Update on "tutoring situation"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by waterfall, Jun 6, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2012

So I had posted a couple of weeks ago that I was asked to tutor a student with Down's Syndrome for the summer, but then had all of these scheduling conflicts with mom. The last communication I had with her was when I sent her a june/july calendar with all of the dates that either of us were unavailable blocked off, and explained that it was impossible to get the five weeks in. I told her I understood if she wanted to go with someone else to get all of the hours finished, but if she wanted me to still do a few hours with him to look at the calendar and let me know. I told her I needed to have my summer work schedule set by the end of the school year. Well, today is the last day and I haven't heard a peep from her so far...I sent the e-mail about two weeks ago.

So I guess my question is, assuming she doesn't suddenly e-mail me within the next 6 hours, what should my next steps be? This was set up through the school ESY program and they were supposed to be paying me directly (rather than the mom paying me) through my ESY time card. I'm guessing I should just e-mail the director, explain the situation, and say that the mom didn't get back to me so I will not be able to tutor the student this summer. Should I send anything to the mom? I'm just afraid if I send her any communication she'll just reply back and ask for more time, etc. I was kind of hoping to get out of the whole tutoring thing anyway due to what a hassle it's been already, and the fact that with so few hours the money wouldn't really be worth it anyway.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

At this point I think that you only need to communicate with the program. You laid it out for the mom and gave her a chance to respond but she didn't. I think you've done your part.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 6, 2012

What Ceasar said.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

I agree, let your ESY director know the situation and just explain that you are unavailable now.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2012

Yep.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

I would call her, not email her, and ask whether she's decided to go with someone else.

She wants to do right by her child, and the timing may just have slipped her mind. Have a real chat with her, figure out what's going on, and move on from there.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2012

Well, it looks like I'm off the hook! She beat me to it and e-mailed the director and said we weren't able to work out a schedule. I'm very relieved.

9. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 6, 2012

Glad it worked out waterfall!

10. MrsSachs

MrsSachs Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

Wonderful!

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2012

I'm glad that it worked out!