child, and the timing may just have slipped her mind. Have a real chat with her, figure out what's going on, and move on from there.
     
  8. waterfall

    waterfall Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Messages:
    6,092
    Likes Received:
    939

    Jun 6, 2012

    Well, it looks like I'm off the hook! She beat me to it and e-mailed the director and said we weren't able to work out a schedule. I'm very relieved.
     
  9. AZMrs.S

    AZMrs.S Cohort

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 6, 2012

    Glad it worked out waterfall!
     
  10. MrsSachs

    MrsSachs Rookie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2012
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 7, 2012

    Wonderful!
     
  11. mopar

    mopar Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    Messages:
    10,924
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 7, 2012

    I'm glad that it worked out!
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. waterfall
Total: 278 (members: 3, guests: 255, robots: 20)
test