Update on my situation from my other thread...

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by skyline, Dec 16, 2019.

1. skyline

skyline Companion

Dec 16, 2019

Since my other thread was locked down, I didn't get to give an update on the conclusion of the bullying situation I experienced as a student teacher. Steps were taken at the college with my student teaching supervisor to address the inappropriate interactions. This included retraining and other things.

The cooperating teacher I was placed with noticed the abnormal incidents and started making comments to me about them, which was very validating, given I had not told her about the problems with my supervisor from the previous semester. I wanted her to just be a witness to what was said and done when my supervisor came for observations, so she formed her own opinion about it. She noticed it without me saying one negative word about my supervisor. I kept the notion in mind that I was going to be professional and gather enough evidence that couldn't be explained away by the bully.

The whole thing was a very long, stressful road that took time to resolve. One key thing I took away is a person needs social support when dealing with such a situation. Keep doing what you know is right, stay strong and objective, and seek support from people you trust.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 16, 2019

That's fantastic! Glad this second placement is giving you the tools and room you need to complete your practicum.

futuremathsprof and skyline like this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jan 5, 2020

Good for you!!!!! I am so happy for you that it all is working out. You handled it in a way that will prepare you for teaching in public schools! You kept it professional, documented, and had witnesses. That should be a class called ED 101 ! :) It is hard to do and you've got a leg up on some already teaching.

skyline likes this.
  5. skyline

skyline Companion

Jan 10, 2020

Hi Tired Teacher, thank you! I just signed off on a very good final evaluation. One of the better ones they've seen from what I was told. My supervisor covered it all up very well in the end. But, this has had major ramifications in my life.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2020

You will only have ramifications if you carry it with you. Move on and prosper.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jan 10, 2020

Awesome on the eval! I am happy for you. I am thinking by ramifications, you are talking about the medical condition. That is kind of hard to move on from!, but I'd definitely agree w/ the prosper! ;)

skyline likes this.
  8. skyline

skyline Companion

Feb 8, 2020

Forgot to hit reply to Tired Teacher, so I deleted and re-posted.

9. skyline

skyline Companion

Feb 8, 2020

Tired Teacher, I appreciate your down-to-earth support as I went through that insanity. I especially appreciate you taking the time to share your story about the older student teacher you know who was placed with a negative CT. The one you helped find a "normal" placement. It gave me hope to try again even when I was afraid of being placed in another bad match.

Right now, my medical team has been poking and prodding me, so it hasn't been much fun. It was eye opening and upsetting at one of my appointments recently with a new doctor. The doctor asked me if I had been under stress and said the autoimmune disease that the blood work I've had so far suggests can be triggered by stress. I'm going for more blood work again today. More testing is still needed to look into damage to different organs. I'm just trying to get well enough to figure out what's next.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Feb 8, 2020

When reading your experience, it reminded me so much of my friend. I am sorry you are going through all of the poking , prodding, and uncertainty. Extreme stress can wreak havoc on the body, for sure! I hope your tests come back OK. Hopefully, the future will be much brighter.
    I don't know why some people are so mean. We have 1 at our school that I have avoided for a long time as much as possible. She yells and insults people. She wants everyone to do everything her way because she is so sure that her way is right. She has all of the traits for Narcissistic Personality Disorder and a dual diagnosis. She lies, gossips and spreads lies about people w/out any conscience..
    It is never really personal ( even though it feels like it if you are the 1) because she has done it to all of us at different times. She self medicates, and the drs change her meds sometimes. She can act like 2 different people and some of the men refer to her as Sybilll.
    Admin is even scared of her. She documents majorly and goes "over their heads" to get her own way. One P even admitted he can't do anything about her to someone I know..
    I love having a strong union, but if it weren't for the union, she'd have been gone a long time ago.
    I have less than 4 months to go, and I am done. I seriously feel horrible about leaving a couple of people behind because we buffer each other.
    Since I will have a lot of free time, I plan on writing w/ documentation what she has done to teachers and our school for my Exit interview. She has been on their radar before because so many parents took their kids out of her class over the years after she yelled at them and told them pretty much that they are bad parents. Many have complained too. Maybe some "heat" from higher up will make her back off.
    Anyways, I think I just meant to say: There are mean people almost everywhere. We need to learn to spot them, stay away, not take stuff personal, disengage, and get out if it affects us too much.
    I think you have learned that the hard way w/ it taking such a toll on your health. At 1 time, I learned it too the " hard way." Now you can be really strong about what you tolerate in your future. You know that there is something better out there.