UPDATE on cat who was taken to the pound/shelter

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2011

So, we went to the shelter right as they opeend up this morning. They took us back to ID the cat. After passing rows upon rows of cats, they took us into a room where our cat was indeed being held captive. :(

So, they took us back to the front where they explained that, while they couldn't tell us who or why, someone did indeed bring our cat to them. Oh, and apparently, our cat was scheduled to be put down on the 30th of December. It was indeed a KILL shelter. I didn't know that. I thought this new shelter was a no-kill one!!!! :( So, for some reason, his death was postponed (luck, my fairy-god mother??). Anyways, since our cat has been there for longer than 5 days, we had to readopt our cat which meant fees upon fees. We have to pay for several things including border, chip, adoption fees, etc. But, I am VERY ANNOYED with the civil penalty fee*. What is that and why are we playing $35 for that. I plan to look it up.

BUT what get's my dander up is why someone in our neighborhood took him in the first place. He always hangs around our little court, always nearby or in our neighbors house (he doesn't mind, the cat belonged to him originally). It just scares me that if we had waited any longer, he would be dead.

I can't believe anyone can just take my cat and I have to pay to get him back. CATNAPPING is what I call this! Poo!

*Just looked it up. "A civil penalty is a monetary fine that is designed to compensate for harm". Hmmm, now why am I being punished here?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2011

Is it possible the person who found your cat didn't know who he belonged to? You said he didn't have an ID, right? Poor, poor little thing. I'm sure he was frightened.

I obviously don't know your kitty but I am beyond happy he's alive. How tragic that would have been. I kind of, okay I do have emotional breakdowns when I think of all the animals killed each year. My husband pleads for me to stop researching animal rights issues, but for whatever reason I feel compelled to. Heart. Breaking.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 3, 2011

So glad he is ok! Yes...angel...fairy godmother...whatever...thank goodness they postponed it!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2011

No, he didn't have ID. Now, I've never owned a cat before so I didn't really know how it worked. My neighbor's cats do not have any visible collars and my in-laws cats also didn't have visible collars. Now, I'm assuming they have chips, but who knows. ANyways, it was my fault for not having been more pro-active in getting him proper id's.

BUT, who would pick up our cat and take them to a kill-shelter??? That's what bugs me. What was he doing that warranted that action?

I mean, I've been annoyed with neighbors animals before, but NEVER have I thought, "I'll take this dog/cat to the shelter. That'll teach 'em!"

Sigh...and walking through the building with ALL of those poor cats looking helplessly at you broke my heart. I was in tears and couldn't look at them anymore.

Oh, and my cat was furious at us. And I'm sure scared.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2011

Yes. I may have a LOT of bad luck in my life, but for some reason, good things DO tend to happen to me when I really need it.

7. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Jan 3, 2011

Sadly most shelters do become kill shelters at some point. My daughter is crazy about cats. Sometimes I get frustrated with her because she can't always pay her bills but her cats get new toys.

She works(volunteers) at a shelter that does everything in thier power to save cats. They foster them to volunteers (my daughter has 2 foster and 2 of her own) and they hold adoption days at petsmart almost every weekend. Still once in a while they just can not keep a cat, maybe it doesn't get along with other cats or they have no more room or foster owners left. They are always sad and do everything in thier power to find an alternative. It breaks my daughters heart too, but if her landlord finds out she has 4 cats when she only had 1 when she moved in they will all be homeless.

It is sad that people do not get pets spayed or neutered and then they just abandon or "drop off" the young and don't worry about what happens next.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2011

If I were you, I'd keep the kitty indoors. Cats are just as happy hunting their food bowl as they are chasing mice.

9. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jan 3, 2011

Most loose cats in my neighborhood will not come up to you or allow you to pick them up, so if that person could get ahold of your cat, they should probably have known that it was a pet, not wild.

My cat refuses to wear a collar, so he has no ID. He's an inside cat anyway.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2011

Sarge, I would love to, really. But hubby is opposed to it, especially after having worked as a carpet cleaner for his brother's company.

I do have indoor rabbits (at my other house- parents are renting it, but my bunnies still live at the same house- I figured they would be happier staying there than at my new house), and those little buggers did quite a number on the carpet.

So, hubby is adamant about keeping this cat outdoor.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2011

Lots of cats get picked up by the pound because it's easier to pick up one cat than it is to pick up hundreds of their kittens if that one cat is left to procreate.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2011

Right... but this cat wasn't picked up by the pound. It's neutered. And someone in my neighborhood brought him in.

ETA: We actually think we know who did it and why, but it's all assumptions right now.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 4, 2011

Here, it's illegal to keep an outside cat. Ours goes out the dog door sometimes, and I'm always terrified that she's going to get rounded up. Some people feel very strongly about cats belonging indoors.

We have a family in our neighborhood who routinely calls animal control on every pet owner. We've been investigated a few times, after which the people roll their eyes and leave.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 4, 2011

I grew up out in the country-our cat went out at night and came back in the morning. We had a collar on her for awhile but she got hung up on something at some point. She was gone for several days and it actually got infected. I'm not sure I'd put a collar on an outdoor cat again.

In the city here we have cats all over the neighborhood. Put the same cats have been roaming forever-like you said, I would never think to take it to a shelter.

When I got my puppy I was determined to get a rescue-it was soooo depressing looking at all the pictures of dogs and cats that were in the shelters-I couldn't physically go until I had chosen one or I probalby would have come home with 12:p. Poor babies. At least yours is home now. It does seem odd to have to pay fees if there's no law that cats have to be indoors. A dog-leash laws-I could understand that. But if your area doesn't have anything like that for cats, I would be annoyed too.

15. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jan 4, 2011

Glad you have your cat back Peachy!

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 4, 2011

The good news is that the chip will assure that this will NEVER happen again.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2011

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but....

My sister's dogs got out a few years back. The lady that found them looked at their tags and saw an out of state number, so while she wrote it down, she didn't call (my sister had just moved). She called the pound. The pound didn't scan the dogs. If they had, the would have discovered that both dogs were chipped. Instead, they renamed them and plastered their obviously well taken care of faces all over their website, putting them up for adoption. The lady that found them finally called my sister several days later "just in case." My sister found them just in time. Magpie is a sickly dog, and was on death's door without her meds. They also wanted to operate on her, because my sister couldn't find the vet records (they'd just moved) to prove that she was spayed. My sister kept telling them to just scan the dogs, that information was all there. They flat out refused, AND wanted to charge her more because the dogs "weren't altered". In exasperation, she finally said, of the male dog "Just look between his legs!". It was a harrowing experience for everybody, and Magpie never fully recovered.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2011

MM, I told my hubby that we need to make it a habit to ALWAYS check the animal center's website to make sure someone didn't catnap our cat again and take it to them. I also don't trust that they will always scan our pet. I know my vet would, but I don't trust this animal "shelter". :(

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2011

Peach~glad you got your kitty back. I would be lost if something like that happened to my kittems!

mm~what a sad situation your sister's dogs were in.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 4, 2011

What an ordeal! So glad your cat wasn't put down!

When I was starting middle school, I got a cat who eventually had a litter & I kept one of those kittens, so we had two, but my parents didn't want them inside the house, except very rarely, so they actually got doghouses for each cat & tied them up outside since cats wander & we didn't want them to get hit by cars, etc. (They had a good amount of walking room.) At one time, someone called the animal control, I guess for tying up cats, but when the animal control officer came to the house to talk to my parents, they weren't penalized one bit. The officer actually commended my parents for actually tying them up & said he wished more people did that (to prevent strays, cats getting hit by cars, etc).

I'm sure no one's ever heard of tying up a cat before, but that's what they did. I'd NEVER tie up & leave ANY pet outside if I had any say.

21. KDS

KDS Companion

Jan 4, 2011

Oh, and my cat was furious at us. And I'm sure scared.[/QUOTE]

There is NOTHING like a cat being mad at you!!! Glad she is safe!

When we adopted 'my' cat, we got him tags etc. He kept wiggling out of the collar. ANYWAY, i had to go into the hospital for about 5 days 2 months after we got him.
    When i got home, i was sitting on the bed and Capt'n jumped onto the bed, stomped across my legs over to the chair where my hubby was sitting. Then climbed on him and made a big production of turning his back to me...flicking his tail (his version of swearing)...and laid down.

hope yours gets over being mad! :rolleyes:

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2011

:lol: KDS, I remember my cat doing that with me. I had been in the hospital for a month with premature labor (kept her in though for another 4 weeks!). He slept right next to dh the whole time I was gone. After dd was born, she was in the NICU for 5 weeks. When I came home, that cat wouldn't let me out of his site. Wellllll, when the dd came home, you would have thought I'd wounded that cat!! He ignored me and would always go over to dh and lay with him. He finally came around!

23. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 4, 2011

I am glad you got your cat back but really to be fair, I don't think it was catnapping. The cat had no tag to say it belonged to anyone so for all anyone knows it could have been a stray cat. Maybe someone meant well and thought if they brought it to a shelter someone would adopt it? Maybe they do not know about outdoor cats? You said yourself you thought this shelter was a no-kill so maybe they thought that.

The reason I mention this is that if a cat came up to me, I might think to bring it to a shelter. Where I grew up, outdoor cats were really unheard of and I wouldn't even think it was an outdoor cat. I would think that maybe if I brought it to a shelter it might have a chip in it.

24. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 4, 2011

In fact, this whole outdoor cat thing is very confusing to me. So, does the cat never go inside? What about to sleep and eat? Do you play with the cat or is it only around you when it eats? Sorry I truly no nothing about this!

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2011

I've had several outdoor cats. Most of them were feral cats that I trapped/altered/released. Booger, before he was mine, was an indoor/outdoor cat, and it wasn't until a major injury that I could keep him inside. Actually, to this day he's an escape artist (he can open my front door if it's not deadbolted), though he's content to hang out on the porch when he does get outside.

Speaking of cats being mad, Booger did the whole turn his but to me and flick his tail for at least two months after we moved. Poor kitty was livid after a 5 day drive.

26. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 4, 2011

I am so glad you got your cat back and your cat got you back :)

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2011

I am glad you got your cat back as well. I do have to say though I am annoyed with my neighbor's 6 cats who are allowed to roam outside all the time. They like to use my trees as scratching posts, and when we had a sandbox it became a litter box for them. I also have lots of bird feeders and they have more than once killed some of the birds in my yard! :mad:

I'm not saying your cat does this Peachy, but it is from another point of view as a neighbor. I don't let my dog wander into their yard, so honestly why is it ok for cats to wander?

28. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 4, 2011

I grew up out in the country and we had an outside cat. I tried sneaking her in twice. She freaked out both times and tried to tear down the door to get out. She HATED the inside. (When we got her fixed she had to stay on the screened in porch for a night, it was a miserable night for us all.) She lived to be 17, and had a very happy life. She hunted when she felt like it, but mostly just birds in the yard. She sometimes had a flea collar, but never a tag. Collars didn't survive long with her.

29. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 4, 2011

Maybe it's a southern thing because outdoor cats are very common around here. I would imagine it has something to do with the weather (because they *can* survive year round outside here). I agree that trying to convert an outside cat to an inside cat is really difficult. Some of them make the adjustment okay, but others hate it and will fight tooth and nail to get out.

The cat is fixed and has a chip in it now, and that's about all you can do for it as this point. If you think you know who turned your cat in, and you don't want to ask him/her directly, maybe you could go by and explain what all has happened as though you are clueles as to how your cat was picked up. Let them know that the cat is fixed, etc, and how horrible the whole process was for you and the cat. It's a little passive aggressive, but hey! Sometimes that works! LOL

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2011

Honestly, we had more cats than I could possibly remember growing up. We had so many most were not named...probably because we knew few survived the many perils of the farm as they were all outdoor cats. The farm environment meant for many tragic animal deaths...being ran over by the milk man, falling into buckets of oil in the barn, drowning in the manure pit. We cared for them, but not sufficiently. Of course, I didn't realize that at the time. Sad. Anyway, point is, outdoor cats are as normal as can be here. If I had a cat I wouldn't want that personally, but people wouldn't think a thing of it.

31. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2011

Farm cats are very normal around here, even in the winter. The considerate farmers make sure there's a barn where they can get out of the elements, and keep them fed. They also find homes for most of the kittens, but the cats are farm cats, and aren't treated with the same love and attention as house cats.

32. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2011

On a farm, that's understandable. But in a suburban neighborhood? I just don't understand that. No offense, but I think it's rude to allow a cat(s) to roam and do whatever it pleases in the neighbor's yard. The neighbor's cats upset my dogs (who live in the house and stay in our own yard, btw), and cause them to bark when they saunter over and spend the afternoon sitting under the bird feeders and scratching the trees in OUR yard.

33. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2011

I agree. Farm kitties are one thing, but it sounds like you live pretty close to the road. If you really can't let the cat in the house, I would probably try to find a new home for it.

Also, if I found a cat outside, I would take it to a shelter, too. I would assume that's the first place someone would look if they were missing their cat, I wouldn't expect for a cat to be outside in that neighborhood, and honestly, I would rather the cat be euthanized than hit by a car.

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2011

Well, I totally understand where you guys are coming from. That said, a lot of you guys seem shocked that people have outdoors cats. As we all know, things are very different from one region to another. Every single person I know who has a cat, allow them to go in and out of the house. There are a lot of cats that roam our neighborhood. It's not just our cat. We live in a cul-de-sac there is no heavy through traffic. It's a very quiet neighborhood.

35. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 4, 2011

My first cat was an outdoor cat.

That cat would roam around the house (1 acre property) and hunt moles.

Deer were scared of the cat.

He would lie in the middle of the road to warm up.

HIgh schoolers would walk up to the cat to pet it, as many people knew our cat.

Our cat would proceed to play-attack them.

It was hilarious to watch.

The cat died at like 15 after a stroke.

36. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2011

He sounds like a cutie! And he had a nice long life. :)

37. KDS

KDS Companion

Jan 4, 2011

When i lived in the Hill Country in Tx, i lived behind a golf course. My cat, Moon, would hang out on the golf course occasionally. Sometimes on Sunday mornings, i would hear the smack of a golf ball and then the yells of some poor guy when Moon ran out and chased the ball.
    How that cat lived and didnt get his little head bashed in, i will never know.
    he also would sleep under the house. one time when i had the lawn cut, the guy (when i was paying him) said, "oh...and no charge for the snake" uhh...snake??? Apparently, there was a 5 ft snake that lived in one corner under the house...and let Moon have the rest. oy!

38. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 5, 2011

That cat was evil to most people :p

My parents said that when they used to live in an apartment (before my brother and I were even born), they had the cat.

One of my mom's brothers is 6'6"

He entered the apartment one time

The cat freaked out and jumped at him.

The cat missed and stuck onto the wall next to his head.

39. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

My cats are strictly indoor pets and I would be as upset as you if one of them got out and were picked up by animal control. I'm so glad you got yours back safely.

40. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2011

Having both Dogs and cats I still like dogs better but I have had my share of cats
    My Last cat (really my son's), Simba, head butts you when he was your attention
    As for chips My son chips all the animals. This Friday I will be chipping my Dog when she gets her shots.

As for a KILL shelter When My sister passed away I did take her 3 cats to a No KILL shelter. It was very had to place them because they were traumatized by her death and the strangers in the house but they placed them with a lady who had a barn attached to her house.

Feral Cats are a major problem in many areas of the country. So far the best solution is to neuter or spay them and return them to the location where they were caught. When you remove a non "Fixed" cat from an area another non "fixed" cat take its place BUT if you return the fixed one it resumes it place in the "cat society" without breeding more feral kittens.

I am so glad that you were able to retrieve your cat the fees sound way out of line I would check the ordinances of your area and see if they are following them.