Update on my weight loss surgery plans

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by SpecialPreskoo, Jun 14, 2003.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 29, 2003

Time for an update!

The past 2 weeks I've had a time keeping mushy foods down. Today I did fine but I had to take my pain meds to keep my tummy from hurting, but the meals stayed down (hoping not to gross anyone out).

I went for a follow up with my reg. doctor. My cholesterol went from 230 to 170!! My fasting sugar level was in the 70's! My blood pressure is now NORMAL and NO MORE MEDS for high BP. and.... DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!!!

I've lost 30 POUNDS!!!!!!!!

I'm excited! Things are going great with the weight loss and now maybe with my tummy problems figured out, things will get better food wise. WHen I get more down, I'll try to post some before and afters on a website and send the link so yall can see the progress! I can really tell now... especiall in my face, upper tummy and my back. I have shirts that were snug before that are loose on me now!! YIPPEE!!!

Til next time!
    Lori

2. luv2teach

luv2teach Rookie

Jul 30, 2003

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you! It's fantastic! Wow. Keep up the great work.

:D ;)

3. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jul 30, 2003

Congrats! Were all so proud of you and I'm glad you're felling better!

4. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 31, 2003

Lori - I am so happy for you. It is such an incredible thing! Keep up the good work. You are probably to the point where you will start feeling better. I can't wait to see the pictures. Keep us updated.

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 31, 2003

weight loss

I dont qualify (dont have 100 or + pounds to lose) but have just gone to a pulmonologist who wants me to lose 20 percent of my current weight before he can assist me. I really need to drastically make changes in exercise as i currently am doing a liquid soy protein supplement from GNC. I know I want to be thinner and I am not happy about spending my entire life gaining and losing weight. I am feeling pretty crumby right now but need to turn it into positive energy. Keep up the great work with your loss. Ruth

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 10, 2003

Well, this week has been one heck of a week. I've been sooooooooooo sick... like you would not believe. I got a new Rx for a nasal spray for my sinuses... well, it reaked havoc on my stomach and intestines... a SINUS SPRAY NOW! I think my zyrtec is also causing problems. I haven't been able to keep anything down all week until Friday evening. I MEAN NOTHING not even water would stay down. My reg surgeon was on vacation... his associate scheduled me an xray Tuesday morning, the liquid in my tummy (that nasty crap you have to drink for that xray) would barely drain... more like a trickle into my intestines... I ended up going to the ER that night because I was sooooooooooo wore out and drained... it had been days since i had any fluid to stay in me, but they said I wasn't dehydrated and my other levels were fine. They did give me an IV which really helped. I stopped that nasal spray Tuesday and by Friday I was better. I'm going to stop the Zyrtec and go back to ALavert that I took right after surgery. It dissolves on your tongue and not in your tummy. This week I lost 10 lbs... so that makes it a total of 40 lbs... but 10 lbs this week... that is ridiculous!!! I was useless at school... we started Monday with the big inservice day then worked in the classroom Tuesday and Wed. I was there... and that was it. I was trying to hook up a computer... going to put a monitor on a small box. I couldn't even think straight... I'd look at the monitor and look at the box and say... I need to put that on there... but COULDn't Do it! I ended up getting one of my aides to do it. I think i stood there for 10 mins staring at it. Mental Telepathy didn't work... LOL. During lunch, I took a nap. I was useless... THEN school started Thursday... I still wasn't up to par. I'm hoping this week will go a WHOLE LOT better.

ANYWAY... I'll hush now with my ailments. I go see my surgeon Tuesday... believe me... He will be getting an earful on how my week went.

Lori

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 10, 2003

Sounds like you need some more rest. Hope you can be kind to yourself and delegate, delegate, delegate. Feel better!

8. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 10, 2003

I'm sorry you have been feeling so bad! I'll keep you in my prayers. We missed you!

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 10, 2003

Hi! I had WLS RNY Lap on June 2nd..It's terrific! I teach 2nd grade and was back to school after a week. I have lost 45 pd. so far. Write if you'd like!

[note from Amanda: email address removed for privacy reasons... I'll PM SpecialPreskoo with it. :)]

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 13, 2003

test done Thursday

I'm having an EGD done tomorrow (Thursday 14th). They will go in with a light and tiny camera to see what is wrong with me inside. It could be an ulcer or a stricture. A stricture is where the stomach and small intestines are attacted scars up too tight. If it is a stricture, they can dialate it... an ulcer can be fixed with meds I guess. I think I have both. It's been a rough week & 1/2. I've lost around 14 lbs THIS WEEK & 1/2 alone and that is not good... that is too much for me. I've lost 44 lbs total now in just a day over 6 weeks... but dang it... i'm practically starving. I went for an appointment Tuesday to see my surgeon ( he was on vacation last week). I had a list of ailments and such. He set me up with the EGD adn sent me to out patient services for an IV to be stretched over 4 hours. My appointment was at 2:15... I got home at 8:30 pm. I was sooooooo tired but it was nice to have some fluids in me.

I hope after this test and procedure, I will be "fixed" and can go back to drinking my water and crystal light and protein drinks and keep them down. Then I can go back to my mushy foods. I'm not one to usually have all these ailments and such. The most problems I've ever had is the reoccuring sinus infection from the snot nosed preschoolers... HEAVEN HELP ME WHEN I GET ONE OF THIS THIS FALL AND WINTER...

I'll hush for now...

Lori

11. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 13, 2003

the only way is up

keep your spirits up, is probably tough to do with feeling as lousy as you do. I hope you take care of yourself and dont 'rush' back into work. its quite draining and i know you arent feeling your best. Please consider taking 'time off to recuperate'. ruth

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 13, 2003

I agree. Please take care of yourself before you try and care for others. They need all of you, which you can't give when you feel so yucky. Hope it gets better very soon.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 14, 2003

I went for the EGD today. I had some blockage (I think that is what I was told) but they couldn't find the opening to dialate it... the opening from my stomach to the small intestines scarred THAT tight that the dr. couldn't find it!!! So, they are sending me to a bigger hospital in the morning to have it done by a different doctor.

I'll let yall know how things go.

Lori

14. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 14, 2003

praying tonight for answers

I hope you get the answers you need, the relief you deserve, and the spirit to feel better. You are enduring this and may this be common for this procedure, I dont know. I hope your getting the support, and care at home. ruth

15. Amanda

Aug 14, 2003

Lori,
    I'll be praying for you. Let us know how it goes.

16. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Aug 15, 2003

Lori, I am praying for you!! I hope you start to feel better. While I haven't posted much, I follow your story and am really pulling for you!

17. Amanda

Aug 17, 2003

Lori,
    I know you had your appointment on Friday, and I have been keeping you in my thoughts. I pray the doctor was able to get you on the road to recovery. We really miss your bright words around here.

18. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 17, 2003

We miss you, Links Lady! Glad you're keeping such positive spirits (as always)!:)

19. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Aug 18, 2003

My hope is that you will soon be feeling back to your old self. I want you to be one of the success stories.

Eileen

20. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Aug 25, 2003

I have been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, it has been 11 days since you last posted and I, like many others, are anticipating hearing from you.

God Bless.

21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 25, 2003

I can tell I was missed... here's the scoop

Well, I guess you've all been wondering where I've been for over a week now. I had that appointment Friday and they weren't able to dialate that opening either so they admitted me into the hospital that day. I ended up having surgery Tuesday to revise my procedure. They had to disconnect my small intestines from my tummy and make a new connection. I did have 2 blockages in my bowels. SOoooooooo I finally got to come home on Saturday the 23rd... spending over a week in the hospital hooked up to IVs and all that good stuff. I was lucky they did the surgery laproscopic thru the same places as my initial surgery and didn't have to open me up. The only thing I remember when coming to afterwards was asking "was is lap or open"... they said lap and I said "thank goodness" and went back to sleep. Soooooooooooooo here I was 5 days into school starting and I'm getting a "vacation". I'll probably try to go back Sept 8th and do the light stuff of teaching and paper work. Thank goodness for 2 wonderful aides that can do all the lifting that needs to be done. I guess it will depend on how I'm feeling after my appointment on the 3rd to get my staples out. It is nice being able to keep food down. I'm still sore and tired... but that is to be expected.

Talk more later... thank you for your thoughts and prayers!!!
    Lori

22. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Aug 25, 2003

.. so glad to hear that great news, you had us worried! Keep up with the great recovery.

23. luv2teach

luv2teach Rookie

Aug 25, 2003

;) I'm glad your much better. I'm glad that you keep us informed. We really did miss you.

24. Amanda

Aug 25, 2003

Welcome back! I'm glad you are back at home. :D We missed you!

25. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Aug 26, 2003

Glad you're back! Hope you gte to feel better!

26. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 26, 2003

SIGN FROM ABOVE

Lori, you just were meant to take care of yourself! I was so worried for you and how you were "leaping" into your work load. Its a sign for you to SLLLLLLOOOOWWWW down! Recover, take your time, glad to hear that you are on the mend. Ruth

27. KarenFR

KarenFR Rookie

Aug 27, 2003

WOW! I am new to this site and I just finished reading this entire thread. WOW! One... I am amazed at the courage and determination you have to tackle the weight loss issue. Simply amazing... again WOW! Secondly, I am amazed at the number of well wishers who have been with you along the way. What great support. I'm glad you are improving and things are working out for you. You've had an amazing journey that most of us would probably just be too 'chicken' to do. I too have weight to lose but wouldn't qualify for that type of surgery but you really have been an inspiration. I wish you all the best in your recovery. God bless you!
    Karen :)

28. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 27, 2003

The people on here are great. They are very supportive and when a regular seems to disappear, they notice!

I'm doing much better. It is nice keeping food down, but the protein drinks are still a pain. I'm lucky if I get in 20 grams a day and I'm supposed to work up to 60 grams a day. It is all I can do to get in 8 oz of drink. I'm still looking for something that tastes better than what I have and it is better to me that most protein I've tried.

Thank you for the well wishes!
    Lori

29. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 5, 2003

Here's an update!

I'm doing so much better! I've lost 51 lbs now!! My aide showed me some pictures from the end of the year in May... I look NOTHING like that now... I looked like I had been blown up with an air pump in those pics. My capris still fit me in the waist due to elastic... but are sooooooooooooo baggy in the butt. I was all stomach... no butt to begin with... LOL. I have dresses that were snug on me before that HANG on me now. It is nice! The support group I go to in Birmingham is having a plus size yard sale at the end of Sept. Hopefully I can sell some of my big things and take the money to buy me some new things that fit!

Lori

30. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 6, 2003

Great job

It sounds like you are doing great. Not just weight loss but also, you are back at work? I havent loss nearly that weight. But also instead of gaining all summer, I have lost 7 pounds which I am super proud of. One meal at a time, one pound, one inch, one dress size at a time.....You need to put an avatar of your before and after picture! I am sure you feel as beautiful as you are looking but just remember your insides need to catch up with the changes too. Mentally you need to keep strong!

31. luv2teach

luv2teach Rookie

Sep 6, 2003

good job! Keep it up!!:D :) :p ;) :cool: :D

32. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 6, 2003

I haven't gone back to school yet. Planning on going back on the 11th. I have a doc appointment on the 10th. I'm going to start off with a short week then hopefully the full week won't be as bad. :)

I'll have to scan a new pic once I get one snapped. As soon as I do, I'll try to get it put on here :)

Lori

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 6, 2003

It is great to hear that the weight loss happens so quickly and is so encouraging to you. You probably feel like a different person. Hope you continue to feel better and better.

34. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Sep 6, 2003

I am so glad you are feeling better. That surgery sometimes does not have a hpayy ending. I fight everyday to keep off the 45 lbs I lost since Nov. It is getting a little easier now because the way of life in now becoming a habit. Being back to work is helping because I am so busy I forget about food until I get home. Plus I never sit down from 6 am until 3 except for a 20 min lunch. All that activity had me lose a pound on one week without even trying.

You are going to LOVE shopping for clothes. I could dance out of the dressing room. I went from a tight 18 to a 12 or sometimes a 10.
    Eileen