Update on my classroom move (grrrrr...)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2012

In May I was told I was being moved from my current room to a room half the size.

"Don't worry, you can take your time moving this summer."

School got out on June 7. Friday, June 8, I was back in and started tearing down my old room and moving stuff to my new room. I'm having to go through every box, bin, drawer, and cabinet, item by item, and decide what I can keep and what I need to give or throw away. So it's a long process and I was thinking at least two whole weeks of work.

No one is allowed access to their rooms at my school when the custodians or an administrator is not there.

June 11 and 12 (Monday and Tuesday) I had training.

June 13 and 14 I was back in my room. By now, everything that was ever stored is now out on desks, so I can go through it. Thus far, I've filled two very large garbage cans.

Friday, June 15 I had to get ready for a two week vacation.

We left on vacation that weekend, and returned on July 3.

July 5 and 6 (Thursday and Friday) I was back in the room working again. I get everything off the walls, and start going through files to make sure that I don't throw away anything that's confidential or important.

That weekend, our cat had surgery. My wife asked me to stay home and care for him. So July 9 and 10 (monday and tuesday) I stayed home.

Tuesday I get an email from the principal

"You need to come and clean up your old classroom as soon as possible. The custodians are done with all classrooms except yours ... They cannot clean until you get your things out. They cannot move ____ until you get your things out. I went in there and it is a big mess. Please email me back as soon as you read this. Custodians are waiting on you!
    Thank you,"

The principal also said that if I didn't get in there by the next day, she would clean it herself, which would be bad since I'd end up with either important stuff thrown away and/or what I considered to be garbage moved to my new room.

So I get to school the next day, and on my NEW classroom door there is a sign "WET FLOOR, DO NOT ENTER."

So even if I had gone in those two days I took off, I'd have had to turn around and go home since the floor in my new room was wet from just having been waxed.

So I manage to go in yesterday and get everything out of my old room. I probably ended up moving a truckload of stuff that I'll need to get rid of but at least the custodians started cleaning and now I'm (hopefully) on my own timeline for getting my new classroom ready for next year.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

Oh Sarge, I'm so sorry. What a mess!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

Let your P know how much time you ave already invested this summer in this unwanted move. Ask for boxes, rolling carts and custodial staff to help move the heavy things. I WOULD NOT be doing this all on my own.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

Wow, that's a bit rude seeing as how this is an involuntary move and you're doing this on your own, unpaid time. The email at least could have been written a bit nicer. Perhaps offering to help instead of rudely saying they'll do it on their own.

6. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 12, 2012

I have to agree with Peachyness and czacza... I wonder sometimes if administrators really know how much of our free time is used to work on schoolwork and our classrooms...

7. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

I would be really upset. I could totally see something like that happening at my school. I am sorry you are going through it though. Not fun.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

Wow, I am so sorry, Sarge!

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

Did you ever tell us why they wanted you to make this switch?

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2012

It's not the total time I have to spend but rather the magically short amount of time I suddenly had to do it in.

I'm pretty sure that when they told me I was moving, I said I'd be out of town the last half of June. That gave me four days to move after school got out. Then, when I got back, I had two more days if you subtract the two that there was a wet floor in my new classroom.

So out of those six days available, I came in five of them.

What I think the principal wished I had done is boxed everything up, cleaned out my drawers, and let custodial move me. They would have moved all of my stuff into the multipurpose room, cleaned both rooms, and then crammed everything into my new room.

That would have made admin's life easy, but I would have been faced with a disaster when I got back. I would have had to handle everything twice and custodial would have been hauling boxes and boxes of stuff that I was probably going to end up discarding.

11. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

Changing grades or classrooms are always a hassle. Most administrators forget what it is like to be a classroom teacher. I wish you all the best in the sorting and organizing.
    A good rule of thumb as a educational stuff hoarder, toss things that were not used for two or more years.

Good luck Sarge

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2012

Geez... some people are just thoughtless! Or, as my daughter used to quote from her favorite show... "How rude!"

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

I actually went into my school (and gave up a day of Sub pay) in June to switch my future class into another room and help the other teacher move his stuff (we traded rooms, I was an LTS there last year, full time next year which is why I went in). One positive was that the other teacher who was leaving got rid of anything that was garbage and took a bunch of stuff home.

I have a motor in me to get stuff done when I want to. I banged the whole job out in around 3 hours.

14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2012

Does your contract have any language about this. I would think you should have been given a sub so you could pack.

15. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 12, 2012

So, if you say, pull your back while doing this, is the district going to acknowledge a workman's comp claim?

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

That was rude at the very least.

17. catlover

catlover Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

I agree that it was rude and uncalled for. I'm something of a busy-body, so take this with a grain of salt -- if it were me, I'd probably go in and talk to the P about the implication and tone of the email. In my opinion, if the P comes upon some evidence that suggests I somehow failed to carry out a responsibility of my job, I would expect the P to talk to me to see what's up. What your P did was jump to a conclusion and then issue a threat ("do it immediately or I'll do it myself"), which is a poor management decision.

I hope things start looking up!

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

Good luck Sarge! It can definitely be frustrating when admin changes their mind and doesn't look into the details.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

Being an LTS, you probably had less personal stuff in the room than a teacher like Sarge, who had been in the room for some time, would have. It's easier to pitch stuff when it's not yours.:2cents:

20. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jul 12, 2012

For rude!!!!

Enjoy the rest of the summer.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

Sorry you had to go through that. That sounds like a pain, plus you were told you could take your time moving. Obviously not. Hopefully the worst of it is behind you now.

22. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

Yea, I was just commenting on my moving experience. I had only what the teacher left in the room. All my stuff that I have purchased is taking up a bedroom in my home. I have to move it soon before someone in my home gets irritated and throws it in the yard. Someday's I feel like throwing it in the yard myself. I'm planning to run it down to my classroom in the next few weeks.

23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2012

You deserve a medal for everything you have done to accommodate them. Sorry this is happening.

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

:hugs: Sarge...that was so rude and uncalled for. Shame on your P!

25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 12, 2012

I've always made sure to pack up my entire room before the last day of school--that way, the custodians could move my things. Actually, I think all principals I've worked for have insisted that we pack up everything prior to the last day (if we're moving).

26. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2012

Maybe that was my problem. I prefer to move myself.

I could have gone that route - box everything up and have the custodians move it. But, as I said, it would have made my "Great Purge of 2012" that much more difficult. There was virtually no way that everything in my old room was going to fit in the new room. And the custodians would move everything - even student desks and the teacher desk.

27. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 13, 2012

Sorry to hear it's become even more of a hassle.

I know I did it completely the wrong way when they moved my classroom and like you said just packed everything up thinking I'd go through it when I unpacked. I had sooooo much anxiety that week-I thought we'd have to start school with a bunch of boxes in the middle of the room-because it did turn out to be a lot more than I had anticipated-cleaning out file cabinets, closets, etc.