Update on my math centers-suggestions?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Oct 16, 2010.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2010

I am still working through my creation of math centers, and am hoping that if any of you have further advice, or would even like to comment/make suggestions about what I am doing, please do.

This past week I introduced math centers (thanks for everyone's help here). This is the first time I have done math centers (we do daily 3, so they know about rotations, and we do Friday centers, so they are used to the format). Here is how I am doing math now:
    Monday: Spiral review/calendar....direct instruction...individual math practice

Tuesday:Spiral review...calendar....math centers (I meet with group A, there are only 2 rotations either meet with me & folder, or hands-on and folder).

Wednesday: Spiral review...Calendar....math centers (2 rotations: I meet with group B and then they do folder, all other groups do hands-on and folder).

Thursday:Spiral review...Calendar...math centers (2 rotations: I meet with group C and then they do folder, all other groups do hands-n and folder).

So, it seemed to go ok, but as always, I just feel so edgy during centers because there is so much going on. The centers are 20 minutes long, but still, I feel rushed. Also, it is taking longer to do math now....But, this is the only way I can figure out to do this. My kids have anywhere from 2-3 specials a day, so that's 2-3 hours a day they are in another class...

Any comments on how I am doing my centers (hopefully my explanation isn't too confusing), or suggestions? Any tips? I hope this next week goes better, not to say this past week was a total flop, but we will have a few visitors in another week because we are going through a second accreditation, and I will likely be observed. I just want to get this perfected by then.

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Oct 16, 2010

no advice, but good luck with the accreditation. We just went through our first this week and got the recommendation for accreditation which is awesome for us!

I do Math Centers only once a week on Fridays. I have 4 centers for about 20 minutes or so each. I spend the rest of the week doing some whole group and some small group/partner work. It seems to be working well with both my groups of kids. I use that center time to review skills through games/hands on activities. I often pull a small group to work on things that they are struggling with. My math scores so far have been pretty good...

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2010

Thanks, TeachingHicks. Congrats on the recommendation for the accreditation. :)