Update on my job searching

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BioAngel, Mar 25, 2010.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 25, 2010

Hi all,
    I'm not sure where the time went but its been about 2 months since I found at my position will not be available next school year. I've been trying really hard to stay positive, but it is so tempting to be upset at the administrators and other teachers who are staying. Still at this point, I know they will help me get a job-- everybody has been really positive with how I've worked (thankfully).

So I got some good news... there's a charter school about 2 towns south of me (I'm guessing about a 20 minute commute or around that depending on weather and traffic) that has been doing very well (they also have schools in NYC and NY state). It seems like a very promising school--- the schedule and standards are set VERY high for these students and they have a great professional development program for teachers (almost a month of work prior to starting the school year and special days during each week). It seems exactly what I've been looking for-- I want to improve student lives, but I also want to learn myself.

I got approved on the application and had my first phone interview on Tuesday. I was SOO nervous (it was my 3rd interview for teaching ever), but I made sure to send a follow-up email to point out more about me that I overlooked during the interview. They said to wait 1 to 2 weeks, but I was emailed TODAY (that's 2 days) and I'll be speaking to the principal sometime this weekend. (Yes this school works so hard they will do interviews over the weekend)

I'm very excited--- but the only issue is that I've never worked in a charter school (only private schools) and I know they're different from public schools. I've checked out their web-site already, but what questions should I ask them about the school?

(Send good interviewing vibes please!!! :thanks:)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2010

Good luck!!

From all you've said, it looks very promising!!! What would you be teaching?

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2010

Sounds good! Good luck!

5. BioAngel

Mar 25, 2010

I'm not sure if the principal is from the high school or the middle school. So it's either middle school science (which is what I want the most) or high school biology. Three to four sections (I'm teaching 4 right now) and around 20 students were class, which is slightly bigger than this year where I have 13, 14, 14, 15 (56 in total).

But I'm going to take it as a very good sign that I was told to wait 1-2 weeks to hear back and it only took 2 days :cool:

6. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Mar 25, 2010

Congratulations on getting the interview! Good luck!

7. BioAngel

Mar 27, 2010

I was up early this morning for my second interview and got really discouraged when the time passed by and no phone call :( I thought maybe it was just some email issues so I sent the lady another email about setting up another time.

Turns out the interview is TOMORROW (Sunday), not today (Saturday). Stupid me... but at least it was with the coordinator and not the principal. She even put a smiley in her response back to me--- I know we all make silly mistakes like that.

Wish me luck!! I feel really good about this :)

8. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Mar 27, 2010

Good luck. Even though you had the date wrong, it makes you look good because you were heavily anticipating the interview and followed-up on it.

9. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Mar 27, 2010

Good luck! I know you will do well!

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2010

Good luck!!

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2010

Best of luck!

12. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Mar 27, 2010

Good luck tomorrow!! I know you will do a fabulous job!

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 27, 2010

Good Luck! Make sure to let us know how it goes.

14. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Mar 27, 2010

You are going to be great tomorrow! Just let your passion for teaching shine through!

15. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2010

Good luck!

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2010

I hope all goes well for your interview today. It seems very positive.

17. BioAngel

Mar 28, 2010

Thank you all for the good vibes--- I could hardly sleep last night (had stuff on my mind) so I was rather tired. I was awake enough though for the interview and I did my best to curb how many times I said "uhm". I was still anxious--- that's why I usually do better in person and while teaching.

But overall I think I did well and I believe I'm someone who will fit exactly what they are looking for. I told them that as a weakness that I'm trying to improve on is that I'm a new-ish teacher (I've only taught for 2 years) but I don't see that as a negative. I'm still learning new teaching methods and new ways to assess.

They have spring break this week so I'll have to wait awhile to get any feedback about the position. But the principal did say that I shouldn't worry about waiting that long--- maybe its a hint that it looks good for me???

Now I have to start studying some physics and chemistry to ace this license test...

18. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2010

Glad it well! Hope you hear some good news soon!

19. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2010

Good luck. Will be more than happy to answer any chemistry and physics questions that you might have? What would you be teaching?

20. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Mar 28, 2010

Sounds like you have a good chance! Will certainly be thinking of you and wishing you all the best!

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2010

Yay! That sounds very promising! Can't wait to add you to our list!!! :D

22. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Mar 28, 2010

Not to rain on your parade but I just read your posts and are you the least bit concerned that these people are working on a Sunday? And that they might expect that from you as well???

From what I understand charter schools set their own hours and expectations...I would be cautious in finding out their expectations of you, hours, meetings, etc....

Make sure you know ALL the details...:)