Update on the job hunt

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissPapa, Aug 1, 2013.

1. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 1, 2013

Hey guys.

It's been a while. I moved to a new house and went on vacation.

So the job I thought I was going to secure at…they hired someone else. I was told to call them back after I come back from my vacation to work with them from there (sounded promising), and they end up hiring someone else. My mom told me it must have been a hook-up. I was crushed for a while and took me a while to finally get back in the game.

But last Wednesday, I had a job interview at a middle school. It went well, but now I'm waiting to see if I'm going in for a second interview (they told me they'll get back to me in a week or two, and I decided to follow up today just to let them know I'm still interested).

Anyone who's a teacher in NYC - any tips on the job hunt? I really do need a full-time job and I really want to move on from being a sub. Thank you!!!!

3. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Aug 2, 2013

That happened to me. I was offered an interview at one of the top international schools in Belgium (always wanted to go there but never have been). I was on a Nile cruise on the day that the interview was offered, so I informed the recruiter. He said, "no problem," and we agreed to reschedule once I returned to Cairo.

Of course he filled the position without ever interviewing me...oh well.

I teach in NYC now. The principals are pretty much all on vacation at the moment. The second half of August is when things get back into swing and you can actually get in touch with principals.

Do you have a DOE email account? If you do, you can use it to look up principals by their name and school to get their real email addresses. If you don't have these addresses, it can be much harder to get to them.

Looking for postings in NYC is not very effective, in my experience. Email the principals of your choice schools first whether or not you know of job openings, and expand outward until eventually you contact every school you're willing to work at.

It's tough now, but there are some openings in late August, just before the school year starts.

4. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 3, 2013

Global Teacher - I already had the interview, actually. But anyway, that's old news and you just need to move on, correct?

How was the education system in Cairo and Belgium?

Yea I had a feeling that principals don't come back till like later in August, so I'm not really that worried. And actually, I don't have a DOE account, being that I'm a sub. I do have my ways, however. Hopefully I can post a very happy thread soon :)

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

MissPapa...in your June 22 post on another thread, it didn't seem you had been offered a job, just that you were going to call the P and check out other schools after vacation. Sounded like it might be promising...sorry it didn't work out for you. Keep sending out packages and emails to EVERY school within a reasonable commute. There's always some end of summer hiring as schools look at their enrollment numbers as school starts. Good luck to you.:love:

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 3, 2013

I'm sorry that didn't work out. "It don't mean nothin...til you sign it on the dotted line." ( Sorry, channeling Bopper here, who always has a good lyric to go with every thread.)

Seriously, it's very frustrating, I know. Good luck with this one! Hopefully this time will be the one!!!!! :thumb:

7. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Aug 3, 2013

Impossible!

These were both private schools. In Cairo, the students were all upper class and upper middle class, but very undisciplined, often disrespectful, and more difficult than I expected. Indicative of the revolutionary atmosphere!

I've never yet had the opportunity to work in Belgium, but the school I was applying to, ISB (International School of Brussels) is probably one of the most prestigious international schools in the world.

Any way you can get those emails will work. That's a direct line to the decision makers. Good luck!